R.I.P. young one

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

R.I.P. young one

Post by maryjane48 »

A four-year-old boy was killed by a car driven by an off-duty police officer in Penticton on Tuesday.

The child was crossing the street with his family at the intersection of Fairview Road and Highway 97 when he was struck by the RCMP officer's personal vehicle at around 5 p.m..

The child was rushed to the hospital but he later died from his injuries.

Member of the Independent Investigations Office, B.C.’s police watchdog agency, have taken over the investigation into what happened.

Anyone who saw the accident is asked to call the IIO at 1-855-446-8477.

Last week the IIO concluded that an off-duty Abbotsford police officer may have committed a Motor Vehicle Act offence that led to the death of Marcus Larabie, 14, last December. The IIO forwarded its report on the case to the criminal justice branch to determine if a charge should be laid.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/year+p ... z3luz68MBA

sadly more than one toddler died yesterday , the one found in alberta and this one that was on a crosswalk with family .
goatboy
Guru

Re: R.I.P. young one

Post by goatboy »

lakevixen wrote:A four-year-old boy was killed by a car driven by an off-duty police officer in Penticton on Tuesday.

The child was crossing the street with his family at the intersection of Fairview Road and Highway 97 when he was struck by the RCMP officer's personal vehicle at around 5 p.m..

The child was rushed to the hospital but he later died from his injuries.

Member of the Independent Investigations Office, B.C.’s police watchdog agency, have taken over the investigation into what happened.

Anyone who saw the accident is asked to call the IIO at 1-855-446-8477.

Last week the IIO concluded that an off-duty Abbotsford police officer may have committed a Motor Vehicle Act offence that led to the death of Marcus Larabie, 14, last December. The IIO forwarded its report on the case to the criminal justice branch to determine if a charge should be laid.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/year+p ... z3luz68MBA

sadly more than one toddler died yesterday , the one found in alberta and this one that was on a crosswalk with family .

Wonder why the media never reports...... killed by a car driven by a plumber, or car driven by a dentist?

Very sad regardless, terrible day yesterday.
johnrae
Fledgling

Post by johnrae »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#147914

Such a tragedy. The child and his father were in the cross walk and had the green arrow to go. I sure hope they did a blood alcohol test on the driver. I would bet the RCMP would not make one of their own blow. As you all know they never break the law??????
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Post by wanderingchef »

Just brutal. The father did EVERYTHING right and ended up watching his child die right in front of him. I hope this driver gets nailed to the cross. Pretty sure we all know nothing will come of this. The RCMP does nothing better then protect their own. Keep your eyes peeled out there folks. We are all someone's brother, sister, mom and dad.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

I read the story this morning ,, an officer had a collision with a boy.. why don't they just say he ran a kid over?
icelink

Post by icelink »

Wow just WOW makes me sick.....even more that it was an off duty rcmp Just read the updated article where the father spoke of the incident.....like the previous poster stated the rcmp does nothing but try and protect their own "TRY".....not this time bud....your done....when does the vehicular homicide trial start? Was the member impaired? Why hasn't he spoken to the media expressing any remorse? The father has.....Makes me sick kiss your miserable career goodbye RIP young victim
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

He said his son was off his bike, pushing it through the crosswalk with a green arrow.

"He hit my son, stopped and went again," said McIntosh describing the incident.

"Obviously didn't see my son. I'm yelling at him to stop...he started up again. He had not idea my son was under his tires."

Yeah, that sounds like someone who was sober.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Green arrow?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

goatboy wrote:Wonder why the media never reports...... killed by a car driven by a plumber, or car driven by a dentist?

Wondered the same thing, now it's just going to turn into a cop bashing thread.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

goatboy wrote:Wonder why the media never reports...... killed by a car driven by a plumber, or car driven by a dentist?

driveangry wrote:Wondered the same thing, now it's just going to turn into a cop bashing thread.

Um let's see...maybe because the IIO doesn't investigate when it's a plumber or a dentist and the fact that it was an RCMP officer is um RELEVANT?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Anonymous123 wrote:Green arrow?

I didn't quite understand this comment either.

Either green arrow was flashing meaning traffic was supposed to proceed and pedestrians were supposed to wait.

Or they meant "green light" for pedestrians, but why would they call it "arrow"?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Nikon86

Post by Nikon86 »

icelink wrote:Wow just WOW makes me sick.....even more that it was an off duty rcmp Just read the updated article where the father spoke of the incident.....like the previous poster stated the rcmp does nothing but try and protect their own "TRY".....not this time bud....your done....when does the vehicular homicide trial start? Was the member impaired? Why hasn't he spoken to the media expressing any remorse? The father has.....Makes me sick kiss your miserable career goodbye RIP young victim

Funny...I've read several articles from different news sources and watched the interview with the IIO and no one, at no time, has said (or even indicated for that matter) that the driver was impaired by way of alcohol or drugs. So, if you were there and made any direct observations of indicia of impairment, feel free to contact the IIO and tell them as they're the ones conducting the investigation (not the RCMP).

In the mean time, why don't you climb on down off your high horse and stop condemning someone who you don't even know and without knowing all the facts to begin with. You're hating on them solely based on what they do for a living. If this was a firefighter, or paramedic, or lawyer, or banker, or Starbucks Barista, or landscaper you wouldn't be giving to hoots about the person's occupation. And you certainly wouldn't be demanding them to kiss their miserable career goodbye. Do you honestly think that this person went out and intentionally drove over a 4 year old? Do you honestly think they have no remourse for what has happened, knowing that they're responsible?

As to why he or she hasn't spoke to the media, this simple fact is that he or she is not allowed to because 1. They're a member of the RCMP and 2. There's an ongoing investigation involving themselves which is now being conducted by an outside, independent body.

And FYI, no offence of "vehicular homicide" exists in Canada (I'll refer you to the Criminal Code for reference).
Nikon86

Post by Nikon86 »

wanderingchef wrote:Just brutal. The father did EVERYTHING right and ended up watching his child die right in front of him. I hope this driver gets nailed to the cross. Pretty sure we all know nothing will come of this. The RCMP does nothing better then protect their own. Keep your eyes peeled out there folks. We are all someone's brother, sister, mom and dad.

You seem to be conveniently overlooking the fact that the RCMP are not investigating this- the IIO is. And as I said in another post, if the driver was any other occupation other than a police officer, you wouldn't blink twice. You'd sum it up to it being an unfortunate accident and move on. But no, you need someone to hate on. You need someone to condemn whilst you stand atop your soap box. Do you honestly think this driver feels good about what happened....?

Look at the facts over the occupation and let the IIO do their job
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Partmanpartfish wrote:
Um let's see...maybe because the IIO doesn't investigate when it's a plumber or a dentist and the fact that it was an RCMP officer is um RELEVANT?

He wasn't working so why would his profession need to be mentioned? It's only because he's a cop. I completely understand if he was in a police car and was working but that isn't the case.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

It is indeed a terrible, heart-breaking tragedy for all involved. Sometimes an accident is just an accident. If the vehicle involved was a high pick-up, a small child pushing a bicycle may not be visible to the driver. For example, if he was lagging behind his father, sibling and family dog the driver could have been watching them pass in front of him and not realized anyone else was entering the crosswalk.
There will be an investigation. The driver of the vehicle deserves the same fair treatment as any other driver. If found to have committed a driving offense, then the driver deserves the same consequences as any other driver.
Meanwhile a family and their circle of friends and acquaintances is mourning the loss of a precious little boy. And if the driver is a typical human being he is suffering also.
Could happen to any one of us who gets behind the wheel of a vehicle.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

Return to “North Okanagan”