Trudeau government - so much for science

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Trudeau government - so much for science

Post by rustled »

Oh, the irony.

That 97% figure didn't come from a scientific procedure. It came from the equivalent of an uninformed blogger, who set out to force government policy to change and came up with some data to make others get on his bandwagon.

And it worked so well! Now the folk on the bandwagon are chirping along to his tune. They're utterly convinced what they're chirping reflects true science, and they needn't consider any evidence to the contrary until Dear Leader tells them to do so.

The wheels are coming off the bandwagon, slowly but surely, even as we go back to the same old talking points and adopt more strategies that line the same already-wealthy peoples' pockets.

I wish more people were willing to acknowledge how our fixation on the catastrophe narrative is counterproductive. Like moths drawn to the light, that's where we keep ending up, wasting the resources we could instead put toward practical solutions to third-world problems which are clearly real, and clearly solvable with the resources we squander on first-world follies.

How long should we stand by while first-world governments, encouraged by people who clearly enjoy a very comfortable standard of living, continue to inflict further misery on those least able to afford it in our own countries?

How comfortable should we be with squandering resources on ourselves when so much of the world struggles to get by with coal and kerosene?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

all more reason to get of carbon.you ever read scifi novel where in the future humans are still using oil ? i didnt think so
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

sigh some folks want to believe in some long white bearded dude made himans fly at it . still doesnt change evolution as fact
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

My son was doing a homework assignment last night on the computer (grade 5). The goal was the build a simulated city, and part of that was the build power plants to generate power. You could go with solar, wind, coal, biomass, nuclear, etc. Interestingly, his coal and nuclear plants didn't give him very much points, so he had to mostly build wind and solar projects. I found this really interesting. David Suzuki would have been proud.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Investing In Solar Power Pays Off For Communities - http://huff.to/1N1NvtR as would these folks
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

maryjane48 wrote:lol evolution is fact , only some bible thumping rightwing loon would ever say otherwise . pssst the parting of the red sea never happened or psssst dinosaures are more than 4500 years old .

Yet your people believe you fly around in ravens.

Odd how you selectively use those tidbits when they are (in your mind) to your advantage.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 1st, 2015, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Who knows best about global warming, the raving right wingers hearabouts
or
Branson, Gates, Trudeau, thousands of scientists, NOAA, NASA etc.?
We're lost but we're making good time.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Gates isn't saying he knows climate change, however he feels he would like to spend his money on that, that is his choice, it's his money, why should Canadians have money taken from their pockets without choice to fund Gates dreams of new energy systems?

Elon Musk is making his own, why not the other billionaires?

Why does his money need to be conditional on taking from taxpayers as well?

In terms of having money the 5.65 billion Trudeau is promising, it is weekend spending money to Gates. If Gates wants to do that, I fully support it, and actually hope he manages to come up with something, but then when he does I'll buy the product same as with Windows etc that gave him the money. Gates is supporting the idea of better energy development, not a pro on climate change. To say Gates knows everything about climate change, just the same as a different celebrity saying they know more about the oilsands than the people working them.

Celebrities and big money names support different things, doesn't make them the professional.

As for scientists, again, it is the matter of the science of it all. Real science, and currently the way they get paid big money is by selling this theory as the best way to get the funding they want.

Yes it is something that deserves research, but the billions getting planned aren't going to change anything from what the big names could do themselves. Why should someone making $25,000 annual income now pay an addition tax on everything for "carbon" so that Bill Gates can feel good about his billions?

It's simply not a solution.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Glacier wrote:My son was doing a homework assignment last night on the computer (grade 5). The goal was the build a simulated city, and part of that was the build power plants to generate power. You could go with solar, wind, coal, biomass, nuclear, etc. Interestingly, his coal and nuclear plants didn't give him very much points, so he had to mostly build wind and solar projects. I found this really interesting. David Suzuki would have been proud.

maryjane48 wrote:Investing In Solar Power Pays Off For Communities - http://huff.to/1N1NvtR as would these folks

In our schools, instead of teaching comparative values and critical thought, PC projects indoctrinate our young with the blinding greenspeak that will keep another generation from paying attention to the bigger picture.

In first world countries, we are replacing our own reasonably clean and reasonably affordable energies with resources that could instead be bringing life-changing power to the world's poorest people, who currently rely on kerosene and coal and dung.

I'm not up for patting ourselves on the back for our already-proven ability to use more, and more, and more.

Last week, we heard that some of the unrest in the middle east may be a result of what we're foisting on the world. Instead of looking at the inequities we are already inflict, we smug first-worlders managed to turn the whole concept of "doing the right" thing inside out. Instead of doing what's equitable, we encouraged our governments to keep on turning a blind eye to the realities of the daily life in those third-world countries, and go on using even more for ourselves.

Meanwhile, to pay for our increased use of resources, we're adding another tax to ensure our own poor will have a harder time paying for their needs.

It's all rather insane. And yet, the perpetrators can still only see themselves as the self-righteousness saviours of the planet, doing battle with the dark and sinister forces of raving right-wingers.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Veovis you said;
why should Canadians have money taken from their pockets without choice to fund Gates dreams of new energy systems?

So how do you arrive at that conclusion?

To say Gates knows everything about climate change,

Did anyone actually say that?

However people like Gates and Branson and others who part of their new coalition, are able to employ experts to aid them in their decision makers, it makes them much more credible that the deniers hereabouts.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I Think wrote:Did anyone actually say that?

You did.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I Think wrote:Who knows best about global warming, the raving right wingers hearabouts
or
Branson, Gates, Trudeau, thousands of scientists, NOAA, NASA etc.?

Gates isn't talking about climate change. But a raving nutbag left-winger hears what he wants to hear.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

you selectively use those tidbits when they are (in your mind) to your advantage

lol my people are from scotland and england if you must know . time get your bigotry straight or provide a link to where scotish folk believed in ravens : p

but the facts are why would you want anyone who believed in tales to run a country ?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

maryjane48 wrote:lol my people are from scotland and england if you must know . time get your bigotry straight or provide a link to where scotish folk believed in ravens : p

Really.

But you said this:

maryjane48 wrote: if anything i'm metis lol from the 1600s , second the goverment of canada made the treaties , third what non native will let any company or person take over or use their land without some form of compensation ?

Are you SURE what you are? Or does it change depending on the thread content?

Return to “Political Arena”