Trudeau invites premiers to Paris climate talks

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Trudeau invites Premiers to Paris climate talks.

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Remember how mad Justin was in 2011 when the government refused to pay for him to fly to Durban, South Africa for the 2011 elitist climate change party? Man, he was just so angry!

Good to know that anyone and everyone now can go to every man-made climate change party on taxpayer expense. Why did he ditch the cool goatee and cut his hair? He was just so dreamy in 2011!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

The effect of too much CO2 in the air.

Edit: but look how green those plants are!
Last edited by Omnitheo on Oct 23rd, 2015, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Glacier wrote:Should we do more to reduce pollution? Absolutely!

Change the words " climate change " to good old word " pollution " and I think the entire world would pay more attention.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:Change the words " climate change " to good old word " pollution " and I think the entire world would pay more attention.

Well, except for VW.....
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Why did he ditch the cool goatee and cut his hair? He was just so dreamy in 2011!

Dreamy then .. dreamy now !!

" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

It is being reported that the Canadian Federal party leaders are being invited too.
More good solid moves on the Prime Minister's part.
We're lost but we're making good time.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I Think wrote:It is being reported that the Canadian Federal party leaders are being invited too.
More good solid moves on the Prime Minister's part.

well of course, invite everyone. Why not just invite the entire country. Let's all go to Paris for a big climate party.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The idea of a new PM inviting the Premiers and Leaders of opposing parties to this conference in Paris seems a good move to me. It will give all a chance to be involved in the issue, perhaps resulting in a position that is doable. Nothing will happen unless a solution is crafted that is workable.

This is also part of the hard work that Harper didn't do. Getting as many onside as possible, listening to them, dealing with their concerns. That could, if kept up, open the door to things like say opening up a constitutional amendment about the senate, or even some changes to the Charter that would balance it a bit more toward public safety? You need to have ALL these players on board down the road if you want to do anything significant.

It also may serve to heal some of the wounds from the campaign.

It is an old thing, but if you want to change anything, you need to have your opponents looking good in the process.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

Ridiculous. And can you imagine how much taxpayers will be shelling out to book last minute flights for all of these premiers and leaders (and I would imagine all will travel with staff), not to mention the cost of booking hotels at the last minute. But hey, it's only money - and not their's. Add on the irony of more diesel spewing cars to transport these people to and from the conference over almost two weeks in what is already one of the dirtiest cities in the world and you have hypocrisy at its best. I love this column regarding Obama and the conference - just substitute Justin's name as they are pretty much interchangable:

After failing at almost every foreign policy challenge he has been confronted with, perhaps there is now something on the horizon that actually sets up nicely for President Obama. The Paris Conference on Climate Change, which will be held from Nov. 30 to Dec. 11, could be an event that perfectly matches his skills and interests.

The U.N.-sponsored Paris festival lends itself to unrealistic giveaways and meaningless rhetoric — the more self-righteous and pretentious, the better. The meeting won’t produce any particular result, and the day of reckoning where we find out it was all for naught won’t be scientifically determined until many years in the future. It seems well-suited for this president.

All Obama has to do is go to Paris, give a vapid speech about saving the planet, capitulate to those who would like to see the United States weakened, pretend that others will fulfill their pledges to reduce carbon emissions and then return home to a round of self-congratulations from his own staff and sycophant appointees. To follow up on his brave proposals, all he has to do is sign a couple of executive orders that slap American businesses with some gratuitous, onerous regulations and declare that a noble deed has been done. And, by the way, the White House will have to do whatever it takes to keep any agreement reached in Paris from being voted on in Congress.

Let’s remember that the Obama administration failed in its pivot to Asia, could not reset with Russia, could not find an opening to the Arab world, could not successfully negotiate with Iran, could not successfully end two wars, could not follow through on its own red lines drawn in Syria — much less change the regime — so forgive me if I am skeptical that this president can go to Paris and save the world. Isn’t it a little ironic that the elite will meet in Paris, of all places, to plan the energy scarcity they want the rest of us to endure? The bar at the Hotel George V seems to be the perfect place to decide that Africa will remain energy-starved and the rest of us will have to pay more for the energy we have.

The pious media parade has already begun. The solemn coverage of the “road to Paris” has started, and it almost universally has an earnest, determined and reverent tone that suggests the whole affair should be treated as something almost spiritual. And you can bet it will be a gathering of true believers. No skeptics will be given the microphone. Only the most zealous among the affluent will be allowed to talk and only the most compliant among the poor will be allowed to beg. And oh, by the way, Obama will make commitments to burden the rest of us with higher energy prices and even lifestyle changes that will never apply to him.
Ed Rogers
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

All expenses paid holiday in Paris to talk about the weather. Hey look, it's sunny today but it rained yesterday, how about that? Now pass the brie and the cabernet. What a sweet gig!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Carmencat wrote:Ridiculous. And can you imagine how much taxpayers will be shelling out to book last minute flights for all of these premiers and leaders (and I would imagine all will travel with staff), not to mention the cost of booking hotels at the last minute. But hey, it's only money - and not their's. Add on the irony of more diesel spewing cars to transport these people to and from the conference over almost two weeks in what is already one of the dirtiest cities in the world and you have hypocrisy at its best.

I don't think you understand how big a deal this conference is for leftists, and Trudeau is to the left of Mulcair in many respects. This international meeting is thought of as the most important international conference since the 2nd World War, and the results will change the course of history. If you put yourself in the shoes of Trudeau, you would understand. Imagine that the world is burning up, 100s of millions will die, economies will crash, et cetera, and we can do something to stop this. Basically think of the 1929 crash plus WW2, and how important it will be to all those government leaders who will sit down and fix this problem without guns and violence.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Carmencat, I'm not sure what the point of your rant is, but it is so full of ignorance and misinformation that I regret taking the time to read it.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

Lol Omnitheo. My 'rant' was the first paragraph of my post, the rest as indicated was a column by a gentleman whose name is at the end of it. Sorry that seemed to have gone over your head. You could have saved yourself some time.

And au contraire Glacier, I am well aware of how the leftists are salivating over the upcoming conference. It is mega important to them. (Which is why I posted the column which I thought was both funny and spot on). Yes, it is the most important conference in the history of the world to them. To others, not so much. And yes, Justin is not only left of Mulcair, but quite possibly left of Elizabeth May. Though David Suzuki thinks he is a twerp and all over the map where climate change is concerned. So there is that.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Carmencat wrote:Though David Suzuki thinks he is a twerp and all over the map where climate change is concerned. So there is that.

I'm sure that when Trudeau throws a bucketful of money toward Suzuki, he'll hail Pony Boy as a Great Canadian.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

The main reason the reputation of the oil sands is in the crapper and we could not get any pipelines built is the sad fact that Harper's and the CPC's position on climate change was basically that of imbeciles. Backwards idiots. Dolts.

I don't know how much it will cost to repair the damage to our image that those right wing morons caused, but it's cheaper than the alternative of not selling our oil.

Return to “Political Arena”