Smoke

Fire-related topics
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Re: Smoke

Post by Troy »

Always Sunny wrote:The OK Mountain fire was 25,000ha versus 19,000ha for Stickpin (as per the most current info I could find).

And the Okanogan Complex fires, near Omak, have burned 227,000 acres (92,000 ha) so far.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Just went outside.

I run and ride my bike regularly but after a quick 1 km walk my eyes are stinging, my nose is plugged and I literally feel the smoke in my lungs.

Stay indoors if you can.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
radiotech90

Post by radiotech90 »

Wind Map 8 Pm Aug 22, 2015
Top circle is Kelowna, Washington Fires Below the 49th
North east fire is the Kettle Complex (inc. Stickpin Fire), two west most fires are the Okanogan Complex, and the center south fire is the North Star fire
Attachments
Wind 8 Pm Aug 22 2015 (earth.nullschool.net)
Wind 8 Pm Aug 22 2015 (earth.nullschool.net)
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Atomoa wrote:Just went outside.

I run and ride my bike regularly but after a quick 1 km walk my eyes are stinging, my nose is plugged and I literally feel the smoke in my lungs.

Stay indoors if you can.

Yeah, wanted to try my new trek bike around kaleden, made to the beach before I had to turn around. Not fun, I can't imagine how bad it must be down in Washington.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Always Sunny wrote:The OK Mountain fire was 25,000ha versus 19,000ha for Stickpin (as per the most current info I could find).

Troy wrote:And the Okanogan Complex fires, near Omak, have burned 227,000 acres (92,000 ha) so far.

Thanks! The info I saw for Stickpin seemed pretty limited.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4536/

Stickpin Fire - Stickpin Fire is at 47,544 acres and is burning on the Kettle Crest between Curlew and Orient. The fire is 15% contained. Firelines constructed along the western edge are holding. Crews continue to strengthen the lines. The fire was also active on the southwestern perimeter; dozer lines are being constructed but are indirect (meaning there is unburned fuel between the line and the fire edge). Three helicopters are supporting firefighting efforts if conditions allow. Public and firefighter safety is a significant concern, and incident management personnel are looking at all options for suppression. Fire crews from across the state are in place to assist Ferry County Fire 14 and Ferry County District 3/Stevens 8 with structure protection under the State Mobilization Act. These resources are dedicated to structure protection and free up additional firefighters for wildland fireline construction.

Two hand crews, dozers, and management personnel arrived from British Columbia, Canada today to work in partnership with existing resources fire suppression efforts on the northern perimeter. The fire has burned into the Togo Fire (2003) burn area and crews are working to construct line to keep the fire from progressing towards Grand Forks and Christina Lake British Columbia.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Man, it's orett creepy. I was just out on the deck looking over the lake and I noticed how quiet everything is. No animals making noises, no wind, just that creepy fog that blocks out everything. Weirdly unnerving
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

JBX wrote:Man, it's orett creepy. I was just out on the deck looking over the lake and I noticed how quiet everything is. No animals making noises, no wind, just that creepy fog that blocks out everything. Weirdly unnerving

Something like the Steven King movie "The Fog"...just waiting for the creatures to come out.
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

A the higher elevations today it was thinner smoke than here in the valley. Light breeze at 5000 foot level but nothing in the valleys.

I can not understand why 911 would be so flooded with calls. There is nothing to report that the fire departments and Wildfire Control are not seeing, they are seeing the same thing as everyone else in the valley. 911 is not there as an inquiry service it is there to report emergencies you actually see. Plugging the lines may very well put some real emergency on hold or in the queue waiting for an operator.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

This was coming down from Joe Rich on Hwy 33 just past Walkers Hill heading into Blk Mtn.
Attachments
Blk Mtn looking towards Kelowna just past Walkers Hill.jpg
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Anyone else got a headache and / or sore throat?
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Quailize wrote:Anyone else got a headache and / or sore throat?

We sold out of all dust masks in the pharmacy pretty quickly. A few people said that we weren't the first place they'd tried and many were already sold out.
radiotech90

Post by radiotech90 »

Coming from.. the south, lol
Attachments
Aug 23 2015 (TERRA /MODIS)
Aug 23 2015 (TERRA /MODIS)
radiotech90

Post by radiotech90 »

Forest Fire Map from the United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service

Adding up The Okanogan Complex, the North Star Fire, and the Kettle North Complex its burnt 159,412 hectares, unreal.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Remind me of Silent Hill franchise.

Still rode a bike from Rutland to the bridge and back. Not too bad.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”