A Creator is Evident

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Poindexter
Guru

Re: A Creator is Evident

Post by Poindexter »

http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/genetics

Best let the professionals like the Smithsonian do the 'splaining.

Geneticists have come up with a variety of ways of calculating the percentages, which give different impressions about how similar chimpanzees and humans are. The 1.2% chimp-human distinction, for example, involves a measurement of only substitutions in the base building blocks of those genes that chimpanzees and humans share. A comparison of the entire genome, however, indicates that segments of DNA have also been deleted, duplicated over and over, or inserted from one part of the genome into another. When these differences are counted, there is an additional 4 to 5% distinction between the human and chimpanzee genomes.

No matter how the calculation is done, the big point still holds: humans, chimpanzees, and bonobos are more closely related to one another than either is to gorillas or any other primate. From the perspective of this powerful test of biological kinship, humans are not only related to the great apes – we are one. The DNA evidence leaves us with one of the greatest surprises in biology: the wall between human, on the one hand, and ape or animal, on the other, has been breached. The human evolutionary tree is embedded within the great apes.

This is just in relation to humans but you can find similar studies done with other species .
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I will concede that this does not disprove creationism entirely. It does not rule out the possibility that a something created the first living organism that eventually evolved into all life on earth.

But the theory of evolution itself isn't up for debate any longer and it's time that the biblical interpretation caught up.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

About 58 years ago, i remember thinking, "if there is a god, where is the evidence?' Since then I have tried in vain, to find any evidence for a god. Have discussed it with priests, rabbis, scholars, and poets, have read philosophy, psychology, science fiction etc., and still can find no evidence for the existence of either santa clause or a god.
We're lost but we're making good time.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

OREZ wrote:
Could you explain what you mean by that? How has DNA analysis proven the theory of evolution?

We are able to trace common genetics between species now and tell exactly how the species that have had their genome traced are interrelated. Maybe that's what Pointdexter meant?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Yeah that sums it up pretty well.

This video may be dry but it provides a pretty complete scientific perspective in under 10 minutes.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Poindexter ...

If you go back a little further a question arises as to whether the first bacteria evolved on earth or evolved elsewhere in the universe and "arrived" on earth via asteroids ??
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Poindexter wrote:I will concede that this does not disprove creationism entirely.

Good

Poindexter wrote:But the theory of evolution itself isn't up for debate any longer and it's time that the biblical interpretation caught up.

Where'd you get that idea? The theory of evolution has been hotly debated among scientists including evolutionary biologists and paleontologists for many years. And when you say evolution, which branch of that theory are saying is no longer up for debate? Darwin's original theory? Neo-Darwinism? Punctuated Equilibrium? Evolutionary Development Biology? Neo-Lamarkian Epigenetic Inheritance? Natural Genetic Engineering?

None of those approaches is in complete agreement, why is that if it's settled?

Ironically, one of the reasons why is because of the discovery and modern scientific study of the DNA molecule and the complexity of cell structure of which Darwin or anyone else of his era had no clue. That and the mathematical improbability of natural selection acting on random mutation being adequate to explain life in the time it has had.

And before you think that I believe that the earth is only 6000 years old or some such nonsense, let's not even go there. Forget religion, I believe that 21st century science is what will be the cause of a major re-thinking of evolution.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

OREZ wrote:Could you explain what you mean by that? How has DNA analysis proven the theory of evolution?

JLives wrote:We are able to trace common genetics between species now and tell exactly how the species that have had their genome traced are interrelated. Maybe that's what Pointdexter meant?

Sorry but that doesn't really prove evolution is correct any more than it proves that they were designed by the same intelligence, much the same as a designer of electronics for instance will use the same resistors, capacitors, or transistors in very similar to vastly different applications.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I look forward to what new discoveries we find in quantum physics but as far as evolution goes, you can put a lid on it. Muddy the waters all you want, the theory has survived rigorous examination and there is simply nothing to replace it as the logical reason there is such diversity of life on the planet.
Last edited by Poindexter on Dec 23rd, 2015, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Poindexter wrote:I look forward to what new discoveries we find in quantum physics but as far as evolution goes, you can put a lid on it. Muddy the waters all you want, the theory has survived rigorous examination and there is simply nothing to replace it as the logical reason there is such diversity of life on the planet.

There is no one theory was my point. There is no complete agreement among scientists on this. You are obviously not aware of this.

However, "put a lid on it" is consistent with what I would expect when this theory is questioned on the internet, so I will put a lid on it if you like.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To OREZ ...

I believe it fair to conclude that any difference in opinion between qualified and reputable scientists from numerous fields is in regard to the exact sequence of events that enabled the creature we call human to evolve. There is absolutely no difference of opinion as to the fact that evolution took place.

The only persons differing are now religious people who are unable to fit evolutionary reality into their mythical beliefs
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To OREZ ...

I know what scientific study from the many fields that agree with each other as to the slow evolution of numerous organs being responsible for modern humans and all other life.

I also know that there have been over 2000 religions with their own completely unproven myths about the origin of humans. One could say that religions have also "evolved" into the myths associated to each religion today.

Each to his own ...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I think the OP was really posing a philosophical question, not a scientific one. The point was that since the things we observe look like the handiwork of a designer there must be an Intelligent Designer behind it all. This is not an ignorant statement as some think it is. It is an opinion every bit as valid as the one that says looks can be deceiving. There is no more evidence that life evolved by chance than there is that God did it. No matter which way you lean, you are taking a leap of faith.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Is it possible to believe in both creation and evolution?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

One of the silly things the anti evo crowd crows is "eyes could not have just popped into being"
Of course they did not.
Some antideluvian creature had a cell that somehow could discern lightness or dark (after millions of iterations)
This cells ability allowed the creature to live a little longer and reproduce, as the familly of cells bred, the advantage allowed even more strengthening of the ability to see, happend over millions of breeding cycles over millions of years.

Start using any given antibiotic to animals, and microbes start to evolve that can survive or even feed on the antibiotic.

Evolution QED.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”