The Canadian Government

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
inquisitive
Fledgling

The Canadian Government

Post by inquisitive »

Let's tell our new government NOT to call itself "The Trudeau Government". It's the Canadian Government
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: The Canadian Government

Post by I Think »

Good idea, but do remember that we called the last one the Harper government much of the time.
This govt will have Trudeau's input all over it.
We're lost but we're making good time.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Is it the government calling itself that, or the media??
hail Satan y'all
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Need to reform to a representative election or

Unite the center left.
AirHoss
Board Meister

Post by AirHoss »

This lunacy started under Harper. Remember the memo he sent out specifically dictating all releases read "harper government" instead of Government of Canada.
I expect to hear Harper Conservatives and Trudeau Liberals, but leave your surname off MY public service.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

AirHoss wrote:. Remember the memo he sent out specifically dictating all releases read "harper government" instead of Government of Canada.

I don't remember this, as it never actually happened. Yet another urban myth, that was immediately swallowed wholesale. Just like the myth that he supposedly said that Canadians wouldn't recognize Canada after he was through with it. Yet no one can actually find a speech anywhere that he said this. It was completely invented in 2006 by a Liberal attack ad. But who cares right?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

I Think wrote:Good idea, but do remember that we called the last one the Harper government much of the time.

This practice was discontinued before the 2011 election.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

And aid to remembering:
“You won’t recognize Canada when I’m through with it,” warned Prime Minister Stephen Harper in 2006, the harbinger of his boast the elevation of the role of the Canadian Forces.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comme ... laying-war
Chill
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

More remembering aids:

From taking office in February 2006 until October 2007, the government was branded "Canada's New Government" and from late-2010 to mid-2011 it has been branded the "Harper Government".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premiersh ... hen_Harper
Chill
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

flamingfingers wrote:And aid to remembering:

“You won’t recognize Canada when I’m through with it,” warned Prime Minister Stephen Harper in 2006, the harbinger of his boast the elevation of the role of the Canadian Forces.
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comme ... laying-war

and yet not really. I saw that quote too, but yet it's just a quote in a news article with no frame of reference as to when he said it. Because he didn't say it. Where that quote came from was Liberal attack ads in 2006, and this author has just attributed that quote to the Liberal attack ads, with no actual source. Shoddy journalism, but the kind we have come to expect in Canada when the media aren't fawning over Shiny Pony or Angry Tom.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

flamingfingers wrote:More remembering aids:

From taking office in February 2006 until October 2007, the government was branded "Canada's New Government" and from late-2010 to mid-2011 it has been branded the "Harper Government".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premiersh ... hen_Harper

And more not really at all. Where is this "memo" that was referenced in the post? That was the blarney that was sold to the public. And thank you also for proving my point that this term was essentially abandoned before the 2011 election, and yet for four years we had braying donkeys still crying about "the Harper government". Misinformation at its finest.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

The Green Barbarian wrote:This practice was discontinued before the 2011 election.

You're wrong yet again, the official practice actually began in 2011.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 2446969164
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Where is this "memo" that was referenced in the post?

OTTAWA—It’s official: Stephen Harper rules.
And lest anyone forgets, a directive went out to public servants late last year that “Government of Canada” in federal communications should be replaced by “Harper Government.”

Public servants from four different line departments told The Canadian Press the instruction came from “the Centre” — meaning the Prime Minister’s Office and the Privy Council Office that serves the Prime Minister.

None would speak on the record for fear of retribution. It’s a well-grounded concern given the treatment of a senior government scientist who was fired in 2006 after rebelling against a directive to use “Canada’s new government” in government communications.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2011/03/03/tories_rebrand_government_of_canada_as_harper_government.html
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Hurtlander wrote:You're wrong yet again, the official practice actually began in 2011.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 2446969164

Your link goes nowhere. It actually began in 2010 and ended in 2011. So no, I'm not "wrong again". Good grief, just admit it guys, you are crying about something that is over 4 years old and long gone.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:
None would speak on the record for fear of retribution.

of course they wouldn't. That just makes it so easy to avoid having to verify any of the information. Anyway, ok, so that's the first I've seen of actual proof (sort of) that the directive came from the top. And it ended in 2011. So who cares.

Return to “Political Arena”