Number of houses for sale has tanked

Static
Guru

Re: Number of Houses for Sale has Tanked

Post by Static »

By watching MLS.com. One can buy a nice 2 bedroom condo/apartment/townhomes for less than $225k. A few years ago you could find one for less that $250k. One can buy a decent home for less than $350k which were $450 a few years ago.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Static wrote:By watching MLS.com. One can buy a nice 2 bedroom condo/apartment/townhomes for less than $225k. A few years ago you could find one for less that $250k. One can buy a decent home for less than $350k which were $450 a few years ago.

Lol. You would have a difficult time finding "decent" real estate in Kelowna for those prices. What you might, just might, is a serious fixer upper.

The average home price in Kelowna is $542k , so realistically your numbers are quite simply incorrect. You should maybe spend less time "watching MLS.com", and look at real world pricing.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

mls.ca is what I use. mls.com is for the States. That's probably why Static is getting such low prices.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I think the level of self entitlement influences what some people may recognize as "decent."
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I've been sniffing through local MLS listings for townhouses with search parameters set at "below $300K" and I've been surprised at the number of choices out there. Some very nice looking properties in the $250Kish range. I seem to remember not too long ago that most similar properties were a lot higher.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Static wrote:One can buy a decent home for less than $350k which were $450 a few years ago.

I'd like to see a decent home for less than $350K in Kelowna :(

Seems like there's a lot of selection in 1-2 bedroom apartments and townhouses, but as far as houses go ... nothing.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:Lol. You would have a difficult time finding "decent" real estate in Kelowna for those prices. What you might, just might, is a serious fixer upper.

The average home price in Kelowna is $542k , so realistically your numbers are quite simply incorrect. You should maybe spend less time "watching MLS.com", and look at real world pricing.

LOL...I dont know why I am even replying to someone who doesnt do their homework before attempting to debate a topic is beyond me. But, http://www.realtor.ca is the website I was referring to. Do your own homework. Today's dollar buys far more shelter today than it did a few years ago. Many of the places are very nice too.

Secondly, you really need to spend less time quoting real-estate averages and look into real world finance. It will provide ample evidence that when interest rates decline, house prices increase. Furthermore, you need to look into what "average pricing" consists of. The stats are easily skewed and it does not mean the average home price in Kelowna is $542k. You may have 10 sales worth $100k then one worth $1million. This will mean the average sale price was $190k, even though 90% of sales were only $100k. What it means is that the average sale price is that, not the average house sold. The average you refer to means squat.

Please, educate yourself about how finance works a little before you try to explain real world pricing.
Last edited by Static on Aug 18th, 2015, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Captain Awesome wrote:
I'd like to see a decent home for less than $350K in Kelowna :(

Seems like there's a lot of selection in 1-2 bedroom apartments and townhouses, but as far as houses go ... nothing.

http://www.realtor.ca You will be pleasantly surprised.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Static wrote:http://www.realtor.ca You will be pleasantly surprised.

We might have different ideas when it comes to "decent", lol.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

^^^^ 1000 times better than Vancouver.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

That I agree!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Are you looking to buy a house this time Capt. A?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “North Okanagan”