It's a New Day for Canada

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
I Think
Guru

Re: It's a New Day for Canada

Post by I Think »

Geo, JT does not need the NDP, because of his solid majority. Any negotiating along those lines will be very one sided, it will be the NDP with it's hat in its hand.
I do not think it is a likely scenario.
Much as I am not a big fan of the NDP, based on BC history, the country is better off because they are there, supporting a segment of the population that might be pushed to the curb without the NDP's voice.
Problem with being stupid is, you don't know you're stupid
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

JLives wrote:
. I like that we have a Prime minister in good physical shape.

So you are saying that if we had a prime minister in a wheel-chair, that you take that as a reason not to vote for them, because they weren't as virile and healthy as a guy who likes to throw himself down stairs? Why doesn't that surprise me.

He's healthy and it helps for a sharp mind and stress relief as well.

I thought that's why he smokes so much ganja.

How can you say nobody held them to any account when at the beginning of the campaign they were in third place?

Merry quoted an article (in one of her many cut and pastes) which listed all of the items that the Liberals seemed to be in lock-step with the NDP, which the NDP was getting roasted for, and the Liberals were just humming along not taking any criticism. Have a look for it, or I can try and weed through one of her ten thousand posts to find it. It was actually quite funny, and on point, which was rare for a Merry post.

There is one thing for sure. You remain a Conservative shill.

(rifles through script) And you remain a Communist shill. Was that on script? I believe that's supposed to be my canned response to your canned comment of the same nature.
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

I Think wrote:
Much as I am not a big fan of the NDP, .

hee hee
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

George+ wrote:Time to unite the center left.

Even though I am still not a Liberal fan.

Liberal Democrats?

Why would you invite into your party a whole bunch of spaced-out NDP losers? Talk about dragging down the average IQ of your party to almost zero.
Not afraid to say "It".
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:Time to unite the center left.

Even though I am still not a Liberal fan.

Liberal Democrats?
No, I supported the Liberals because they're pretty much in the middle. I wouldn't be happy to see the NDP and Liberals unite. Bad idea George. Trudeau and Mulcair both think it's a bad idea too.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

logicalview wrote:because they weren't as virile and healthy as a guy who likes to throw himself down stairs?

Merry quoted an article (in one of her many cut and pastes) which listed all of the items that the Liberals seemed to be in lock-step with the NDP, which the NDP was getting roasted for, and the Liberals were just humming along not taking any criticism. Have a look for it, or I can try and weed through one of her ten thousand posts to find it. It was actually quite funny, and on point, which was rare for a Merry post.

You think Justin Trudeau is virile ? Oh my LV ..
You read Merry's posts ? That's a surprise.
I read all of Urbane's posts. Very informative. So were Merry's. Never read any posts for the Harper's side because there were none except a few from Donald G. I think some might have been swayed to vote for him if one had read a good argument to do so. Anyways ..
Will see what Trudeau has to offer. Too soon to tell. If we don't like what he does we can always boot him out in 4 years .. down the stairs he goes ..
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urbane wrote:No, I supported the Liberals because they're pretty much in the middle.

and therein lies the secret of why the Liberals got a majority. The MIDDLE. Something the NDP just can't get to. Even with a leader who desperately wants to get there. The NDP core just can't accept middle-of-the-road policy. It's economic destruction or nothing, all in the name of failed ideology.
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

It's a new day for Canada but some aspects will look a lot like the previous day:

Trudeau faces roadblock
by The Canadian Press | Story: 150293 - Oct 22, 2015

Justin Trudeau's forthcoming legislative agenda could face roadblocks in the Senate, requiring his Liberal government to negotiate concessions with Conservative senators who hold the hammer of the majority in the upper chamber.

The Tories hold the most seats in the upper chamber and would be able to use that leverage to slow down legislation, force amendments or push their own private member's bills up higher on the Senate's agenda.

That was what the Liberals did when Stephen Harper was first elected in 2006. The Tories were the minority in the upper chamber and had to negotiate with the Liberal majority to get legislation like the Accountability Act passed into law.

"We're going to deal with them just like they dealt with us when they were the majority," said one senior Conservative senator, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the caucus had yet to discuss its next steps.

Most negotiations, the senator said, will be civil, although Conservatives may not freely give their votes on legislation.

"I don't have any responsibility to pass Liberal legislation."

A senior Liberal in the Senate likened it to guerilla warfare: the Tories will pick their spots to score political points, but avoid all-out war that could hurt the reputation of the Senate.

Another Conservative senator said an acrimonious Senate would only reinforce the popular narrative that the place is packed with partisans who are not interested in critically reviewing legislation, the upper chamber's traditional role of sober second thought.

