Atheists in the Okanagan.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
pepsilover
Übergod

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by pepsilover »

OREZ wrote:I don't think this is a political thing. There are atheists on the left and right. In fact I think the faster growing group these days is atheists who are on the right, politically.

OK. It may not be a political thing, or it might be. That wasn't really the point of my post though. What do you think of the rest of it?
I'm curious why you think there is a growing population of atheists among the right more than the left though. What do you base that on? Anything in particular?
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Gixxer wrote:
Why is that interesting? People usually believe whatever is indoctrinated at a young age.

You identify yourself as a Christian, at what point did you join team Jesus?

It's interesting because the previous atheist in the thread said it was NOT something people were born into, and used that point to prop up their argument. Don't you guys have a consistent credo? Or do you just make it up as you go along? :smt045

As to your insults, get in line. I have a thick skin:)
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

OREZ wrote:But there will always be religious, political, and social groups/organizations whose influences any of us could say we'd would like to be completely free from.

We all have to share this planet and get along somehow, what other choice do we have? Calling each other names is not going to get us there.

They can start by not trying to push their religious views on others.
That would be a great start.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Pepsi, I really have no clue exactly what it is you are ranting on about here.

The 'other atheist' ( BTW there are many of us here ) stated clearly that no one is born religious.
Babies do not come in to this world believing in any deity or religious world views.

Babies are, however born INTO religion.

Those are not contradictory statements.
A child born to Christian parents will be taught to be Christian.
A child born into a Muslim family will be taught the ways of Islam.
a child born into a Jewish family will be taught Jewish views and traditions.
That's how religions operate - by indoctrinating children.

No. Atheists do not share any sort of agenda, platform or 'credo'.
An atheist simply does bot believe in any gods. That's about all we have in common.
There is no atheist club.

As for your comments about atheists only 'picking on Christians'...that's pretty much the most ridiculous statement I've heard on here - which is saying a lot.
What about the Jews ???? HUH ???
What about Judaism you mean ?
Atheists don't believe in any religion ....we disbelieve all of them equally.

I feel exactly the same about any and all organized religions and any and all deity worship.
I do not single out Christianity...and neither does any other atheist or agnostic that I've ever known.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Hi again Healthyskeptic,

Belated Merry Newtonmass!

Centre For Inquiry Canada

MERRY NEWTONMASS

Branch: admin

http://centreforinquiry.ca/merry-newtonmass/

On this day many years ago, a baby was born who would grow up to change the course of human history
This December 25th marks the 373nd anniversary of the birth of Sir Isaac Newton.
Here is a Newtonmass Carol to celebrate the occasion (sung to the tune of “God Rest ye Merry, Gentlemen”):

Oh, rest ye merry, physicists
Let nothing you dismay.
Remember Isaac Newton
was born on Christmas Day!
His gravity and calculus and “f” equals “m” “a”!
Oh, pillars of physics and math, physics and math,
Oh, pillars of physics and math!

A factor of big G – the same
for flea and giant star.
Then multiply the masses
and divide by square of “r”.
The force that keeps us on the earth
and orbits moons afar!

Now, calculus is math for those
who change things bit by bit.
To figure out derivatives
and get the curve to fit.
Then integrate and you can find the area under it!

Sir Isaac took a beam of light
and passed it through some glass.
“What shall I call these colours?”
was the question he did ask.
And now we live with ROY G BIV
in every optics class.

We use 3 laws of motion to
put rockets in the sky.
The first one says inertia will
explain the reason why.
An object, stopped, won’t move unless
a motive force comes by.

The second law of motion gives us
all a balance sheet
Describing what will happen when
perchance two objects meet.
The action and reaction
Are the same and opposite

Now, when a force acts on a mass,
it will accelerate.
The third law tells us why
Our mass is not the same as weight.
And so we see that objects to each other gravitate.

Oh, rest ye merry, physicists
Let nothing you dismay.
Remember Isaac Newton
was born on Christmas Day!
His gravity and calculus and “f” equals “m” “a”!

(c) Seanna & Stephen Watson, Dec 2014. Free to use or distribute, with attribution.

