Rock Creek Wildfire

Fire-related topics
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Rock Creek Wildfire

Post by Always Sunny »

Still no "proof" exists. I hesitate to believe there's such video. Only time will tell.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/146192/ ... ning-video
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Why would a resident report footage is available when the likelihood of officials following up is pretty much assured? Don't understand that one.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

I drove through the Rock Creek area yesterday and was shocked at how quiet and serene everything seemed to be. The air was very still and there next was to no smoke in the air. I didn't see any emergency vehicles or personnel except for one road worker that was directing traffic away from the 33 on-ramp. Thru-traffic on 3 was almost non-existent all the way from Osoyoos to Grand Forks.

Plenty of scorched hillsides west of Rock Creek and I did notice quite a few small structures, signs and things like that completely untouched but surrounded by burnt vegetation and trees.

There was some smoke blanketing the highway from a fire just a few minutes west of the Paulson bridge on Hwy3, but that was pretty much it. I didn't notice anyone attending that fire when I drove past.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Chin said the story blew out of proportion when evacuees were filmed at one of the reception centres and one man was caught on tape telling other evacuees he had witnessed the alleged butt-flicking and that cameras were rolling at the time.

I hope he has the footage, if not, why would he be saying that?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Quailize wrote:I hope he has the footage, if not, why would he be saying that?
Appears he doesn't. What cameras would be rolling at that particular time?
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

or maybe they have "footage" of someone saying that? and could put that person on the "hot seat", so to speak? (there are people out there who like to blurt out anything that may get someone excited, too) Or maybe it was "overheard" by someone listening to someone else tell someone else.....Who knows, in all reality, because at the beginning of this it was stated in the media it started about 3 km west of Rock Creek on Hwy 3....lastest I read says 3 Km. north of Rock Creek. lolol I figure it is time to take the media with a grain of salt. And I don't think anyone should "guess" at the cause of anything....if and when they know for definite or at least a pretty solid idea, then by all means broadcast it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

one man was caught on tape telling other evacuees he had witnessed the alleged butt-flicking and that cameras were rolling at the time.
The resident was spoken to that stated there was video yet none was produced. I expect authorities are still trying to follow up on that.
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

But didn't this person believe that it was on the highway cam, which turned out to be 2 km down the road? One never knows if what is printed is truth by any stretch! Lol. It is ridiculous, but definitely fodder for the jumping champions...jumping to conclusions, that is. But, if it does come into existence, and it is proven to be the case, I sincerely hope whoever threw the butt gets the full extent of the law thrown at them for it.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Always Sunny wrote:I was speaking to my dad tonight who worked in forest fire management for 20+ years and he said that cigarette fires are actually quite difficult to cause. It takes the right combination of embers in the cigarette, certain fuel types, the right weather/wind to feed a fire.

I couldn't agree more!
As well, have you ever seen any proof from Fire Management of a fire caused by a flicked cigarette butt?
I am still waiting to see proof from any fire officials to prove any fire started from a discarded cigarette butt.
Exempt is the resident from the Barriere area who admitted to doing so, but,I still haven't seen any proof, just speculation.

How about we ask for some proof that these fires were started by a burning cigarette?
Lets see the investigation footage clearly proving their statements!
I bet we don't ever see any, investigators just say whatever to make anti-smokers feel better, or when you don't know, blame something that a good percentage of "sheeple" can believe.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Just heard on Global news that a resident in the fire area believes the fire was caused from a downed power line on his property, so I guess we will have to wait for proof.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Verminator wrote:There was some smoke blanketing the highway from a fire just a few minutes west of the Paulson bridge on Hwy3, but that was pretty much it. I didn't notice anyone attending that fire when I drove past.

When did you drive thru?

I went by about 1:15 pm and there was a pretty decent little fire going on the west side of the highway on the hillside, just a couple of kms south of the Paulson bridge. That was probably the smoke you saw. It was going pretty good at the time.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Another case of nobody and everybody knowing the cause of the fire. Idle gossip spreads faster than a forest fire in a high wind.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

UV, I've posed the question online as a lot if my Facebook contacts are current and former forest fire fighters.

The EXACT source of ignition can be hard to determine. "Human caused" is often concluded because no "natural cause" like lightning can be confirmed.

So far I'm 3 for 3 on the "extremely unlikely to cause a fire" side.

**extremely unlikely doesn't = impossible.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Xia33 wrote:But didn't this person believe that it was on the highway cam, which turned out to be 2 km down the road?

Don't know about that but it is too bad they didn't get a licence plate of the vehicle. People have to be ready to testify in court if they do step up as a witness.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Always Sunny wrote:When did you drive thru?

I went by about 1:15 pm and there was a pretty decent little fire going on the west side of the highway on the hillside, just a couple of kms south of the Paulson bridge. That was probably the smoke you saw. It was going pretty good at the time.

I drove thru eastbound at about the same time, then the other way at around 6:15 PM. No response vehicles or personnel were in sight either time and the smoke there was VERY thick, especially on the return trip. Lots of lookie-loos on the bridge taking photos, thankfully traffic was pretty light at the time or the EMTs would be trying to fish bodies out of that gully.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”