Atheists in the Okanagan.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
zzontar
Guru

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by zzontar »

Farmmaa wrote:I hope you are aware of the fact that they think this way because that is what fundamentalists teach and believe ??

What fundamentalists are teaching almost half of Americans that we lived with the dinosaurs?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

So the story about Adam and Eve in the Garden and their Fall...is not literal. Okay I accept that idea.

It's symbolic and not a literal story about two actual first humans created by an all-knowing, all-pwerful, all-benevolent god.
It's symbolic, right?

So why the need for redemption, forgiveness, a Saviour, baptismal washing away of the infant's 'sins', etc. These are major parts of Christianity, no?

If most or parts or the bible are only symbolic...why do you need to be saved and recruit others to the right team?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

zzontar wrote:What fundamentalists are teaching almost half of Americans that we lived with the dinosaurs?

I can guarantee it wasn't scientists.

http://creationmuseum.org/
https://arkencounter.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Ham
http://www.reasons.org/articles/how-you ... ism-part-2

Ever heard of the Duggars ? Their fundamentalist Baptist church also teaches the same things...as do many Protestant churches in the US.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

It's frightening. It really is.
If they had their way all over the mid-west and the southern states Creation 'Science' would be taught in Science classes.

Great, I can teach sex ed in your churches. :200:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Hi Healthyskeptic,

About your OP?

No meeting yet, hey?

Should I expect you to post something here?

Hmm, there aren't any Athiest Meetups near you yet

http://www.meetup.com/cities/ca/bc/kelowna/
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Donald G wrote:If those who think different than we do are not harming us, why do some of us feel the need to convince them that they are wrong and we are right ??

History has proven that almost all truth is temporary.

I think there are many reasons really Donald...and you did touch on one of them in your prior post.

I'm sure that I'm not the first atheist, nor will I be the last by a long shot, who has had to endure the whole religion/morality lecture from well meaning, but completely out of line religious folks.
Thinking that you can't possibly have morals, empathy or ethics unless the threat of being watched by some all powerful being is your choice and your right - but....it is not your right to impose those views and threats on me. And, it happens constantly.
Not just on a personal basis, but in politics, health care, education....religion tries to stick it's nose in everyone's business.
Abortion is immoral. Premarital sex is immoral. Alcohol is immoral.
Some push the moral compass to include showing your bare shoulders...or your hair and face.
God is watching...and judging.

Like I said, if that's how people choose to live their lives, fine...but keep it out of mine.

Don't try to make me swear on your bible...it would be hypocritical for me to do so.
Don't say you'll pray for me if I'm having problems....try to offer empathy and assistance instead.
Don't expect me to pray with you.
Don't tell me that I am misguided...that my life must be empty and lonely without god and Jesus with me.
Don't tell me that friends and loved ones are 'in a better place', or that your god had plans for them when they die.

So, in a nutshell....once I can be completely free from religious influence in my life....I will no longer have a problem with religions.

Except in cases where you see people you love and care about involved in some of the ..shall we say...cults...and then, I will speak up if I can see the harm that is being caused by it.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

There is an Okanagan CSI meetup group. They always have meetings in Kelowna on an evening I can's attend.

More about the CSI group. http://centreforinquiry.ca/
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Farmmaa wrote:

FYI - Comparing religion to race, gender or sexual orientation is ridiculous.
People choose to believe in and participate in religion - they are not born that way.

So how do you explain away the Jews then?
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

cliffy1 wrote:Yes, I think many christians feel persecuted. not because people go out of their way to harass them but because if you state your opinion and it differs from theirs, they take it as an attack on their beliefs. They go on about their beliefs and get upset when you do. I find that really sad.

What many don't realize is that if they had been born in a non-christian country, more than likely they would be a true believer in the religion they were born into.

So you believe people ARE 'born into' a religion. Interesting.

As a Christian what I find incredibly hypocritical is the fear that atheists and the left demonstrate when it comes to criticizing any other religion other than Christianity. As somebody said here it's 'open season' on Christians and yep it is, it's becoming a social phenomena (as well as a reality as ISIS continues to target and kill Christians all over the world).

So why don't I ever see atheists and the left criticizing Islam or Judaism? Here is why:

1) they are so brainwashed, yep there it is BRAINWASHED, the very thing you think Christians are btw - in their politically correct little worlds that they must constantly apologize for the 'poor believers of Islam'. Atheists and lefts constantly defend them, they don't just ignore them.

2) Judaism - this is an interesting one. Atheists and other leftist leaning people are actually fearful of 'coming out' against Judaism, lest they be viewed as 'anti-semites'. This seems to be changing over the last few years as they get more brazen in their criticisms of "Israel" as they like to put it, but you would be hard-pressed to see a lot of people criticizing Judaism. They want to appear 'tolerant', they want to be seen as 'politically correct', and they sure don't want to be seen as anti-semites or Nazis, so they all steer clear for the most part of outright bashing Jews. As I said that is changing somewhat but for now and the near future, it's bash the local Christians, and their beliefs. Is this what leftists call 'TOLERANCE'?
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I don't think this is a political thing. There are atheists on the left and right. In fact I think the faster growing group these days is atheists who are on the right, politically.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Farmmaa wrote:So, in a nutshell....once I can be completely free from religious influence in my life....I will no longer have a problem with religions.

But there will always be religious, political, and social groups/organizations whose influences any of us could say we would like to be completely free from.

We all have to share this planet and get along somehow, what other choice do we have? Calling each other names is not going to get us there.
Last edited by OREZ on Apr 10th, 2016, 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

pepsilover wrote:
So you believe people ARE 'born into' a religion. Interesting.

As a Christian

Why is that interesting? People usually believe whatever is indoctrinated at a young age.

You identify yourself as a Christian, at what point did you join team Jesus?
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

David Cross makes a funny point about orthodox Judaism view of his Atheism.

Was your mother's vagina Jewish? Then you are Jewish for life. (Paraphrasing his comedy act.)
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

If the Atheists are going to be having a meeting it should be on a Friday at the local church. Get in on the Christian Obsession on Fridays thing. Great bonding idea.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Healthyskeptic wrote:There is an Okanagan CSI meetup group. They always have meetings in Kelowna on an evening I can's attend.

More about the CSI group. http://centreforinquiry.ca/

Awesome!
Thank you. :D

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”