Small Shrimp - Big Ruckus

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Small Shrimp - Big Ruckus

Post by Fancy »

LANDM wrote:In fact, the people slightly higher up will be impacted by the noise more than those on the lake.

Now everyone get really angry at those who are wealthy enough to live on properties with great lake views.

Also, one works in the day, the other at night.....so much for the feeding time argument.

Finally, it certainly used to be a commercial venture. I don't know about these boats but this has been done for years and the folks that had the contract were using the shrimp for some sort of animal or fish food product.

The reality is that there is little reason to think that it was some sort of horrible lakefront property owner that complained. People complain about noise all the time. They complain about road construction, sirens, helicopters blowing water off cherries, wind machines, aircraft circling above their home, beeping from snow removal trucks in reverse in hospital parking lots, and on and on.

I don't know what the boat/barge sounds like but it obviously is bother someone deep into the middle of the night and they complained to the city. The news media then picked up on it because of complaints......but I think we all know that the media may have sensationalized it just a bit......like is being done here.

Exactly, even posters are blowing this out of proportion. Everyone with a lake view isn't wealthy and just because someone phoned in to complain about middle of the night noise doesn't mean it wasn't explained to them it's temporary and quite often when it's explained the what and why, people can and do put up with it. Just like the orchard cannons - temporary.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

twobits wrote:The really simple answer is cuz you can't catch them in daylight hours. Mysis spend daylight hours on the bottom of the lake hiding in the detritus. Only when it gets dark do they swim up into the water column to feed on zoo plankton. It is only then that they are vulnerable to being scooped up by the large cone nets. It is this darkness feeding cycle of the shrimp that caused the experiment of introducing them to enhance the Kokanee fishery failed. The Kokanee fingerlings and larger can't feed on them in the dark cuz they can't see them in the water column, and the shrimp ate all the zoo plankton the Kokanee fry depend on as a food source.
So why are they fishing day and night then sorry not buyin that bs
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

LTD wrote: So why are they fishing day and night then sorry not buyin that bs

Look LTD, I'm not trying to peddle you any BS. Just passed on something that was explained to me a few years back. Having an interest in fishing it is just something that stuck in the brain archive. I wasn't that interested in furthering the topic but since you were too lazy to even use our google friends and just call BS, I spent about 60 seconds and found out what is currently happening on OK lake with the Mysis shrimp. I would surmise that the activity you see in the daylight is the processing boats. Watch this 6 min video yourself and see if a BS call was warranted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMfmyPY-rtw

If I was wrong about anything, it was suggesting it was only a short term activity. My memory was from the test fishery days when it was only for 3 or 4 weeks. It seems to have expanded beyond that.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

JBX wrote:I'm starting to have serious hate towards certain brain dead people in the valley. I'm damn lake front and you know how many times I've complained about noise? ZERO. These fools should have their property seized and sold off.

Entitled rich morons who figure the whole valley should operate around their wants and desires. Looks like I'll be taking my jet boat up there some weeknd for some ripping around.

Man the entitlement and arrogance of some people just infuriates me, make a mental note people, next time theses airheads want anything fight against is as much as you can.

Are you like 5 years old? Sorry if I'm off a year or two. You just come across as such, that's all. Seize their property and sell it off? Take your jet boat for some ripping around? Get back at them by fighting against all things they will fight for? (can't wait for the argument if a convicted pedophile wants to move to the neighborhood, and see you arguing for it, just because you'd fight against some people who complained about something).
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Aww, did the noisy boat wake you up from your afternoon nap?

Complain about serious topics and I'll take them serious. Odd you would mention a pedophile out of nowhere, projecting something?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

JBX wrote:Aww, did the noisy boat wake you up from your afternoon nap?

Complain about serious topics and I'll take them serious. Odd you would mention a pedophile out of nowhere, projecting something?

Well, why would you think those that complain have money? Some people have to work for a living and find it hard sleeping through the noise.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Earplugs, I've had to use them before due to not being able to sleep because of the sounds of society, adapt and move on, don't expect everything to grind to a halt because your too stubborn to deal.

I generally find people who work for are a living understand compromise and what really matters, they don't have time to be busy bodies, generally of course, not always.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

JBX wrote:Earplugs, I've had to use them before due to not being able to sleep because of the sounds of society, adapt and move on, don't expect everything to grind to a halt because your too stubborn to deal.

I generally find people who work for are a living understand compromise and what really matters, they don't have time to be busy bodies, generally of course, not always.

My question: Well, why would you think those that complain have money?
Earplugs don't fit everyone.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Fancy wrote:My question: Well, why would you think those that complain have money?
Earplugs don't fit everyone.

Because its usually the middle aged women of a wealthy man that has nothing else better to do then to go down to city council on a Monday night to complain about something. Kinda like the one in Caddyshack 2.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Their prey may be small, but the racket they make is big.

Vernon city council heard complaints Monday about shrimping operations on Okanagan Lake.

Coun. Juliette Cunningham said there are two shrimp boats working near Paddlewheel Park, one works during the day, the other at night.

Residents are complaining about the noise, Cunningham told council.

The boats are both harvesting tiny mysis shrimp, introduced to the lake in the 1970s as food for kokanee. The plan backfired, however, when the shrimp competed for the same food as the kokanee fry.

One of the challenges with the noise issue is determining whose jurisdiction the activities fall under.

Clint Kanester, manager of bylaw enforcement, told council there “are some jurisdictional issues” and the “barge that is in the lake is used to transport the shrimp to and from the shore.”

He confirmed there have been some noise complaints, adding the operation is licensed by Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

“They have had Fisheries conduct some inspections, and they do not have a problem with what they are doing,” said Kanester.

“We are not even sure if our bylaws would be applicable because it is a barge and not a boat.”

Council will get a more detailed report on the situation at its next meeting.
If it's non-stop, it may get tiresome.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Fancy wrote:
If it's non-stop, it may get tiresome.[/quote]

It will only become tiresome for those that do not adapt. We are surrounded by neighbours whose jobs require them to work shifts on a rotating basis. Everything from nurses and doctors, to mill workers and law enforcement to name a few. I doubt very much they run to City Hall to complain about noise when they must sleep. I think some of these complainers about the boats should adapt like so many others do and close the window or buy some 99 cent earplugs.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

twobits wrote:close the window or buy some 99 cent earplugs.

Maybe they have closed the windows (it's that time of year) and, like I said, not everyone can wear earplugs.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I live beside a busy street thats sometimes noisey at night should I complain to city council?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Gixxer wrote:I live beside a busy street thats sometimes noisey at night should I complain to city council?
Why? That's to be expected and abnormal loud noise can be dealt with by city bylaws.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Shrimping operations on Okanagan Lake have halted for the winter, so City of Vernon officials will have to wait until spring to investigate noise complaints.

Clint Kanester, manager of bylaw enforcement, says staff could not confirm any violations because the operation has ended for the season.

According to a report, a diesel motor required on the platform to maintain freezers may be the culprit. It states the motor has been modified to be water cooled and has been placed in a cabinet to restrict noise levels.

But, Coun. Brian Quiring, who lives by the lake, says the company's efforts aren't working.

“It's banging all freakin' night long (in the summer),” Quiring told council.

“You can hear this across the whole lake,” he said. “They must be able to get a generator that's quieter than the old Volkswagen they've got.” Castanet

“It's crazy loud.”

Return to “North Okanagan”