Rock Creek Wildfire

Fire-related topics
mtn living

Re: Rock Creek Wildfire

Post by mtn living »

Well back again after a very nerve wrenching time.

Power and phone, both landlines and cells have been down since the 13 th..
Power restored on Sat (22nd) and land line phones today... not sure about the cell tower yet.

I must say that I am rather glad that they were down, cause not sure how I would have coped with a lot of the post here. :/
Yes I went thru all the posts from beginning, as I wanted to get a better idea of what had happened, instead of what I/we have been told by, he said, that she said that he said...*sigh*
Remember, folks, we were without any info at all!
Battery operated radios did not work either.

They finally opened hwy 33, as it sure sounds so loud after all the quiet.

I must add tho that Fortis guys have been really great.
First they got a couple big genies going until they had power lines up and runnin'.
They really must have pushed it, as they thought maybe the 30th to have it restore. Every day, many times a day you would hear the poles being trucked up to them.

Hats off to them (Fortis) and all the Firefighters.

Just remember folks...you never know what you will do until you are faced with it and even then, things can change so fast you don't have a choice.
Been thru to many forest fires not to have learned that. :(

Now off to sort things out to gift to those that need a hand up. :)

Anyone knowing (personally) a family or 2, that might need some knitted articles, for kids starting school please send me a message and I will gladly see to that little detail, if I am allowed.

Good night all and may you always be prepared
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Bless your heart Mnt Living...know that there are some folks out there/here who empathize and truly appreciate what you have been through...
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I drove through Rock Creek today via 33 for the first time since the fire, and wow...just wow.

I've done that drive (conservatively) 100 time over the last 5 years and it was pretty unrecognizable. The landscape had changed so much I had a hard time orientating myself with where I was. Just heartbreaking to see nothing but the foundation of homes. Entire sections of forest as black posts.

You think you get a sense of things from the new reports and pictures, but none of that really did it justice.
Noilly

Post by Noilly »

So very, very sad!! And on another thread the campfire ban is lifted....how dumb!!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Noilly wrote:So very, very sad!! And on another thread the campfire ban is lifted....how dumb!!

It is pretty danged wet out there. If the weather turns and the hazard climbs again, I'm sure they'll adjust the allowances for campfires accordingly. However, with a long weekend approaching and cool-cold weather and lots of precip, it's far less dangerous than earlier on in the summer when campfires were allowed.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Kettle River Campsite for Castanet.jpg
Campsite future is questionable.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

UltraViolet wrote:Campsite future is questionable.

I've heard lots of info from different people that the vast majority of the campground itself was unaffected. It was that section by the road that everyone see was destroyed.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”