Fort McMurray obliterated

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Fort McMurray obliterated

Post by Dizzy1 »

ATB Financial is supposedly helping out by deferring mortgage payments and offering financial assistance to the victims.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Dizzy1 wrote:ATB Financial is supposedly helping out by deferring mortgage payments and offering financial assistance to the victims.

Oh man, next thing you know they'll be advertising that they are helping people out. Can't have that!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Dizzy1 wrote:ATB Financial is supposedly helping out by deferring mortgage payments and offering financial assistance to the victims.

That's good news. How horrible to have to worry about covering the mortgage when you might not have a home or job to return to.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Here's good news...http://globalnews.ca/news/2681293/out-o ... 25688637=1

High Level is approximately 400 kilometres northwest of Fort McMurray. It is the northernmost place in North America warm enough to grow grain crops commercially.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

For our best friends, the four-legged kind. They mostly survive these fires, thankfully.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/pets ... ar-BBsEQ4g
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Dizzy1 wrote:Just got out of a meeting. All oil sands sites are being shut down and everyone is being evacuated starting today.

Hmmmm, what do you make of that? I've wondered from the beginning what if the fire reaches up that way.......
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

pepsilover wrote:Hmmmm, what do you make of that? I've wondered from the beginning what if the fire reaches up that way.......

The sands themselves are not very flammable, most have had the forested areas cleared away so the project sites themselves should do ok as there is very little fuel load.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Hmmmm, what do you make of that? I've wondered from the beginning what if the fire reaches up that way.......

Heard that Suncor was using their equipment to build a huge fire break around their site. The area is massive so not sure if they will get it done.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

I just googled to find out what could happen. Came upon this article.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/coul ... atch-fire/

<snip> In their natural state, the oil sands themselves aren’t particularly flammable. Bitumen has the consistency of molasses at room temperature, and is mixed with sand, making it burn at a slower pace if ignited (plus, 80 per cent of it is buried deep underground). But the same can’t be said of all the equipment and chemical processes used to extract and upgrade that bitumen into synthetic crude oil. Companies that mine and upgrade oil sands bitumen rely on massive pieces of machinery, high temperatures and high pressures to do the dirty work—producing fuels and feedstock. <snip>

more at link
Last edited by pepsilover on May 5th, 2016, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Its just a precautionary measure to ensure that all evacuees and non-essential workers are safe. The sands north of town aren't threatened as of yet.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I checked the forecast for Fort McMurray, the weather will start cooperating next week, much cooler temperatures and possibly rain. It will take a very long time to contain a fire this big, but at this point it looks like the damage has already been done. I read an article this morning that said damage from the fire will easily exceed 10 billion $ which puts it well ahead of the 1991 Oakland Hills fire (2.7 billion $) as the costliest wildfire in history.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

The wife and I have decided to give $100.00 to Red Cross mainly because we are so fortunate to have jobs, health, family and a home to live in. We are extremely lucky. We cannot begin to imagine the heartache of those in Ft Mac or those from here yrs ago. We decided to go to SPCA and take in someones pets during the Kelowna fire only to be put on alert ourselves. Fortunatley nothing happened. Justin will match my donation which means I am donating $200.00. Campfire bans should be in effect from April to November.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
ddiiaanne
Übergod

Re: General Discussion

Post by ddiiaanne »

oneh2obabe wrote:
One road out and 50,000 people all trying to leave at the same time.
Everyone is stranded and most have now run out of gas.

I have friends and family who have been delivering gas and water to motorists stranded on the highway. The situation is a lot better today.
Social media has helped so much in helping those who need help.

The town of Lac La Biche has been working day and night to help the evacuees.

Many of the camps north of Ft Mc are now also being evacuated as the fire moves north.
Doing what I can, with what I have, where I am.
ddiiaanne
Übergod

Post by ddiiaanne »

Labatts.jpg

Labatt's is now offering water from the brewery.
Doing what I can, with what I have, where I am.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

It's amazing to see an entire country come together to help those in need. No matter how far apart we are, we're all Canadians and we will always have each others backs.

Return to “Fire Watch 2016”