No Smoky Campsite Refund

Fire-related topics
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Re: No Smoky Campsite Refund

Post by skydawg »

Whyme2 wrote:What next? I want a refund because it rained, it was too hot, to many bugs, no fires allowed. Our son had Asthma when he was young and we had to be careful where we camped because of the amount of fire pits in the campground.
If we knew Washington State was on fire we would have cancelled a week in advance no questions asked and got our refund. You don't use the Asthma card when it's to late,

Exactly. Its called common sense, something lady has very little of
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

She lost all sympathy and credibility when she used the fact that if they went, the 'boys' wouldn't be able to evacuate because they would be drinking. Because, lord knows, a few beers is more important than the potential safety of your family.
The area has been engulfed by smoke for a lot longer than a week. They had plenty of time to make the decision to cancel.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

motorhomebabe wrote:I guess that's 3 campers who wont be booking with them again , not to mention all their friends that might have booked. It seems to me sometimes a little good will goes a long way.

I don't think the province is concerned whether they will return or not. Their campsites are booked solid all summer, they could fill those sites 10x over.

I do think there should be a way for them to have those sites used by other campers rather than have them sit empty. Why not give a half refund and then let someone else use the site. It is not like they will lose the revenue.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Guess it depends on when the actual cancellation took place and if there was time to advise another camper of the spot. How many campers wait until the last moment to decide where they are camping and would there even be a cancellation list to phone? Maybe there wasn't anyone calling to see if a spot was available because of the chance of being evacuated?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Ktown became smokey as well. I wonder what precautions were taken for her son during that time and why they couldn't take them while camping.
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

How about opening the sites for use, if they don't get used then no refund, if they get used then 1/2 refund. Often there are people travelling that pull in without reservations, some camp in the overflow hoping for a spot the next day, first come first serve. Seems a waste to have them sit empty. A chance for more revenue 1.5x and for someone else to enjoy the site while the people that cancelled sit home and pout.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

there is a policy for a reason. read their policies before your reservations. Yes you do have to read the fine print.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

V-Rated wrote:Ktown became smokey as well. I wonder what precautions were taken for her son during that time and why they couldn't take them while camping.
~V~

I wondered that as well. The Central Okanagan has also been experiencing air quality ratings of medium to very high risk for the last week+

Unless planning to stay indoors until well into fall, we're all going to have to suffer through more of the smokiness.

TreeGuy wrote:How about opening the sites for use, if they don't get used then no refund, if they get used then 1/2 refund. Often there are people travelling that pull in without reservations, some camp in the overflow hoping for a spot the next day, first come first serve. Seems a waste to have them sit empty. A chance for more revenue 1.5x and for someone else to enjoy the site while the people that cancelled sit home and pout.

At what point would a campground be able to confirm that a site would not be used? I travel a lot for work and hotels have cancellation policies of anywhere between 4:00pm the day of, and 48 hours notice for a refund. But I do still hotels have a much greater chance of filling a room last minute than a rather remote campsite, which allows for shorter notice.

As it stands, they can currently make 2x the revenue off of that site. The lost booking + a potential shorter notice/walk-in.

At the end of the day, the campground has selected a cutoff time which best suits the nature of their location and business. If a 2-3 day window were optimal, then it wouldn't be a one week policy.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”