There are 22 vacant seats in the Senate; another opens up in February with the impending retirement of Conservative Irving Gerstein, the party's top fundraiser. By the end of 2016, there will be 26 vacant seats as Conservative Michel Rivard and Liberals Celine Hervieux-Payette and David Smith hit the mandatory retirement age of 75.

Filling all those seats with Liberal-minded senators would give Trudeau more than half of the 105 seats in the Senate.

Trudeau has promised to create an advisory panel that would make recommendations on Senate appointments in a bid to remove some of the partisanship from the upper chamber.

Trudeau didn't put a timeline on when that promise would be kept when he was asked about it during a news conference earlier this week.

Nor did he say what he would do about getting his government's agenda through the Senate, including having a Liberal point man in the upper chamber.

"These are part of the conversations that we'll be having with Senate leadership to ensure that both our government can function well in both Houses, but also that we have the kind of thoughtful non — or less — partisan approach from the Senate that I think Canadians expect," Trudeau said.

That has left long-time members of the Senate wondering what will happen next.

Usually a change of government means that parties swap government and opposition offices in the Centre Block. This time, everyone is staying put for now: Liberals in the Senate have yet to hear from Trudeau about what role they will play, given they were all turfed from Trudeau's caucus last year.
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#150293
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

there are a lot of openings in the Senate, so Justin will be able to dole out some patronage. I hope he makes some good choices. In that vein, I'd like to nominate Urbane. We should start up an internet campaign on Castanet to get JT to give Urbane at least a cursory glance rather than just the regular pork barrelers who line up at the trough when they hear that six-figure jobs are being handed out. Urbane for senator!!
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The Green Barbarian wrote:there are a lot of openings in the Senate, so Justin will be able to dole out some patronage. I hope he makes some good choices. In that vein, I'd like to nominate Urbane. We should start up an internet campaign on Castanet to get JT to give Urbane at least a cursory glance rather than just the regular pork barrelers who line up at the trough when they hear that six-figure jobs are being handed out. Urbane for senator!!
Thanks for the nomination but living in Ottawa would be a real step down. Now if we could convince JT to move the Senate to the Okanagan I might be interested!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Urbane wrote:Thanks for the nomination but living in Ottawa would be a real step down. Now if we could convince JT to move the Senate to the Okanagan I might be interested!

You don't have to live there! You can keep a residence here, and claim a vacation residence there, and...

On second thought, scrap that...
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

Here's something that I was thinking about before the election. We all know that Stephen Harper is an extreme introvert, and hated anything going off script so much they he felt like he needed to control everything including how many questions he could get from the media. Now, I think that people have rightly criticized this sort of behavior for being unacceptable, but in many respects his motives for such authoritarian tendencies have been exaggerated.

If he truly were the evil dictator for life that many on the left accused him of being, he would have filled those Senate seats with Conservatives before the election. This would have stopped the Liberals from passing their legislation until the next election. Since he didn't do this, I am of the opinion that his control-freak tendencies stem from his extreme introversion, and not from an evil desire to cling to power at all costs like Mao Zedong or Putin.
The worst part about a 7 day lockdown is the first 4 months.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Urbane wrote:Thanks for the nomination but living in Ottawa would be a real step down. Now if we could convince JT to move the Senate to the Okanagan I might be interested!

Yeah Urbane, just get a cottage on PEI, apparently nothing can go wrong with a plan like that... :)
LET'S GO BRANDON!

GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Yep, right next to Green Gables lol
"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Glacier wrote:Here's something that I was thinking about before the election. We all know that Stephen Harper is an extreme introvert, and hated anything going off script so much they he felt like he needed to control everything including how many questions he could get from the media. Now, I think that people have rightly criticized this sort of behavior for being unacceptable, but in many respects his motives for such authoritarian tendencies have been exaggerated.

If he truly were the evil dictator for life that many on the left accused him of being, he would have filled those Senate seats with Conservatives before the election. This would have stopped the Liberals from passing their legislation until the next election. Since he didn't do this, I am of the opinion that his control-freak tendencies stem from his extreme introversion, and not from an evil desire to cling to power at all costs like Mao Zedong or Putin.

Good points Glacier. I don't think that Harper was as big a control freak as he was made out to be. I also think that the whole scripted questions thing was driven out of the fact that the Media in this country is always out to spin anything from the Conservatives as a negative. Now that being said, I think Harper took things too far and was beyond paranoid about the media by the end. I fully expect the media now to totally treat Justin with kid-gloves, as they used to do with his dad (especially the leftist media who fawned all over him). I highly doubt Justin will face the kind of questions the CBC used to lob at the Conservatives, as they will now begin a love affair with JT that will go on until the end of time, just like Pierre.

Honestly, do you see the CBC treating JT or any Liberals like this? With a question this dumb?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/16 ... 92756.html
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Return to “Political Arena”