Gardening 2016: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Gardening 2016: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Lady tehMa »

Feb 20 2016 013 small.JPG

Winter Aconite!
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I can see tulips and daffs starting to poke through, and Siberian iris :sunshine:
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Archaeologists Dig Up An 800-Year-Old Native American Pot.
What They Found Inside Is Changing History

Dustin McGladrey - January 22nd, 2016

In 2008, on a dig in the First Nation’s Menominee Reservation in Wisconsin, archaeologists made a small but stunning discovery: a tiny clay pot.

Though it might not have seemed very impressive at first glimpse, this little piece of pottery was determined to be about 800 years old. And inside that pot? Something that changes how we’re looking at extinction, preservation, and food storage, as well as how humans have influenced the planet in their time on it.

It’s amazing to think that a little clay pot buried in the ground 800 years ago would still be relevant today, but it’s true! It’s actually brought an extinct species of squash that was presumed to be lost forever. Thank our Indigenous Ancestors! Even they knew what preservation meant. They knew the importance of the future, Is it not amazing that they are affecting our walks of life even to this day?

Here it is! The pot was unearthed on the Menominee Reservation in Wisconsin, where it had laid buried for the past 800 years.

squash-pot.jpg

Inside, archaeologists found a stash of seeds. The seeds were probably buried in the pot as a method of storing food supplies. They were determined to be an old, now-extinct species of squash.

squash seeds.jpg

Now, seven years after making this stunning discovery, students in Winnipeg decided to plant the 800-year-old seeds... To everyone's amazement, something grew!

squash.jpg

The squash was named Gete-okosomin. It means "Big Old Squash" in the Menominee language. Now, they're working to cultivate the squash so that it doesn't go extinct ..again. It may be just a humble squash, but it's also a symbol of First Nations' community and history, as well as a fascinating look into how amazing plants can be.

more pics:
http://www.cfweradio.ca/on-air/blogs/du ... entry/471/
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'd love to try that variety and would buy seeds no matter what the price.

Question: has anyone got their peas in yet? What is the earliest you've ever successfully planted peas here in Kelowna?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

I haven't put my peas in yet but I'm sure thinking about it. I still have snow in half the yard but that sun sure has warmed up my raised beds.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Feel free to rip me apart.....

Stupid questions but I am attempting gardening for my first time ever. My landlord can't physically take care of her raised bed so I will. But I've never gardened.

Should I throw some fertilizer or manure or something down and mix it in now?

Thinking of just the basics, tomatoes, lettuce, kale, a giant pumpkin, some herbs
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Why would anyone rip you apart?

:130: Gardening units.

Okay, I have raised beds and there are some things you might want to know. Like they dry out quicker than in ground. You will want to water more often.

A raised bed which is too wide will kill your back if you don't have a way to sit. I don't know how high yours are, but we have little sitting stool for planting, weeding and thinning. Three for the year, one is never far away. I have many raised beds mind you.

Get your lettuce in early, mid-march, it likes cool growing.

Kale likes cool growing too. Tomatoes like hot, so put them on the sunny side of the bed. Do you have a tomato preference? Glacier swears by Sun-gold for cherry tomatos and they produce like crazy.

Herbs will take over, what kind do you need? I have some freebies to give away if you want what I have.

I have parsley, it takes over if I don't get rid of some of it. Oregano self-seeds like crazy.

How big is that bed anyways?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

And don't throw in fertilyzer or manure unless you need it. More is not usually better.
And know the plants requirements when choosing a fertilyzer.
What's good for one may be very disastrous for another.
In my garden at home, I fertilize only the corn, I give it a higher nitrogen mix when it's 6 inches or so high.
I can get away without it but corns a heavy feeder and needs lots of nitrogen when growing.
:-) I had one variety that was 11 feet high last year. And gorgeous cobs.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And please share with us what that higher nitrogen mixture is Bman, we're trying corn this year.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Question : what currently is blooming in the West Kelowna area?

My bee's were bringing in loads of pollen today.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Good question! Downtown there are a few bushes in bloom (don't know the type). In my yard (Rutland) I have snowdrops and winter aconite, and the siberian iris are coming along too.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I have about 20 Snowdrops blooming and one croci.

Not much pollen here.

Question: Is it too early to move plants? I have a Trumpet Vine which is due to be moved and want to move it early March. Like, next week.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I have found moving them while they're dormant works. I did it with a peony, and they can be tricky.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Thanks for the tips!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I just saw photos of Siberian Iris blooming in the Knox area. Lots of heather is blooming out there and someone told me that Water Street area has lots of flowers blooming.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”