Harper stepping down as party leader

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Harper stepping down as party leader

Post by oneh2obabe »

Stephen Harper is stepping down as leader of the Conservative Party after losing the federal election.

As many Conservatives wrestled with a heartbreaking loss, Harper stepped down as party leader, said Conservative Party national president John Walsh.

"I have spoken to Prime Minister Stephen Harper and he has instructed me to reach out to the newly elected parliamentary caucus to appoint an Interim Leader and to the National Council to implement the leadership selection process pursuant to the Conservative Party of Canada constitution."

The Liberal Party is projected to form a majority government after a red tide swept key ridings in the GTA, Quebec and the East Coast.

The Liberal’s success comes largely on the back of the NDP, defeating many incumbents such as Peggy Nash and Paul Dewer.

“Friends, from the very outset this election has been about change and tonight Canadians have turned the page on 10 long years and they reject the politics of fear and division,” Mulcair said at his rally.

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal-ele ... sults.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Harper stepping down as party leader

Post by JLives »

While I am glad to see him moving out of office I'm not going to say anything bad about him. I'm not going to say anything good either though. See you later Steven, onward and upward. I'm looking forward to our country's future.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

power corrupts , the important part is to what degree .
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I actually liked Harper, yet I voted against him.
He epitomizes what a leader should be, intelligent, well spoken, politically savvy, astute, etc.
I just didn't like his ideals or the arrogance he developed in his tenure as pm.
II think Harper lost this election more than the Liberals won.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Bman wrote:I actually liked Harper, yet I voted against him.
He epitomizes what a leader should be, intelligent, well spoken, politically savvy, astute, etc.
I just didn't like his ideals or the arrogance he developed in his tenure as pm.
II think Harper lost this election more than the Liberals won.

I'm feeling a real sense of reclaiming our identity going on in this election.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

To me, he was just becoming the Canadian equivalent of the usa republicans.
And it's too bad, the PC's had a great chance if they addressed Harper and his omnipotence.
It's the beginning of a new era in Canadian politics.
Like it or not, it had to happen. The PC's will be back.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JLives wrote:While I am glad to see him moving out of office I'm not going to say anything bad about him. I'm not going to say anything good either though. See you later Steven, onward and upward. I'm looking forward to our country's future.

Good to hear people, especially those who are usually negative, speak positively again about the outlook going forward for Canada. That in and of itself is a sign that it was time for a change.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
squirt10

Post by squirt10 »

Well ,Mr. Stephen Harper now has more time from invitations from NY corporate /republican boardrooms. Spent lot of time as or PM. source: NY times . I welcome our new" Steve" to our riding.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I can't honestly say that I ever liked the guy or what he stood for. He turned me off from day one and most of what he did as PM only confirmed my feelings about him, in fact, I think he surpassed my misgivings in that regard.

I don't think that he, as a leader, or that kind of politics is what Canada and most Canadians are comfortable with. Let's keep in mind, he only had one term as a majority leader (and this was while the Liberals were going through a major overhaul) and his actions and personal style during that term is when the real Harper came out and is what earned him the results we saw yesterday. And on top of that, to run deficits too? Forget it, we're far better off without him.

Although the country now has a LOT of work to do, he and all the Con MP's who were tossed out are on easy street. Good riddance.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Bman wrote:To me, he was just becoming the Canadian equivalent of the usa republicans.
And it's too bad, the PC's had a great chance if they addressed Harper and his omnipotence.
It's the beginning of a new era in Canadian politics.
Like it or not, it had to happen. The PC's will be back.

I'm curious, can you please explain this?

Do you think that the Progressive Conservative Party will actually be revived as a political entity or just the things they stood for under the banner of the Conservative Party Of Canada? To me, The Cons we have now (Conservative Reform Alliance Party) are quite different from the PCs of old.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

*bleep*!!!
Attachments
svlg7.jpg
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

OREZ wrote:I'm curious, can you please explain this?

Do you think that the Progressive Conservative Party will actually be revived as a political entity or just the things they stood for under the banner of the Conservative Party Of Canada? To me, The Cons we have now (Conservative Reform Alliance Party) are quite different from the PCs of old.

PCs are known as Liberals today (just like BC Liberals are actually Conservatives/Social Credit). There's really no difference on the left-right spectrum between Chretien and Brian Mulroney as far as I can tell, though that could be because I'm missing the details since Mulroney was before my time of being politically aware.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Glacier wrote:PCs are known as Liberals today (just like BC Liberals are actually Conservatives/Social Credit). There's really no difference on the left-right spectrum between Chretien and Brian Mulroney

Well, if that were true we would have never had anything but Liberal Governments since the Reform Party took over the PCs.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

A favoured comment on social media was that this was the most important election in Canadian history, or, in the very least, the most important since the Second World War. (Debating tip: whenever you want to make a simple statement sound profound, add “since the Second World War.”)

Except that … it’s not. That title would go to the ballot battle of 1988, in which Canadians decided it would be OK to dismantle factories wholesale and ship them to China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Thailand and anywhere else where sweatshops could ensure cheap widgets being sent to North American store shelves.

History knows it as the Free Trade Election. People who foresaw the disaster that free trade would bring likely remember it as the “I hate Mulroney” election.

Hard as it might be for some Harper-haters to believe, there once was a Tory prime minister who was equally loathsome and loathed. Brian Mulroney won a second majority in the 1988 election. Within five years, he was so despised that his party was destroyed and reduced to a mere two seats in the 1993 election. You could look it up.

So, when people throw around statements that Harper must be stopped, he’s ruining the country, Canada just isn’t the same … well, he was beaten to it by two decades by The Jaw That Walks Like a Man, as one scribbler dubbed the square-chinned Mulroney.

Mulroney set the course. Harper is merely the latest captain of the sorry ship of state. Liberal prime ministers Jean Chrétien and Paul Martin continued Mulroney’s legacy of right-wing policies (“Oh look!” said Paul. “Billions for the taking in the UI fund.”)

People who favour so-called strategic voting to rid the land of Harper should be under no illusions. The Liberals, when in power, have been every bit as conservative as the Conservatives.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Opinion/Colu ... ll-sides/1
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Merry wrote:
People who favour so-called strategic voting to rid the land of Harper should be under no illusions. The Liberals, when in power, have been every bit as conservative as the Conservatives.

Amen!!!

Wow those NDP grapes sure taste sour.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Political Arena”