Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
cliffy1
Übergod

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by cliffy1 »

Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

I forgot another fact YOU can go check.
Buddha's mother, Maya, was required to go on a trip. She was on a journey back to her city of origin and went into labour. She had her baby while on Journey.

Hmmm. Where have I heard a similar story?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Lots of stories around the world have similarities even if written in isolation. There are some between Jesus and Buddha, but there are a lot more dissimilarities. As for his mother, she went to the the garden to give birth. I've seen movies where the First Nations lady gave birth on a trip. I guess must have come from the story of Jesus or Buddha. No it didn't, it's just that with music and the 8 notes, you are going to have a lot of overlapping concepts because there are only so many concepts to go around. Scholars largely agree that Jesus and Buddha were figures isolated from each other.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

pepsilover wrote:
My exact sentiments. I doubt we will see any 'evidence'. According to the Mormons he was in North America, now according to the Buddhists he was in India. It seems that all these other people, including atheists, want a piece of him (Jesus). :smt045

Mormons don't believe that Jesus was in North American when he was between 12-30 years old - they believe he cruised over here after he was resurrected.
Therefore - not relevant to the article because it was not the same time period.

Orez - Interesting, because I've never heard anyone say that there was no Jewish guy in the middle east named Jesus who taught the word of god. In fact, there were probably a few in the area.
But, it is only Christians who think he was anything more than a Jewish guy preaching about god.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Farmmaa wrote:Orez - Interesting, because I've never heard anyone say that there was no Jewish guy in the middle east named Jesus who taught the word of god.

Actually, it's very fashionable for atheists to claim that Jesus never existed. I know it's pretty stupid, since there's more mention of him than some other figures whom we commonly accept as historical and even I could probably name about 10 non-biblical references to him and/or his followers but.... oh well, whatever...
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Written 45-95 CE

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/1qarfPh
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

The good book has lots of contradictions about Jeebus.
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/number.html
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's the Skeptic's Bible. This thread originally was about the thread heading at Easter time about Religion. Thought you didn't believe in it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

The bible is myth.And it's filled with contradictions.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

But that's not the discussion but feel free to start another thread.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!!

Post by Fancy »

averagejoe wrote:Image

Don't know why the thread got hijacked but the OP posted what they thought important and it was posted in the religion thread.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

Looks like Mithras - the religion with the magic bread and wine ceremony!!
Last edited by Healthyskeptic on Apr 12th, 2016, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Not even close.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySQmbn5eqEQ
"Mysteries of Mithras" from the BBC documentary.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Egad - another youtube 22 minutes long. No thanks. This is about Easter and the rising of Christ of course.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”