Thank you Mulcair

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Thank you Mulcair

Post by GordonH »

^^^ GB not sure where you got your numbers here are Election Canada figures according to Mondays election.

2015 vs 2011 Election main 5 Parties :

Conservatives received 5,600,496 votes in 2011 they received 5,835,270 votes a drop of 233,774 votes resulting in a drop of 67 seats.

Liberals received 6,930,136 votes in 2011 they received 2,783,076 votes an increase of 4,147,060 votes resulting in a increase of 150 seats.

NDP received 3,461,262 votes in 2011 they received 4,512,411 votes a drop of 1,051,149 votes resulting in a drop of 59 seats.

Bloc Québécois received 818,652 votes in 2011 they received 891,425 votes a drop of 72,773 votes resulting in increase of 6 seats

Green received 605,864 votes in 2011 they received 572,095 votes an increase of 33,769 votes resulting in no change in seat count
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

GB results are consistent with what is on the CBC website

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada- ... -1.3281210

I've seen both numbers here so I'm not sure which is the accurate result.

The point remains that the loss of votes from 2011 to 2015 is more dramatic for the NDP than for the Cons.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

The effect was a 60 seat loss for the Cons.
But a 50 sear loss for the NDP.

Most of the NDP loss was in Quebec.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

George+ wrote:The effect was a 60 seat loss for the Cons.
But a 50 sear loss for the NDP.

Most of the NDP loss was in Quebec.

Right. As the NDP had far fewer seats to begin with, the percentage drop for the NDP was catastrophic. It would have been nice to see the NDP wiped down to 11 seats, as they'd then lose their official party status.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Tacklewasher wrote:GB results are consistent with what is on the CBC website

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada- ... -1.3281210

I've seen both numbers here so I'm not sure which is the accurate result.

The point remains that the loss of votes from 2011 to 2015 is more dramatic for the NDP than for the Cons.

Elections Canada since they are in charge of the count.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

The Prime Minister gone is...
quite dramatic!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

George+ wrote:The Prime Minister gone is...
quite dramatic!

So is Mulclair gone......even more satisfying. If I have to eat sherbet rather than ice cream for the next 4 yrs, I'm a pig chittin happy dude.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Harpers done..period.

Mulcair will get to choose what he wants to do.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:Harpers done..period.

Mulcair will get to choose what he wants to do.
Given that the NDP lost so many seats, and potential leaders to replace Mulcair were defeated, he's probably going to be allowed to stay as leader for a while. Pretending to be a centrist party didn't work so the NDP will have to figure out what to do next.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Urbane wrote: Given that the NDP lost so many seats, and potential leaders to replace Mulcair were defeated, he's probably going to be allowed to stay as leader for a while.

Good point. That and the fact he is a strong voice and a good speaker in Parliament. He can still serve his Party, and even his country by using that voice to challenge thinking and pressure others to be accountable. In an open and inclusive government as promised by Trudeau, Mulcair could still be quite effective. We should also not discount or forget the role Thomas Mulcair played in first exposing and bringing to public Stephen Harper as the egotistical self-serving autocrat . Thank you Mulcair!

Urbane wrote: Pretending to be a centrist party didn't work so the NDP will have to figure out what to do next.

The NDP will never truly become a centrist Party and they will never form government of Canada. They may one day become official opposition again, and the only reason they lost official opposition status in this last election is because of the strategic movement of votes towards the Liberals who became seen as having the best chance of defeating the Harper government. As much as the Conservative supporters want to play on the fact Trudeau only received 39.5 per cent of the popular vote (and a majority 184 seats), they are conveniently (and probably deliberately) missing the point. The Conservatives only received 31.9 per cent of the popular vote. What really happened in this last election is that 68.1 per cent of Canadians voted against Harper. More than two thirds of Canadian voters decided that the guy leading the Conservative Party was not good for our country and was an embarrassment to our country and needed to be turfed. That is a significant statement. A big and well-deserved congratulations to the Canadian voters for getting off their butts and taking Canada back from the Harper government.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Don't kid yourselves, the conservative likely would have won this election had it not been for their Harper strategy and him as their leader. Had he admitted what he did late in their election, that this wasn't about him, he could have stepped down. They would have won with a new leader. As for Mulcair, he was the wrong leader which is evidenced by his total defeat. Well not total but a far cry from official opposition. If I were the Liberals I wouldn't get too comfortable in Ottawa.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Ka-El wrote:They may one day become official opposition again, and the only reason they lost official opposition status in this last election is because of the strategic movement of votes towards the Liberals who became seen as having the best chance of defeating the Harper government. .

I think that this is too easy of an explanation. The NDP didn't just lose because of vote migration, they lost because they had really really stupid policies. Taxing stock options at 100% is just plain brain-dead. Adopting the failed Quebec day-care model and blowing billions of taxpayer dollars didn't resonate with anyone who can see a union scam coming from a hundred miles away. Blowing hundreds of millions on Canada Post because the CUPW tells the NDP they have to is just plain dumb. The NDP did lose some votes to migration, yes, but they also lost because their policies are terrible. And their leader isn't very likeable, especially with that fake creepy grin frozen on his face. The NDP got 44 seats, but they deserved 5.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

The Liberals have been forgiven for their sins and so long as they don't mess up again - Aything over 20% the NDP enjoyed in those dark days are gone.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

mr.bandaid wrote:Don't kid yourselves, the conservative likely would have won this election had it not been for their Harper strategy and him as their leader. Had he admitted what he did late in their election, that this wasn't about him, he could have stepped down. They would have won with a new leader. As for Mulcair, he was the wrong leader which is evidenced by his total defeat. Well not total but a far cry from official opposition. If I were the Liberals I wouldn't get too comfortable in Ottawa.

lol um yea right , dream on
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

jimmy4321 wrote:The Liberals have been forgiven for their sins and so long as they don't mess up again - Aything over 20% the NDP enjoyed in those dark days are gone.

The Liberals will mess up again. All governments mess up. Especially if they get more than two terms. It's inevitable.

Return to “Political Arena”