Gardening 2016: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Gardening 2016: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Bpeep »

It's nice to hear the woodpeckers mating sounds.
Had me my first skeeter bug today too.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Queen K wrote:I'm buying onions and shallots AGAIN to test just how much of a failure I can be at them.

I wasn't working at this place last year so I have no idea hat is going to pop us this year haha. Should be interesting to see, I was surprised to see onions .
hail Satan y'all
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Spent about 3 hours out in the yard uncovering my back bed. I love the grosso lavender, it grows out and covers/protects the bulbs nicely. I have half grown tulips happening now, and for some reason my red hot pokers seem to be doing really well.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Bman wrote:It's nice to hear the woodpeckers mating sounds.
Had me my first skeeter bug today too.

Skeeters I could do without, really.

Woodpeckers are nice, but I wish they'd stop using my air intake for the furnace as a mating drum! We don't have a large house so it tends to echo quite loudly.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You know all those birds which the naturists claim eat ants? Where are those birds when I need them? Ant season is fast approaching and I need those birds.

This is the year of the push for more landscaping and maybe but maybe getting that green house. Hmmmm, Buckerfields!

Also, I seem to have random garlic or onions coming up all over, gotta transfer those around the perimeter. Lot's of flowers to move.

I need to be independently wealthy to have the time to do everything I want and need to do.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Queen K » Today, 6:27 am

Also, I seem to have random garlic or onions coming up all over, gotta transfer those around the perimeter. Lot's of flowers to move.

How would you feel if every time you found a comfortable place to stand someone ripped you up and made you be somewhere else ?? Your plants will be very depressed from the experience, even if they are being displayed in the "Queens" Garden.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby Bman » Yesterday, 4:56 pm

It's nice to hear the woodpeckers mating sounds.

If you mean those Northern Flickers, every time I hear them drumming and yelling in the morning I always wonder if they are early risers or if they are just getting home from the night before >>>
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I got my back flower bed tidied up yesterday - 3 hours and some sore muscles later.
Before.JPG

After.JPG
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Out front I have some lovely Siberian Irises blooming

Siberian Iris - Blue.JPG

Siberian Iris - Purple.JPG
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Looking like a prime gardening day out there. Sunny, clear and unbelievable.

I need three or four huge bags of peas. My plan is to plant along the chainlink fence now that the old cedar hedge was taken out by the neighbour. I can do it now! I recall when GrammaFreddy came over and she saw my chain link, she says, "when I see a fence I want to plant climbers up it." So did I, but the ancient tree hedge thing created a few problems in doing so. Not this year. :smt045
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Queen K » 43 minutes ago

I need three or four huge bags of peas.

You could get by with far less if you took them out of the bag.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Funny Donald G. No, I need them because for a change I'm going to be planting a long a long length of chainlike fence. I want three or four varieties this time. Including snowpeas.
ok-kel

Post by ok-kel »

K. Question....
If I were to plant onions and seeds for carrots, kale, beets, celery soon....at the Barlee Rd. community garden off Springfield Rd. ......when would I need to start watering? The water doesn't get turned on there until April....?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'd water them in and keep an eye on them so as they don't dry out too long between waterings.

I have no idea when they turn their water on down there, but do you have rain buckets to catch water til they do?

I've never planted celery. Or dealt with it. I do know it takes tremendous amounts of water or else it's stringy, I think even Lady TehMa has experience with that one.

As for onions, I finally bought multipliers for the first time. They are going in today along with the peas. Oddly enough, I bought gardening type shoes, more carrot seeds then I'd ever need oh, and Telephone Pole peas, Lincoln Homesteader and snow peas. It's going to be a gorgeous day out there today.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

My problem with celery was that I didn't cover it to "blanch" it. Tasted very strong - was very similar to regular celery in texture though.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”