Atheists in the Okanagan.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Farmmaa »

zzontar wrote:
If God was here forever he could have started time and the big bang. If the universe was here forever, what started it and time?It makes more sense that an outside force started it.


It may make more sense to you because of your beliefs - that doesn't mean it makes an ounce of sense to others.

There has been nothing I've ever seen or hear to suggest that there is some sort of infinite creator and yet, there's no way that the universe can be infinite.
It's a hypocritical answer.

If the theory that one can be infinite makes sense...then the theory that either could be infinite has to be acknowledged - because there is no proof, no evidence and no way to know either way.

Perhaps the universe herself is the infinite creator.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Farmmaa »

Quailize wrote:You're right, sorry. I should have worded that better. My apologies.


Appreciated Quailize.
User avatar
Frisk
Moderator
Posts: 9319
Joined: Apr 24th, 2011, 9:32 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Frisk »

I try to believe in god because it gives me a sense of purpose. I deal with depression and sometimes it's that feeling of purpose that helps me get out of bed in the morning. Others feel differently and I respect that. I'm sorry for being arrogant.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Farmmaa »

Quailize wrote:I try to believe in god because it gives me a sense of purpose. I deal with depression and sometimes it's that feeling of purpose that helps me get out of bed in the morning. Others feel differently and I respect that. I'm sorry for being arrogant.


I understand. I've suffered from depression for several years as well...and if believing helps you, then all the best to you !
I know what a struggle it can be.
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by cliffy1 »

zzontar wrote:If God washere forever he could have started time and the big bang. If the universe was here forever, what started it and time?It makes more sense that an outside force started it.

If the Universe is infinite, then there is no beginning and no end. That is the definition of infinite. Why do you need a god to start something with no beginning?
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by zzontar »

Farmmaa » Today, 5:02 pm

zzontar wrote:

If God was here forever he could have started time and the big bang. If the universe was here forever, what started it and time?It makes more sense that an outside force started it.


It may make more sense to you because of your beliefs - that doesn't mean it makes an ounce of sense to others.


No, it makes sense to me because the big bang is like an explosion, and as far as I know, every other explosion I can think of has an explainable source or cause, and is usually instigated by change. If I see fireworks in the sky but can't see where they were launched from, I can assume they didn't occur on their own.

Seeing as this makes no sense to you, can you explain ONE other type of explosion or even movement that can occur with no source, movement, or change?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by zzontar »

cliffy1 wrote:If the Universe is infinite, then there is no beginning and no end. That is the definition of infinite. Why do you need a god to start something with no beginning?


Because to have an infinite universe with an infinite amount of stars that all expanded from one spot the size of an atom somehow seems a bit unbelievable... to me anyway.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by cliffy1 »

zzontar wrote:Because to have an infinite universe with an infinite amount of stars that all expanded from one spot the size of an atom somehow seems a bit unbelievable... to me anyway.

If the Universe is infinite, then the Big Bang is just as silly as a creator. There are trillions of stars and trillions of planets. We are on one tiny, insignificant spec of dust in all that. What makes you think that, if there is a god, it really cares what you think or believe?
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Farmmaa »

zzontar wrote:
No, it makes sense to me because the big bang is like an explosion, and as far as I know, every other explosion I can think of has an explainable source or cause, and is usually instigated by change. If I see fireworks in the sky but can't see where they were launched from, I can assume they didn't occur on their own.

Seeing as this makes no sense to you, can you explain ONE other type of explosion or even movement that can occur with no source, movement, or change?


Did I ever say that I believe that the entire universe began with one explosion ?
That the only possible explanation is the Big Bang Theory ??

I think you're confusing those who don't believe in god with some sort of scientific cult who all believe in the exact same scientific theories and concepts and all agree on how time and the universe began.
We don't.
I don't have the answers and have never claimed to...I'm Ok with - I don't know exactly what occurred billions of years ago.

You are attempting to apply a concept that occurred so long ago that no one can ever be sure what conditions were like, what was or wasn't possible, whether energy was always infinite or if it was sparked by some unknown force.
Scientists are trying to come up with answers...but there is no sure fire definitive conclusion as of yet.

That all makes a whole lot more sense to me than...well...we don't understand any of that so, you know - god.
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by cliffy1 »

If the Universe is infinite then there is the possibility that there are infinite possibilities. I find it hard to imagine that people can only come up with two. Native people refer to the concept of Creator as the Great Mystery; it is incomprehensible to our finite minds.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by zzontar »

cliffy1 wrote:If the Universe is infinite, then the Big Bang is just as silly as a creator. There are trillions of stars and trillions of planets. We are on one tiny, insignificant spec of dust in all that. What makes you think that, if there is a god, it really cares what you think or believe?


Perhaps we're all part of the same consciousness, I can't say. You say the big bang and a creator are both silly, I guess you have your own theory, which of course is the one that's not silly.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by zzontar »

Farmmaa wrote:
Did I ever say that I believe that the entire universe began with one explosion ?
That the only possible explanation is the Big Bang Theory ??



No, you have no explanation or beliefs other than you don't believe anyone's explanation.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
OREZ
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by OREZ »

Removed by OREZ just because.
Last edited by OREZ on May 14th, 2016, 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by cliffy1 »

zzontar wrote:Perhaps we're all part of the same consciousness, I can't say. You say the big bang and a creator are both silly, I guess you have your own theory, which of course is the one that's not silly.

Of course it is not silly to me but then I don't expect anybody else to agree with me. I don't even want them too. I would much prefer they do their own research and come up with something of their own instead of letting someone else tell them what to believe.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 40649
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Glacier »

Farmmaa wrote:In your opinion god is the most plausible explanation.

God is the most plausible answer because it's to only attempted answer given so far. Come up with another theory, and I'm all ears.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”