It's a New Day for Canada

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: It's a New Day for Canada

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Glacier wrote:Finally — we got our country back

The best part about this is that if Trudeau falls short, including a failure to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, settle land claims with First Nations, reduce child poverty or "save" Canada's medicare system, it won't mean a return of hatred and fear over hope.

Only a Conservative leader could be responsible for that. Or at least that's how it's interpreted in Canadian political culture.

It will simply mean that a warm and fuzzy Trudeau had his heart in the right place and that he did the best he could. After all, he gave us our country back. What more could we ask for?

Yes, we have our country back. And somehow 61% of Canadians didn't vote for him either, while somehow it was the crime of the century when Harper was elected with 61% of Canadians not voting for him. The paradoxes continue to pile up, and continue to perplex.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

techrtr wrote:Groups like ISIS don't want peace, they want to take over everything. If they saw a blue beret, they would shoot it off.

Oh come on now. Groups like ISIS are just misunderstood. All they really need is a big hug and all will be good.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

And by hug do you mean a nice tight fitting vest?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

As I see it, the country that caused ISIS to be formed first place. Should be solely responsible for cleaning there mess. As if that would ever happen, they are great in making f'ed up messes. Not at actually cleaning it up.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Jx3 wrote:
Oh come on now. Groups like ISIS are just misunderstood. All they really need is a big hug and all will be good.

They just need a dreamboat leader who is going to take back their Caliphate that Assad stole from them. :)
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

jimmy4321 wrote:The news of the day is that the biggest problem is picking a cabinet.
There's a fair bit of talent and considering senior members, star candidates, regional representation, and now gender balance -there's gonna be a lot of sad faces.

I understand the idea of regional representation, and trying to make some effort to including First Nations, Muslims, and women at the table, but who is the best qualified should carry the most weight (behind perhaps regional representation). The Liberals have elected 10 Muslims and 10 First Nations, so there's a good shot of both being represented at cabinet, but the number of women elected was only 27% (50 of 187).

Therefore, sure, make it as gender neutral as you can, but don't try to force it up to 50% if you're taking 3 or 4th picks some times. By comparison, picking 50% women would be like trying to ensure 20% Muslim or First Nations based upon who was elected.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

It is indeed a new day for Canada, but the reality is that Harper and the CPC did NOT lose the election. The Liberals won it.

That may sound odd, but http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-numbers-1.3281210

The CPC got (within statistical error) the same number of votes as they did in the previous election.

The NDP LOST nearly 1 million votes.

The Bloc lost votes.

The Greens gained votes.

The Liberals GAINED 4 million votes.

It is interesting to note that ALL of the increased turnout seems to have voted Liberal. A lot of factors there. Is the face of Canada changing? Or did Trudeau give the apathetic a reason to get out and vote? Or were the apathetic motivated by anti-Harper feelings? Or perhaps all of those....
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Yes, we have our country back. And somehow 61% of Canadians didn't vote for him either, while somehow it was the crime of the century when Harper was elected with 61% of Canadians not voting for him. The paradoxes continue to pile up, and continue to perplex.

But, but, but when a handsome man like Justin gets in, it's different! Isn't it?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

The election is over. Finally.
The last 4 years in Ottawa were not about the Conservatives it was all about Harper.
The last 2 months were not about the Conservatives it was all about Harper.
Canadians have spoken. We got rid of the worse Canadian PM in history.
Watching Trudeau the day after the election greeting commuters at a subway station in Montréal, shaking hands with the guards while entering the doors of Parliament, answering the media's questions was so refreshing to see.
Trudeau will not be perfect of course. No one is. But man did we need a change.
Trudeau has a lot of work ahead of him repairing the damage Harper has done in the last 4 years. Those omnibus bills were brutal. Harper's fascination with war, anything war was brutal. Fear mongering was brutal.
Either Conservative, Liberal or NDP lets hope Canada never has a person the likes of Harper in power ever again.
The Federal Election threads have been interesting, informative and definitely entertaining. Lets do this again in 4 years.
Right Jo ?
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Time to go pick out a fancy new niqab for the missus, grab a nice new bong, a big bag of weed and a Costco size bag of Doritos and kick back with your feet up and watch our demilitarized "peacekeepers" delivering fluffy warm jackets and big hugs to ISIS on the TV while the budget balances itself.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Jx3 wrote:Time to go pick out a fancy new niqab for the missus, grab a nice new bong, a big bag of weed and a Costco size bag of Doritos and kick back with your feet up and watch our demilitarized "peacekeepers" delivering fluffy warm jackets and big hugs to ISIS on the TV while the budget balances itself.

sounds like sour grapes
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
They just need a dreamboat leader who is going to take back their Caliphate that Assad stole from them. :)

I hear Harpers lookin' for work.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Glacier wrote:I understand the idea of regional representation, and trying to make some effort to including First Nations, Muslims, and women at the table, but who is the best qualified should carry the most weight (behind perhaps regional representation). The Liberals have elected 10 Muslims and 10 First Nations, so there's a good shot of both being represented at cabinet, but the number of women elected was only 27% (50 of 187).

Therefore, sure, make it as gender neutral as you can, but don't try to force it up to 50% if you're taking 3 or 4th picks some times. By comparison, picking 50% women would be like trying to ensure 20% Muslim or First Nations based upon who was elected.

And it will. We make up a slightly larger part of the population than men. There is no legitimate reason we should not be represented in that proportion in our government. It seems our previous leaders thought males were more qualified for some reason and that makes it harder for women and minorities to take those roles and become "more qualified". I am thrilled that we are going to have a government made up of a more accurate representation OF the people. Of course I would rather be voting on the issues themselves but this will do for now.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Gone_Fishin wrote:But, but, but when a handsome man like Justin gets in, it's different! Isn't it?

It sure is. We get competence, intelligence, empathy, understanding and a sense of adventure. He's handsome on the outside because he's handsome on the inside. Different feels great right now.

And I LOVE that you try to attack him on good looks. For one, it's ok to look like what you look like. For two, you can't attack him on anything of substance so it's all you got left. You're acting like a poor loser.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:I understand the idea of regional representation, and trying to make some effort to including First Nations, Muslims, and women at the table, but who is the best qualified should carry the most weight (behind perhaps regional representation). The Liberals have elected 10 Muslims and 10 First Nations, so there's a good shot of both being represented at cabinet, but the number of women elected was only 27% (50 of 187).

JLives wrote:And it will. We make up a slightly larger part of the population than men. There is no legitimate reason we should not be represented in that proportion in our government. It seems our previous leaders thought males were more qualified for some reason and that makes it harder for women and minorities to take those roles and become "more qualified". I am thrilled that we are going to have a government made up of a more accurate representation OF the people. Of course I would rather be voting on the issues themselves but this will do for now.

If one is qualified to do the job, it should not matter the gender.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Political Arena”