Sorry you can’t make the meetings.
But :130: anyway.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

pepsilover wrote:
It's interesting because the previous atheist in the thread said it was NOT something people were born into, and used that point to prop up their argument. Don't you guys have a consistent credo? Or do you just make it up as you go along? :smt045

As to your insults, get in line. I have a thick skin:)

Ah there you go labelling me something I'm not, and at what point did I insult you? Im asking you a serious question being that you're Christian. Were you born and raised a Christian, or did you put the name of all religions in a hat and pulled out Christianity?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

They say you can't believe everything they say.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Yikes, Brad Wall!

He quotes Caesar Augustus, but has he ever read John Locke?

Canadian Centre for Inquiry
http://centreforinquiry.ca/brad-walls-c ... -complain/

Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/7370/7370-h/7370-h.htm
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

OREZ wrote:I don't think this is a political thing. There are atheists on the left and right. In fact I think the faster growing group these days is atheists who are on the right, politically.

pepsilover wrote:OK. It may not be a political thing, or it might be. That wasn't really the point of my post though. What do you think of the rest of it?
I'm curious why you think there is a growing population of atheists among the right more than the left though. What do you base that on? Anything in particular?

It's based on my own observations over the last ten years or so and supported by some things I've read. I don't have any statistics or hard data which I can link you to. It's not hard to find articles and blogs about it though. Actually, it seems to me there was a topic which touched on this on Castanet a while back.

There was a time when if you said the word "atheist" you could almost certainly assume that the person was on the left, politically and that is by no means the case anymore. I myself, am more left leaning politically if anything but I am a believer and have read the Bible for many years so this is something I've observed with great interest and I have a hunch that this trend (if I can call it that) will continue.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Here...on Castanet - we are not some organized group who share the same world views and beliefs and gather regularly to plot on how to best go about taking down religious posters.

I am aware that around the globe there are atheists who meet regularly to get some sense of community, as church does for others.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

If you meant there are no atheist clubs on Castanet you should have added "on Castanet."
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Healthyskeptic wrote:The dark ages lasted 1000 yrs. thanks to religious doctrine and evil men.
The Scientific method is relatively new.
definition: a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17 th Century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

No, science doesn't know everything. We are working on things.ie. Medicine, space, time,etc, etc.

How ironic that Christians have no problem with a God with no beginning nor originator/ cause. Hmmm.

First of all, the Dark Ages weren't as dark as many make them out to be. Many very important inventions we have today come from the Dark Ages.

Second, the Dark Ages were the result of economic poverty as a result of disease and piracy on the Mediterranean. Europeans couldn't trade by sea, so they had to use land, which was 10 times the cost. The black death did the rest.

Third, modern science stems from Christianity, not atheism.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

zzontar wrote:If you meant there are no atheist clubs on Castanet you should have added "on Castanet."

Oh good grief, does it really matter ?
I was responding to a comment directed at the atheists in this thread.....thus, answered as such.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

pepsilover wrote:So you believe people ARE 'born into' a religion. Interesting.

Why is that interesting? I was born into the catholic religion but through circumstances was able to escape. If I was born in Saudi Arabia I would have been born a Muslim and if I had subject to the same circumstances, I probably would have had my head cut off. I don't see any Muslims or Jews posting their religious beliefs on this forum, otherwise I would be challenging their beliefs as much as I do on other forums. Jews don't usually discuss their beliefs in public because they are not evangelically inclined and are not interested in converting Goyim to their faith. And for the hundredth time, just because I don't believe in your psychopathic god does not mean that I'm an atheist. I'm not.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Gixxer wrote:

Ah there you go labelling me something I'm not, and at what point did I insult you? Im asking you a serious question being that you're Christian. Were you born and raised a Christian, or did you put the name of all religions in a hat and pulled out Christianity?

LOL there you go again. You rabid atheists just can't help yourself can you? Always the insult.

It might surprise you but I'm not on trial here (you know, like Jesus was), so you don't automatically get an answer to all the questions you ask, especially when you ask rudely. I have a question for you, however. If atheists believe in nothing and nobody, where does their MORAL CODE originate? How do they know right from wrong? Are they born with it? Because it seems to me that without a belief in something that is bigger than your own collective egos, you pretty much have no direction or guidance at all in life, and what you do, is self-serving. Do you just pull your social conscience out of hat on any given day or what?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”