Mr Prime Minister: Jobs & how to create them?

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Mr Prime Minister: Jobs & how to create them?

Post by I Think »

A note from you to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau with suggestions about creating jobs.
Imagine his response when reading the posts here (if any) so lets make sensible, meaningful posts.
If you disagree with a post please state why, rather than belittling or insulting fellow posters.

*Keep this civil. Because if it isn't, we're deleting without comment.*
Last edited by Jo on Nov 7th, 2015, 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please take note of above ^^^^
We're lost but we're making good time.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Mr Prime Minister, Jobs & how to create them?

Post by I Think »

Dear Sir, in your campaign, you indicated that you would make investments in infrastructure. I think this is a good idea and would like to see HW1 turned into a world class highway from coast to coast. This would both create jobs, and facilitate the movement of goods and materials, lowering transport costs and thus making goods less expensive.
logicalview
Guru

Re: Mr Prime Minister: Jobs & how to create them?

Post by logicalview »

I agree that it's high time the TransCanada was 4 laned coast to coast. It's kind of ridiculous that we still have stretches of our national highway where I have to plod along behind an RV doing 60 Km/hr. Make it happen JT! I support you 100% in this endeavor.
Not afraid to say "It".
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Your right about the Trans Canada
Last edited by jimmy4321 on Oct 22nd, 2015, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

logicalview wrote:I agree that it's high time the TransCanada was 4 laned coast to coast. It's kind of ridiculous that we still have stretches of our national highway where I have to plod along behind an RV doing 60 Km/hr. Make it happen JT! I support you 100% in this endeavor.

No less than five sections on the TransCanada are being worked on now, including snowshed upgrades, between Kelowna and Lake Louise.

I expect JT will stay the course on infrastructure up-grades.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

One can but hope Queen, I remember getting ticked off at Chretien for making a big deal out of upgrading the Kicking Horse Pass, spending twenty million dollars over a few years, (as I recall), when we send a billion dollars in gasoline taxes to Ottawa every year.

Has the Coque been made into the Trans Canada? if not should it be?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

And is all the money to pay for this four lane coast to coast super highway just gonna fall from the magic money tree?
Do you really think plunging the country further into debt to create jobs is a good plan?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

LTD wrote:And is all the money to pay for this four lane coast to coast super highway just gonna fall from the magic money tree?
Do you really think plunging the country further into debt to create jobs is a good plan?

JT said he was going to do it, and the people responded by giving him a majority. Whether its a good idea or not isn't relevant. Just as the discussion as to whether it a good idea for Harper to cut 2% off the GST and $14 billion per year in government revenues wasn't relevant, it was what the people who voted for him wanted.

I think the GST going back to 7% is in the offing, and I don't think too many people are going to complain. Especially if the increased revenues are going to go back into jobs and infrastructure. I'd much rather have those funds coming from GST rather than penalizing corporations with higher income taxes, which will have the opposite effect, and cause job losses.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

LTD wrote:And is all the money to pay for this four lane coast to coast super highway just gonna fall from the magic money tree?

Yes. I do think it's a good plan. Or 1/2 of a good plan. When the economy has taken a downturn, the government can take the opportunity to work on infrastructure projects with less competition for goods, materials, labour etc.

The other 1/2 of the plan is to NOT do the work when the economy is booming, so as not to compete for labour and material with the private sector. And that is also the time to kick taxes up a notch.

If JT can do BOTH parts of this, then I applaud him.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Given the fact that highway 1 is the main route for keeping the jobs going, it's well worth the investment to bring it up to the 21st century standards. It would be nice if it were like the Coq in design. I hope Trudeau puts big money into this and not just into the big cities.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Glacier wrote:Given the fact that highway 1 is the main route for keeping the jobs going, it's well worth the investment to bring it up to the 21st century standards. It would be nice if it were like the Coq in design. I hope Trudeau puts big money into this and not just into the big cities.

I hear what you are saying. If a majority of the infrastructure cash gets funneled into Quebec, I will be greatly saddened.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Tacklewasher wrote:

If he can do BOTH parts, then he should be re-elected for 2019 in advance.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Tacklewasher wrote:Yes. I do think it's a good plan. Or 1/2 of a good plan. When the economy has taken a downturn, the government can take the opportunity to work on infrastructure projects with less competition for goods, materials, labour etc.

The other 1/2 of the plan is to NOT do the work when the economy is booming, so as not to compete for labour and material with the private sector. And that is also the time to kick taxes up a notch.

I agree that this is the time to get around to these types of projects. He surely knows that he will face criticism from some for spending money, as usual, so I think it's a gutsy thing to do.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Spending money when the economy has taken a downturn is like buying a new car the day after you get laid off it doesn't make sense you wouldn't run a business this way when times are tight you don't go spending like crazy
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

^^I can't go along with that analogy at all.

Buying a new car the day after you lose your job does nothing but put you in debt for something that wasn't needed. Creating jobs and improving infrastructure has many direct and spin-off benefits and, as has already been stated, the time to do it is when there is less competition for things like the materials and labour force.

But, it is a bold move and it requires vision, it's not for everyone.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

Return to “Political Arena”