Rock Creek Wildfire

Fire-related topics
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Rock Creek Wildfire

Post by MAPearce »

BUTT..... There is NO proof that a lit cig tossed from a car started this fire....

NO surprise there...

Sheesh.. Chase the wrong cause because it the thing to do while the real cause can do more damage because it goes undetected...

All you anti smoking freaks need to pull your *bleep* out of your heads.. really.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

^^^yes!!! common sense! don't jump on the bandwagon before there IS a bandwagon. In the same breath for any smokers (I am one).....carry a water bottle with you at all times and butt the smokes there, very simple and no problems then, right? and you will never be the cause of this sort of devastation! will get blamed regardless...but at least will know it wasn't you!
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

there is no proof that it wasnt a cigarette either so dont pat yourselves on the back too hard
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

voice of reason wrote:there is no proof that it wasnt a cigarette either so dont pat yourselves on the back too hard

This coming from someone with a "handle" such as yours ??...........You're NOT hearing the "voice" you claim to be...

OBVIOUSLY.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

hay guise, is this the "idiot cigarette butt tossers cause forest fires" thread? Couldn't find it earlier...
Your bias suits you.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-146136-3-.htm#146136

A man who may have been riding his ATV on back roads near Rock Creek in the hours before a destructive wildfire exploded on Thursday has not been seen in days.

Matthew Straume, 39, was last seen about 10:30 a.m. Thursday near Greenwood.

He had been planning to take his ATV from Greenwood to Beaverdell using forest service roads, however, he did not arrive at his destination.

Straume is described as:

Five feet eight inches tall
170 pounds
stubble on his face
short, curly brown hair
The ATV is red, but the make or model is unknown.

If anyone sees or hears from Straume, they are asked to contact Midway RCMP at 250-449-2244.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Woodenhead wrote:hay guise, is this the "idiot cigarette butt tossers cause forest fires" thread? Couldn't find it earlier...

It is....

You read the latest "update",right?
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Aug 17th, 2015, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

Being caught on video isn't proof enough for you?
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

^^^. The above comment (not Bob) should be in a different thread where rude and obnoxious are common place. As this is not that thread, and as the person who stated they saw someone chuck a butt and that it was on video was proven to be wrong at this point in time...and as they "believe" the fire to be "human caused" with no conclusion brought forward to this point...maybe a person/s should keep it to pertinent information? The only people "patting them self on the back" should be the firefighters and volunteers taking care of things!
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

Photo: Facebook
Contrary to published reports, there is no "smoking gun" when it comes to the cause of the Rock Creek wildfire.

Media reports have blown up with speculation since Sunday that video exists of a cigarette butt flicker who may have started the destructive blaze.

When Premier Christy Clark was asked about that possibility during tours of the fire scenes in Rock Creek and Oliver, she said fire officials would scour highway webcams to see if that's true. That got twisted to become "butt flicker caught on camera," or words to that effect, by the time social media had a field day with the story.

The truth is somewhat less sensational.

Ben Chin, with the Office of the Premier, said Monday that staff did indeed check highway webcams. The nearest one to the spot where the Rock Creek blaze is believed to have started is two kilometres away.

"We're not in possession of any video showing someone throwing a cigarette butt out their car window," he confirmed.

Chin said the story blew out of proportion when evacuees were filmed at one of the reception centres and one man was caught on tape telling other evacuees he had witnessed the alleged butt-flicking and that cameras were rolling at the time.[quote][/quote]
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Bretbaby wrote:Being caught on video isn't proof enough for you?

Proof is only proof when it actually exists. There's been nothing to confirm the resistance of this "video". If someone truly witnessed this act, I wholeheartedly believe it would already be online trying to ID a vehicle and culprit.

I was speaking to my dad tonight who worked in forest fire management for 20+ years and he said that cigarette fires are actually quite difficult to cause. It takes the right combination of embers in the cigarette, certain fuel types, the right weather/wind to feed a fire.

ETA: the ultimate purpose of my post was to say that nothing is a guarantee and nothing has been determined yet. I'm reserving actual judgement until a cause is released, if one can be determined.
Last edited by Always Sunny on Aug 17th, 2015, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

Wow, take it easy, it's just what I read in the media. I didn't know they took it back or were incorrect.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Bretbaby wrote:Wow, take it easy, it's just what I read in the media. I didn't know they took it back or were incorrect.

You condemn someone for their opinion based on "proof" which does not exist according to multiple sources.

Take it easy. I'm just stating what I read in the media.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”