Drone interference

Fire-related topics
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Drone interference

Post by Queen K »

As I stated quite a few posts back, drones have some very good applications in specific circumstances. Yes, a drone could be used to see how far a fire has progressed when it's dangerous to use any other method or too costly to use any other method.

Just like Search and Rescue, a drone can be used to "go in" and send back photos.

The operator endangering lives and interfering with heli operations is the same guy who's able to scope out how far a fire has progressed down a narrow canyon or such.

Your assessment is dead on. Maybe not for carrying water, but maybe for carrying in survival gear to someone too. If Amazon can use drones to deliver shoes, a drone operator can deliver a fire extinguisher.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Woodenhead wrote
> Jam emergency responders' radios/equipment, nice
> Have fun maintaining that kind of aim, and it wouldn't do anything anyway
> Only works if they're close enough, and if you're willing to shoot water on a drone rather than the fire.

1 You can be very specific these days regarding the frequency that you wish to jam, tho' illegal for the public to do, a law could be passed allowing hazard drones to be jammed. Would not affect communications with air and ground firefighters.

2 apparently shining a laser at the small cameras on drones disables them.... I have no first hand knowledge of this, just google reports.

3 gotta agree here, but saw a video of a crew knocking one out of the sky with a quick squirt.
We're lost but we're making good time.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Do not under any conditions use a laser, period. It's extreamly illegal to use those against aircraft and u highly doublt they are going to care if you were trying to hit a drone when there are fire and police helicopters in the area. They will track it to your house and arrest you.

Water is a good idea, A hose or pressure washer would work if close.

Honestly I think a kill drone would be better, just a more powerful drone made of metal used by the cops, ram it into the other drone then charge the Perron the fine in addition the cost of repairing any damage to the metal drone lol. A drone with a custom BB gun on it would do the same and not hurt anybody if it missed. The blades are plastic on them and break really easy.

I can really see legislation coming down that after a certain size, weight, range, ect the drone has to be registered like a firearm. So now it's serial is linked to your name. I think that would really reduce a lot of this bs.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I Think wrote:1 You can be very specific these days regarding the frequency that you wish to jam, tho' illegal for the public to do, a law could be passed allowing hazard drones to be jammed. Would not affect communications with air and ground firefighters.

Yep - your first post didn't put it that way, though, that's all. Although it seems the freq. they use is in a range that would screw over other important / unrelated things as well.

I Think wrote:2 apparently shining a laser at the small cameras on drones disables them.... I have no first hand knowledge of this, just google reports.

I haven't heard that - IDK how a laser would interfere with radio freq., or interfere with a pre-set flightplan. (some models allow you to set a pre-programmed flightpath, like following a GPS route) A laser would screw up camera recording, though - but only while the laser is shining directly on the lens. Good luck with that kind of aim. :/

I Think wrote:3 gotta agree here, but saw a video of a crew knocking one out of the sky with a quick squirt.

Right on. I'm sure that kind of thing would work well, but I also don't see it as anything other than a low-percentage solution.

It'll come down to legislation and enforcement, and even then those things will be easily avoidable for those who are even semi-determined. Such is life when it comes to tech like this - it's a never ending game of leapfrog. :/

Here's something:

https://www.droneshield.com/

Your bias suits you.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Should have made it clear, I do not condone the idea of individuals interfering with drones.
However Law enforcement related to fires could be using a number of easily deployed tools to get the drones out of the way quickly and safely.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Did I not bring up drone-napping?

Drone Net Gun.

Wow! It's real, and it works.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Although a couple years away from implementation this would sure solve the problem. 2 seconds on the drone and it went up in flames. Only problem is it might start another fire...Doh! (insert best Homer Simpson voice)

http://gizmodo.com/boeings-new-compact- ... socialflow
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

JBX wrote:Do not under any conditions use a laser, period. It's extreamly illegal to use those against aircraft and u highly doublt they are going to care if you were trying to hit a drone when there are fire and police helicopters in the area. They will track it to your house and arrest you.

Water is a good idea, A hose or pressure washer would work if close.

Honestly I think a kill drone would be better, just a more powerful drone made of metal used by the cops, ram it into the other drone then charge the Perron the fine in addition the cost of repairing any damage to the metal drone lol. A drone with a custom BB gun on it would do the same and not hurt anybody if it missed. The blades are plastic on them and break really easy.

I can really see legislation coming down that after a certain size, weight, range, ect the drone has to be registered like a firearm. So now it's serial is linked to your name. I think that would really reduce a lot of this bs.

There is interim legislation in place until December 2016 at which time there will be requirements in place depending on size, weight, and use. There will be regulations for all sizes but more stringent regulations depending on the risk.

All available on Transport Canada's site.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Here is the link for proposed regulations and to comment on those regulations

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... v-2265.htm
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Thanks for the info, gman.

I'm not a drone user, nor do I see myself ever getting one, but I find the issues surrounding them (legitimate uses, bad uses, legal issues, etc.) to be quite interesting.
Your bias suits you.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

There you go:

http://www.rt.com/usa/313659-portable-l ... ts-drones/

Boeing’s new Compact Laser Weapon System (LWS) is easily transportable at 650 pounds, can be assembled in 15 minutes, and can generate an energy beam of 10 kilowatts to bring down a target up to 22 miles away, according to the company.

Boeing publicly tested the laser cannon in a New Mexico industrial park on Wednesday and called the new weapon a game changer as it’s portable, silent, invisible and precise. It is designed to target unmanned aerial vehicles, low-flying aircraft, and artillery rounds.

Other weapons manufacturers have developed anti-drone shotgun shells and jamming technology, but Boeing plans to just zap the enemy out of the sky.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Woodenhead wrote:Thanks for the info, gman.

I'm not a drone user, nor do I see myself ever getting one, but I find the issues surrounding them (legitimate uses, bad uses, legal issues, etc.) to be quite interesting.

N0 problem. I am planning to get one soon. I'm not an idiot though I won't fly over people or houses or fires or near the airport. If I'm spending 1700+ I don't plan to lose it.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Keep in mind in Canada a drone is not allowed to fly out of your sight as per Transport Canada. This regulation really limits the use of these machines. That being said the machines are so new that regulations are evolving quickly. Also keep in mind if you earn $1 with your drone you need to jump through an entire set of new hoops and get permission to fly from Transport Canada.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hassel99 wrote:Keep in mind in Canada a drone is not allowed to fly out of your sight as per Transport Canada. This regulation really limits the use of these machines. That being said the machines are so new that regulations are evolving quickly. Also keep in mind if you earn $1 with your drone you need to jump through an entire set of new hoops and get permission to fly from Transport Canada.

Its also under the same laws about flying in restricted air space (which is the case in a forest fire with air support), but those who are flying these drones believe they are above the law apparently.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hassel99 wrote:Keep in mind in Canada a drone is not allowed to fly out of your sight as per Transport Canada. This regulation really limits the use of these machines. That being said the machines are so new that regulations are evolving quickly. Also keep in mind if you earn $1 with your drone you need to jump through an entire set of new hoops and get permission to fly from Transport Canada.

This brings up an interesting question. Is there enough demand for drone work for an expert drone flyer to paid for drone flying services rendered?

What could fuel demand?

Lost or stolen property?
Private pay for vehicles having gone over an embankment?
Search and rescue when ground crews are forced to give up?
Spying?
Searching for grow ops in various places?

I'm sure others could add to this list. Very interesting.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”