Drone interference

Fire-related topics
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Drone interference

Post by gman313 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Also, buying a firearm is only possible through a specific store which won't sell it to you unless you're licensed. Drones can be bought online overseas no problem. You can buy parts and build your own. Heck, none of the part are really that special.

I could go downtown and find a gun too - it's not that hard. There is always workarounds
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

gman313 wrote:The problem lies with the idiots who aren't going to follow the rules no matter what.

Yeah, you can never cover everything. HOpefully they'll cover most of it, at least, without ruining it for the majority of good users.

It'll be interesting to see what the regulations look like once everything's done on that front. I also wonder how long everyone will be allowed to buy these things. Eventually they're gonna be extremely small & darned near undetectable. You'll be able to build your own via a 3D printer, bypassing manufacturer regulations. It is kinda crazy, when you think of the near future possibilities, and how we'll deal with them. 3D guns are another biggie:

3D printed metal handgun
3D print metal, wood, and electronics
This printer can print a drone

The times keep getting more interesting.
Last edited by Woodenhead on Sep 8th, 2015, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your bias suits you.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Just wait till battery lives are improved to give them much wider range of travel and time in the air.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Captain Awesome wrote:Just wait till battery lives are improved to give them much wider range of travel and time in the air.

Dude, I actually can't wait for that. No more post office for me. Just set a route for my auto drone and it can fly east to drop off a gift for my family. And they can fly me back a beer. Image
Your bias suits you.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

What I've always wondered is why don't any of them have solar panels? Granted my knowledge of solar power is very limited but wouldn't it help with the battery life at least a little bit?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
kramediks

Post by kramediks »

takes like 1 hour to charge one of those batteries. thats plugged in to a household socket. doubt the solar would make any diff especially given the increased weight
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Well, I think what he's getting at is that with strong enough solar panels, a drone could potentially remain airborne indefinitely.

There was a solar powered plane (manned) that flew over 100 hours straight earlier this year. As for an actual unmanned drone (albeit a big one):

Solar Powered Drone Breaks Record
A Swiss team has broken an endurance record for unmanned aerial vehicles under 50 kilograms and for all low altitude long endurance (LALE) UAVs. Its featherweight drone, AtlantikSolar, flew continuously for more than 81 hours.

I think the issue with small drones like what we're talking about, regarding solar, is surface area for enough panels to generate enough juice. ? The tech keeps on marching forwards, at any rate. I find these kinds of things very interesting. :] (maybe even sometimes a tad scary and annoying, too. haha)
Your bias suits you.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

JBX wrote:What I've always wondered is why don't any of them have solar panels?

Charging with solar is possible but I doubt it will make much difference. Drones are designed to be as light as possible and as small as possible. If you start extending the surface of it by adding solar panels it adds to the weight of it which requires more power to keep them flying and more powerful rotors.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Lipo battery technology is very good no need for solar panels.

My brand new drone arrived today complete with a 2.7k video camera- cannot wait to take it out!!

Once I am good with it I am going to put a demo on for some of the naysayers. It cannot be used for spying as it is. The camera is basically a wide angle lens that won't take a good shot up close. I can also guarantee you that I won't risk my investment hovering outside your window and I certainly won't fly around fires.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

fentazelb wrote:As a member of the Kelowna Ogogpogo Radio Controllers it saddens me that anyone has the chance to go to any box store and purchase a multirotor. It is so easy to purchase one and go out and fly completely uneducated. The only proper place to really fly is out at a sanctioned flying field where there are know rules. Oh and yes we are up and running fully in Lake Country, in fact this weekend we have our Heli Fun Fly all weekend long.

As for the comments about shooting them down, people need to keep in mind that shooting at any aircraft is a federal offence, no matter if its full scale or a model.

The new lipo batteries do not explode either, they are very safe now, not like they used to be. We still treat them with more than enough respect of what they used to do though.

Okay, comments about shooting them down are completely out of line.

Now how about keeping these drone *bleep* out of the way of first responders trying to protect our forests???

What is your reply to keep that from happening?

You have no reply.

Oh yeah, they aren't regulated, so if you see them intefrering with things like firefighters, shoot them down.

If your neighbours wonder about the sound of your rifle, just tell them you were cleaning it.

Okay, if they get in the way of the firefighting efforts, yes, just shoot those drones down.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

onestop67 wrote:

Now how about keeping these drone *bleep* out of the way of first responders trying to protect our forests???

You have no reply.

Oh yeah, they aren't regulated, so if you see them intefrering with things like firefighters, shoot them down.

If your neighbours wonder about the sound of your rifle, just tell them you were cleaning it.

Okay, if they get in the way of the firefighting efforts, yes, just shoot those drones down.

What are you talking about. They absolutely are regulated and they are absolutely not allowed to fly near a fire fighter.

The guys that do are idiots but they are few and far between, believe it or not. Do you know how many people in Kelowna alone have RC planes, helis, multi rotors? A lot, and guess what, you don't hear about the vast majority of them.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... c_id=21zwi
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I will add for the record I'd be all for shooting them down as well over forest fires, interfering with first responders etc....I wouldn't recommend it though you will get in more trouble than the guy with the drone
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fentazelb

Post by fentazelb »

You have no reply.

Okay, if they get in the way of the firefighting efforts, yes, just shoot those drones down.[/quote]

Um I actually do have a reply for that, regulate the sale of hobby parts and drones to credible hobby shops only and make people show that they know the rules before the drone is able to be "unlocked" and flown. This is never going to happen in reality, just like people driving drunk or taking drugs or anything else that is regulated, YOU CANT FIX STUPID. hopefully stupid only fixes itself and harms no one else.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”