Camp Fire Ban

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Camp Fire Ban

Post by Symbonite »

You know im surprised that they haven't banned campfires yet. every year its dry why take that chance.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Camp Fire Ban

Post by JLives »

Symbonite wrote:You know im surprised that they haven't banned campfires yet. every year its dry why take that chance.

My guess is right after May Long Weekend. We camped for Easter and the bush was very dry.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

To start there have been probably zero fire starts so far from campfires. The cost of a campfire ban is expensive. Posting all the 100's of signs in every zone, patrols, and enforcement. The fire hazard will come down after spring green up and then we have to take all the signage down. The higher hazards this time of year are mostly confined to the valley bottoms.

From what I see we have four active wildfires in the Kamloops Fire Center, none of them started from campfires and none over 1.5 Ha.
Even the 100's of lightning strikes only resulted in 2 lightning strike spot fires.

Much of the higher level recreation areas still have frozen lakes and snow patches.

Lastly a campfire ban this time of year is counter productive. It is mostly proposed by non campers who know not the conditions out in the bush. Most recreation camp fires are in very fire safe areas, provincial parks, rec sites or other commercial campgrounds. The majority of campers, probably 99.9 % are very responsible with not leaving their campfires unattended and completely extinguishing their campfires.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Doesn't matter about the majority - it's the minority that spoil it for everyone and can create havoc.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Cariboo fire centre has already had bans in place since April 4th on open fires above a certain size, and the Prince George fire centre has since April 20th. No place has camp fire bans, nor should they.

We won't see any bans anywhere in the province for two months because the fire danger rating is low, but more importantly, we are heading into the rainy season, and any high fire danger rating is not going to last more than a few days.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm hoping we have a couple of months of campfires before bans come into effect. Keeps the old folks up later to enjoy the little ones. LOL.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Sustained rains every 10 days to 2 weeks for entire region would go long way in keep the fire rating down. Of course that will not happen, it was good to see the rain today.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I was out a lot today and didn't get wet once :(
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Fancy wrote:I was out a lot today and didn't get wet once :(

I guess you are in a different area then myself
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

perhaps a different city
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

lol - no, could have been in a different area of the City. And on a different street - it happens.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

ya the weather was fairly erratic this afternoon rained pretty hard in my neck of the woods 5 minutes down the road no rain at all
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Hey..... rain clouds comeback you missed some area's. lol
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Just skirted us - choked. Love the rainbow on Castanet's front page.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Considering that open burning is still permitted, it'll probably be a while before campfires are banned. Seems like they wait till the last possible minute before putting prohibitions in place.

Return to “Fire Watch 2016”