Fire Season Weather Thread

Fire-related topics
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Fire Season Weather Thread

Post by Barney Google »

Lightly drizzling up in the Joe Rich Valley (proper)...light to moderate light breeze out of the E/SE
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Kelowna

Today Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Widespread smoke. Wind becoming southwest 20 km/h this afternoon. High 23. UV index 3 or moderate.
Tonight Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Local smoke. Wind southwest 20 km/h becoming light this evening. Low 17.

Sat, 29 Aug Showers. Risk of a thunderstorm in the afternoon. Wind becoming south 20 km/h gusting to 40 early in the afternoon. High 21.
Night Showers. Low 12.

Sun, 30 Aug Cloudy with 70 percent chance of showers. High 18.
Night Periods of rain. Low 12.

Mon, 31 Aug Cloudy with 70 percent chance of showers. High 19.
Night Periods of rain. Low 15.

Tue, 1 Sep Periods of rain. High 19.
Night Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 10.

Wed, 2 Sep Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 17.
Night Cloudy periods with 30 percent chance of showers. Low 9.

Thu, 3 Sep A mix of sun and cloud. High 20.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Quailize ...

I hope that you are right. Nothing in the valley part of SE Kelowna so far. Can't see the clouds for the smoke. Light "swirling" type of breeze.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Pouring!!!
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Light rain starting in the Valley part of SE Kelowna. Falling straight down.

And since I put my lawn fertilizer on yesterday with the understand in the Queen K and Quailize would call down the rain today life is good ...

Half an inch to an inch would be good. More if you can spare it Q.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Wind is honking thro' Rock Creek pushing the smoke towards us. Gonna push the fire towards the East, Ugh.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Rain! So pleased - and not the light spitting we had yesterday, either. Real rain! :D
I haven't failed until I quit.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Pouring in the Joe Rich Valley right now. We had huge gusts come from the east earlier...now its steady out of the North.

VERY dark clouds have come in...

About five minutes ago RCMP cruiser with lights flashing and siren going headed up Hwy 33 towards Big White...

just a few moments ago a black RCMP unmarked SUV headed up the same way going much faster and now an ambulance is

heading up Hwy 33...
Attachments
Valley shot - small.jpg
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Lots of wind east of rock creek, no rain, well a few drops but its dryer than a popcorn fart.
We're lost but we're making good time.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

I wonder if perhaps I overdid my rain dance. :) Should be into a Low hazard now and doubt we will see anything over Moderate for for the rest of the season. We have reached the time of year for cooler temperature and good overnight recovery. Still 3 more days of rain in the forecast.

Having said that we have had some very large fires in September in the past when preceded by the type of summer weather we have had. However, not preceded by a wet front to the extent we are having now. Not sure how much rain in the south part of the zone, Oliver / Osoyoos.

Well I can be optimistic, can't I ? :)
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

No way Trapp...bring the dancin' on...it's been raining up here in the Joe Rich Valley off and on pretty darned hard...right now its just gushing down. I'm lovin it!!!! Do have a lady here this morning that's from Beaverdell and she said they lost power last night (it just came back on about an hour ago) from all the wind but NO rain???!!!! Keep on with that dancin', Trapp...we need all the rain we can get!!! THANKS!!!!!
- Unknown
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Everything got pretty well dumped on yesterday East of Kelowna up to the length of the 201 FSR. Was not sure how far East those storms went, and Beaverdell / Rock Creek sure do need the moisture. I traveled continuously through sporadic rain storms all day yesterday. Overnight and this morning was even more intense rain than yesterday. It is the slow continuous drizzle that really penetrates the forest canopy is what we really need. I am so ready for the end of this fire season as is everyone else, particularly the zone administration and those on the front lines.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

LMAO...the basement is flooding here..we don't care and can handle it... keep dancin' we need as much as we can get.
- Unknown
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

It'd probably be okay to take down the fire forum now. Most of BC got a good amount of rain and with the cooler temperatures I highly doubt the fire danger will go over moderate for the rest of the year.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”