New Mini-Mall for Penticton

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

New Mini-Mall for Penticton

Post by Anonymous123 »

Is this the way of the future? A small gathering of stores that share utilities and overhead without paying the high prices at a larger mall? Will they survive as a group rather than independently? I guess time will tell.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/146312/Goodbye-club-hello-mall
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Static
Guru

Re: New Mini-Mall for Penticton

Post by Static »

Still could be a club if the town attracted young people.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Different generation of 19-25 year olds....I know it was huge back in the day...nothing much now. Even the beach thing at night seems a little dull I hear...Hung out at the beach all night long....deads-ville at 9.

I mean Night moves is now a pawnshop...Main counter was the shot bar.

Ohwell too old for that stuff...give me a pub beer and a crappy UFC fight...good enough.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Static wrote:Still could be a club if the town attracted young people.

You are living in the past Static. I too have fond memories of days gone by but the reality is that other people also noticed what a great place Penticton was. And they came back for one last time but this time without the kids cuz they were empty nested. And they brought their capital with them and drove up the price of housing. They don't need the four night clubs that used to be here. Now they need care aides, orthopedics, mobility mechanics and denturists. Yada yada.
While we can reminisce of good times past, I have to actually say that the job opportunities are actually better now for our younger generation in serving an obvious demographic trend, rather than the 4 month a year party time jobs that became EI cheques the Monday after the Labour Day long weekend.
Penticton will never be an industrial town. It will not be mining or forestry dependent. It can't be because those resources are just not here locally. And what is wrong with recognizing retirement as an industry to exploit? There should be no shame in that. Especially when the jobs that that industry supports are very well paid and can support families.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

twobits wrote:And what is wrong with recognizing retirement as an industry to exploit? There should be no shame in that. Especially when the jobs that that industry supports are very well paid and can support families.

Speaking of living in the past it is obvious you are totally unaware of the wages paid to the majority of workers in the care industry in the Okanagan today. $12-18/hr is far from "very well paid" and certainly unable to "support families" on
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

twobits wrote: And what is wrong with recognizing retirement as an industry to exploit? There should be no shame in that. Especially when the jobs that that industry supports are very well paid and can support families.

The issue then becomes ... retiriees don't spend that much revenue therefore economic 'spin offs' are limited. Very limited and a shallow margin for economic gains.
What's wrong with diversification? Why must all out eggs be in one basket?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
my10cents

Post by my10cents »

Speaking of living in the past it is obvious you are totally unaware of the wages paid to the majority of workers in the care industry in the Okanagan today. $12-18/hr is far from "very well paid" and certainly unable to "support families" on

It's year round employment though, vs. seasonal employment during tourist season. Give your head a shake.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I think the shift for the younger ones is Festivals....like Center of gravity or Pemberton music festival with tons of artists and DJ's. Because they can bring their own booze and drugs.

Second I think it will take around 40 or 50 years to really shift the demographics because the babyboomers will all be dead and the generation of today would be less and less cause people are not having as many kids as well. or having kids late.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

my10cents wrote:
It's year round employment though, vs. seasonal employment during tourist season. Give your head a shake.

Actually it is you who needs to give your head a very serious shake if you think a person can "support a family" on $16/hr or think that is "very well paid" even if it is year round. Most workers at best receive a living wage and in most cases these jobs have little or no room for advancement. Sure Retirement Home owners, doctors, RN's and pharmacists make good money but professionals like them make up for less than 10% of the senior care workforce. Lots involved in senior care work long and strenuous hours for not a lot more than minimum wage.
Go down to a nursing home sometime and ask the workers just how much they are getting paid for the responsibility of caring for our seniors.
There are many factors which have lead to the decline of nightclubs as many of us knew them. Back then Friday night TV came in on only half a dozen channels and half the shows were geared to your mom and dad. There was no internet, cell phones or texting so we had to go meet face to face in order to have interaction with others, especially those of the opposite sex. Compared to today a larger percentage of younger people worked so had more disposable income while gas and booze were comparatively cheap not to mention drinking and driving was not taken as seriously as it is today. Getting together meant meeting your friends down at the club not skyping from your parents basement.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Do you really think there is no logging and industrial activity going on in the south Okanagan? You are kidding right? Or maybe just blinders on?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

cv23 wrote:Speaking of living in the past it is obvious you are totally unaware of the wages paid to the majority of workers in the care industry in the Okanagan today. $12-18/hr is far from "very well paid" and certainly unable to "support families" on

