Fire bombers deployed early

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Fire bombers deployed early

Post by fall »

Thanks, interesting info. It is BC though, I was wondering about fires in BC compared to other provinces like Alberta and Saskatchewan over the past few years.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Here you go...

(You will have to click to see legend)
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Here is one from last summer. I could not find one comparing other provinces.
Attachments
150706-canada-fires-map_8784548c35e32a9aeaf5d1793525b09a_nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Thanks, more up to date. I can honestly say I had no idea Saskatchewan had that many fires.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Barney Google wrote:Looks like we are in for another scary fire season. Meanwhile the local dollar stores are selling flying fire candles for under Two dollars. Is that stupid or what?

any stores selling these should be closed forever
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Water bombers.
Air tankers.
Scoopers.
Skimmers.

Fire bombers?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

its probably not politicly correct to use the term bomber air tanker sounds much less violent
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

In politically correct Saskatchewan they just call them bunny hugs. Sounds a lot nicer.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Airtankers, waterbombers… you guys call ‘em what you want.

At my table they are known as “aterbombersway” – sure, it’s a little harder to pronounce, but it doesn’t get the kids excited. I try not to get the kids excited… it’s just easier that way.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
spokenut

Post by spokenut »

bob vernon wrote:Water bombers.
Air tankers.
Scoopers.
Skimmers.

Fire bombers?

I don't know what one would call this, but it looks like a "Firebomber" to me.
Attachments
image.jpeg
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Flying drip torch. I was very involved with the very first flying drip torch. Developed in Williams Lake by Okanagan Helicopter and our Ranger Station for primary use at Horsefly for slash burning and burn off on wild fires. Early 1970's. The new ones are far more sophisticated. The first one was ignited from a switch that activated a spark plug to spark.

First flying drip torch.

Used for slash burning:

In that same era there was a machine that dispersed ping pong balls. They had a chemical inside of them and when punctured by the machine they were spit out of a spigot fully ignited. It sat in the back seat of the helicopter with a control technician. The pilots were not fond of it as they did not like the idea for a flaming ping pong ball that could possibly not be properly propelled out of the aircraft.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

In that same era there was a machine that dispersed ping pong balls. They had a chemical inside of them and when punctured by the machine they were spit out of a spigot fully ignited. It sat in the back seat of the helicopter with a control technician. The pilots were not fond of it as they did not like the idea for a flaming ping pong ball that could possibly not be properly propelled out of the aircraft.

Yeah, I briefly caught one of those new generation whatchamacallits while I was out and about last year. (and, then I stopped at Starbucks on the way back to the office.)

Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
spokenut

Post by spokenut »

Ok, ok....this thread has been fun, but let's get back to the OP. Can anybody out there tell me why not using the Mars In BC is a good idea. Having seen it work numerous times, it does one heck of a job at "putting the wet stuff on the red stuff." No other aterbomersway even comes close. Knowing that we have the best resources in the world would certainly help me sleep better this fire season.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

spokenut wrote:Ok, ok....this thread has been fun, but let's get back to the OP. Can anybody out there tell me why not using the Mars In BC is a good idea. Having seen it work numerous times, it does one heck of a job at "putting the wet stuff on the red stuff." No other aterbomersway even comes close. Knowing that we have the best resources in the world would certainly help me sleep better this fire season.

It's my understanding that smaller planes are statistically more efficient for fighting fires in BC.
I read somewhere that the smaller planes can service a much larger area with quicker turn around times because they can utilize smaller lakes closer to the fires where as the Martin needs big water to scoop a belly full.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I was wondering how long it would take for the Mars to show up in this year's Fire Watch sub-forum. Never fails.
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Fire Watch 2016”