Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
pepsilover
Übergod

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by pepsilover »

Healthyskeptic wrote:His journey from Pastor with tens of thousands of 'followers' in cross country evangelical events to Atheist.
https://www.amazon.ca/Farewell-God-Reas ... 0771085087

From your link:

"However, increasing doubts about the validity of the Old Testament and the teachings of the Christian church finally brought about a crisis in his faith and in 1957 he resigned from the ministry.

In Farewell to God, Templeton speaks out about his reasons for the abandonment of his faith. In straightforward language, Templeton deals with such subjects as the Creation fable, racial prejudice in the Bible, the identity of Jesus of Nazareth, Jesus’ alienation from his family, the second-class status of women in the church, the mystery of evil, the illusion that prayer works, why there is suffering and death, and the loss of faith in God.

He concludes with a positive personal statement: “I Believe.”

Looks like your 'example' isn't true. He didn't become an atheist, not according to what is written on Amazon. Sounds to me like the leftists got hold of him and he got his political beliefs mixed up with his spiritual ones.
In any event, you are wrong.

THIS part of your post was NOT from Amazon, or the link you presented, it is merely your opinion, and it's wrong, because the linked article states NOTHING about him being an atheist.

You said: "
His journey from Pastor with tens of thousands of 'followers' in cross country evangelical events to Atheist."

NOT at link, NOT from article.
Last edited by pepsilover on Apr 24th, 2016, 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

averagejoe wrote:
And your point is?????? Lots of people go from atheist to Christianity too. Works both ways.

So lets go back to your Jesus is a myth comment you are now avoiding......

The propaganda presented wasn't even true. Charles Templeton resigned from the ministry, he did not become an atheist. See above post.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I am happy for people who find comfort and meaning in their religion.
I am also happy for those who find comfort and meaning in science.
Each to their own beliefs.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Donald G wrote:I am happy for people who find comfort and meaning in their religion.
I am also happy for those who find comfort and meaning in science.
Each to their own beliefs.

Yes, each to their own, and let's not forget that many people find meaning and comfort in both.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

I've found the number one thing that annoys me about believers of any faith.
They believe their own blogs, websites, each other's opinions only and never investigate independent of their bias.

Some do. They are exChristians.

Atheism Saved My Life.

When you know that you only have one life and the childish wish of having an 'afterlife' is a lie....you take care to have a great life.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Healthyskeptic wrote:I've found the number one thing that annoys me about believers of any faith.

Guess what. The topic of this thread is not "What is the number one thing that annoys Healthyskeptic about believers of any faith"
Healthyskeptic wrote:They believe their own blogs, websites, each other's opinions only and never investigate independent of their bias.

Nobody on this forum is more guilty of that than you.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Healthyskeptic wrote:I've found the number one thing that annoys me about believers of any faith.
They believe their own blogs, websites, each other's opinions only and never investigate independent of their bias.

Now that is the ironic statement of the century from a guy who still believes Buddha was conceived by immaculate conception even though it's clearly not true for anyone who has done five minutes of independent research on immaculate conception.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Healthyskeptic wrote:
When you know that you only have one life and the childish wish of having an 'afterlife' is a lie....you take care to have a great life.

About half of Americans believe in ghosts, about one fifth say the've seen a ghost, and from an atheist website:

http://www.atheistrev.com/2010/05/athei ... hosts.html

As strange as it may initially seem, there are atheists who believe in ghosts. Since atheism refers to one's lack of belief in gods, there is nothing about the definition of atheism that makes this problematic.

That's a lot of people, including atheists, who you find childish. Seeing as ghosts are generally the ghosts of people who have died, this would be an afterlife.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Very true - Atheism is not an all encompassing non belief in everything unexplained.

It is one thing and one thing only - the lack of belief in gods.

It is not out of the question at all for an atheist to believe that there may be something past this life...it just isn't the same as a religious viewpoint of heaven or hell.

It could be that they may believe in reincarnation, that somehow our energy lives on...I'm sure the opinions are as varied as the individuals.

No one...no one - has the market on knowing for certain what happens past this life we are living now.
Anyone who says they do - is lying, either to themselves or to others.
All any of us can do is assume what might happen based on our beliefs and knowledge.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

How would an atheist scientifically explain ghosts? Did they evolve from little one-celled ghosts?
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

zzontar wrote:How would an atheist scientifically explain ghosts? Did they evolve from little one-celled ghosts?

Now that is just being snarky.
As for the OP, anybody who holds that title of Lord, as in the House of Lords, who is not dead, probably rose today.
The whole idea that someone lords over me is repugnant to me. I think the whole concept of having a Lord is a left over from feudalism and really has no place in modern society. In fact, most of the titles given to Jesus, Lord of Lords, King of Kings, etc., are titles that were held by pharaohs, another hint at the origins of the Jesus myth.
But that is just my opinion. I don't expect anyone to agree with me.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

cliffy1 wrote:Now that is just being snarky.

Not snarky at all. I'd just like to hear how one can belittle the idea of there being a very powerful spirit because there's no proof, it's a fairy tale, etc. and then say not-so-powerful spirits can exist.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

zzontar wrote:
Not snarky at all. I'd just like to hear how one can belittle the idea of there being a very powerful spirit because there's no proof, it's a fairy tale, etc. and then say not-so-powerful spirits can exist.

You won't hear it though. *removed*
Time I started posting some scripture to give some moral balance I guess. Heehee:)
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Apr 25th, 2016, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Interesting youtube video Healthy Skeptic. The guy blames BEING FAT on God. Hahahahaha! How does one who does not believe in God blame Him for something?

How about just push yourself away from the table and lock up the fridge? How about taking responsibility for being a glutton and learning to say NO to chocolate eclairs, deep fried doughnuts and such? I guess atheists don't believe in personal responsibility.

Poor God, He is blamed for everything from soup to nuts; and always by people who "don't believe in Him". Talk about messed up! lol

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”