I am very aware of what the wages are in elder care. My youngest daughter is working in the industry. Her goal is RN but started with Care Aide certification. 8 month program and four months after certification, 22 something/hr. Now taking courses while working to be LPN. Then 28-32/hr. 12 more months or so of school and RPN at 42 plus/hr.
Probably an eight yr haul but all bought and paid for with no student loan debt at 27 yrs old.
You are the one that is friggen unaware. The health care industry in this area is going to provide thousands of opportunities for our youth just like what my daughter is taking advantage of. I would much prefer that scenario to what you offer to her in a possible assistant manager position at a seasonal tourist trap.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Madhue wrote:The issue then becomes ... retiriees don't spend that much revenue therefore economic 'spin offs' are limited. Very limited and a shallow margin for economic gains.
What's wrong with diversification? Why must all out eggs be in one basket?

I don't recall ever saying we should focus on retirement as an industry. I have only said we should not be ashamed that it is a significant component of our economy. I have also never said that there is anything wrong with diversification. The more diversified an economy is, the stronger it is. I would however question if water slides on public lands is any kind of example of diversification. I am sorry but when I think of diversified economy, it does not include businesses that operate for 3 months a year and pay minimum wage.
As to your comment to retiree's spending habits and limited spin off's....All I can say is that while I appreciate what you say about seniors not spending like a household with kids might, they are steady and reliable no matter what the economic conditions are. Our over average seniors population has actually buffered the Okanagan from the sometimes wild swings in the economy.

cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

twobits wrote:I am very aware of what the wages are in elder care. My youngest daughter is working in the industry. Her goal is RN but started with Care Aide certification. 8 month program and four months after certification, 22 something/hr. Now taking courses while working to be LPN. Then 28-32/hr. 12 more months or so of school and RPN at 42 plus/hr.
Probably an eight yr haul but all bought and paid for with no student loan debt at 27 yrs old.
You are the one that is friggen unaware. The health care industry in this area is going to provide thousands of opportunities for our youth just like what my daughter is taking advantage of. I would much prefer that scenario to what you offer to her in a possible assistant manager position at a seasonal tourist trap.

As previously stated professionals like RN's make up less than 10% of those in the senior care industry. What are the other 90+% making for wages? What wage did your daughter make upon entry into the senior care industry? That amount will not have changed much when she becomes an RN or when she retires and that low wage is what a huge number of workers in the senior care industry make.
Gotta wonder why John and every other business man in town aren't converting their buildings into a retirement homes if the need is so tremedous and the profits/wages for everyone involved are so great?
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Twobits, How exactly do you think the Penticton economy is healthier now that the 70-90's? All one must do is look at downtown and the industrial area which are half of what it once was. Tourism is nowhere near as busy. All one must do is look at number of motels and campgrounds that have closed or moved to monthly rentals since then. Pentictons economy is a joke. I am lost as how you can believe otherwise.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Static wrote:Twobits, How exactly do you think the Penticton economy is healthier now that the 70-90's? All one must do is look at downtown and the industrial area which are half of what it once was. Tourism is nowhere near as busy. All one must do is look at number of motels and campgrounds that have closed or moved to monthly rentals since then. Pentictons economy is a joke. I am lost as how you can believe otherwise.

Times have changed everywhere. Can there be a local solution to what is, in essence, a global problem ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “North Okanagan”