Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
zzontar
Guru

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by zzontar »

Farmmaa wrote:

And yet....they didn't continue raping and plundering without a Christian god.
( although 1000 years ago, Christians were also raping and plundering their way across the world ).

Are you saying Vikings didn't rape and pillage except through Christianity? Any links or proof?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

zzontar wrote:
Are you saying Vikings didn't rape and pillage except through Christianity? Any links or proof?

Yes thats exactly what he's saying.

Do you ever read your questions before hitting the submit button?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Gixxer wrote:Yes thats exactly what he's saying.

Do you ever read your questions before hitting the submit button?

This is what was said:

It took more than 500 years of invasions and Christian rule for most Scandinavians to 'embrace' Christianity.....and even at that, these remain some the least religious countries in the world. In fact, 8 out of 10 Swedes either consider themselves non religious or atheist.
And yet....they didn't continue raping and plundering without a Christian god.
( although 1000 years ago, Christians were also raping and plundering their way across the world ).

Sorry, I took that as meaning they didn't rape and plunder without a Christian God
They say you can't believe everything they say.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Farmmaa wrote:It is nothing more than people researching and understanding their past and the ways of their ancestors - much like the indigenous peoples of North America are embracing their past traditions....traditions that were all stripped away simply because Christians didn't understand them.

Precisely.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

OREZ wrote:The title of this thread is somewhat misleading.

When you say that Iceland is "officially" worshipping Norse gods again it carries with it the inference that the worshipping of Norse gods is now the official state position.

I agree with you.

I think the only "offical" part is that they were given permission to construct some sort of norse god worshipping temple. It would be just as valid to say that "the USA is officially engaged in witchcraft again" because wikkens were given permission to set up a worship spot. Or satanists, or whatever one wishes to apply.....

There are probably about the same number of people worshipping norse gods in Iceland today as there were 2 years ago. There is nothing official about it and it is simply an attention grabbing title that is somewhat meaningless.

They also have a certain percentage of the population that believes in "elves"..........according to some sort of study a while back. But I wouldn't take that too seriously either. They are a highly educated people and very progressive. They are not fundamentalists or conservative in their christianity and tend not to flaunt it.
The Norse god worshippers are probably about in the same number as our folks here that get together and dress up for their medieval activities.....just a notional comment and I have no stats to back it up, though, other than personal observation.
You and 71 others Like this post
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Actually, Iceland is far behind Canada in this regard. We allowed our indigenous people the right to practice their spiritual ceremonies in the 1960s. I don't see them running around slaughtering each other with impunity nor did it set them back 1000 years?
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

zzontar wrote:Are you saying Vikings didn't rape and pillage except through Christianity? Any links or proof?

Pretty much the exact opposite actually.

Even though they did not believe in a Christian god...they did not continue to rape and plunder.
Thus...it was NOT being forced into Christianity that ended that era of the Viking raids.

The times simply changed, and the Vikings changed with them.

Proof ??

Uh...when was the last time you witnessed a Viking raid ?
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Raping and pillaging? Viking conquests were more like 'romantic breaks': DNA reveals warriors brought their women when raiding British Isles

DNA evidence suggests women accompanied men on raiding trips
Study hints men were family-orientated and children may have come too
Women played helped to establish new settlements, trade and had children
Study questions stereotype of raping and pillaging warriors
Experts from University of Oslo say that male warriors didn’t collect female slaves on the way from Ireland, as previously suggested

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2865229/Raping-pillaging-Viking-conquests-like-romantic-breaks-DNA-reveals-warriors-brought-women-raiding-British-Isles.html#ixzz49AMcne8F
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

cliffy1 wrote:Actually, Iceland is far behind Canada in this regard. We allowed our indigenous people the right to practice their spiritual ceremonies in the 1960s. I don't see them running around slaughtering each other with impunity nor did it set them back 1000 years?

And who are the indigenous people of Iceland?
How is Canada ahead?
Who was set back 1000 yrs?
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

LANDM wrote:And who are the indigenous people of Iceland?
How is Canada ahead?
Who was set back 1000 yrs?

Vikings

by 60 years.

Glacier said that going back to the old gods would set the Icelanders back 1000 years.
Last edited by Frisk on May 19th, 2016, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed edited quote
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Iceland has an extremely genealogical consistent group of people compared to most nations due to its isolation and does not have a separate "indigenous" group. Their tracking of such genealogical history is better than any other country. Virtually the entire population is their indigenous group, if you want to look at it accurately.
And yes, I know this because of my Icelandic heritage and have tracked, accurately, my ancestors to the initial settling of Iceland and prior to that. You can find, very precisely and with only a few mouse clicks, how everyone is related to one another. It is neither special nor difficult.

There was no disallowing of any spiritual ceremonies prior to this, in semi-modern times, so there is no 60 'year lag compared to Canada. My "indigenous" relatives there are, and were, free to engage in whatever spiritual ceremonies they wished for far longer than 60 years. However, Christianity has been the prevailing religion, but in a very non-bible-thumping way.

They aren't going back to the old gods en masse so nobody is being set back 1000 years. There is no "official" worship of Norse gods in Iceland regardless of the title of the OP's article.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Yep...those darn heathens and all of their raping....if only they had found god .

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... zen-years/

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... -hospital/
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Canadians are peaceful, but I can think of a few dozen that have raped and murdered people. Atheists think that this shows Canadians aren't peaceful or something.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Farmmaa wrote:Yep...those darn heathens and all of their raping....if only they had found god .

Which god? (with the lower case "g")? Whose god? Does god really need to be found? Is he lost and wants to be found? Is god in the head, heart, soul, or mind, of those that have found him/her?

So many people and so many gods on this planet, how do I chose the right one?
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I wonder how many of the people posting about raping and pillaging are giving their own unconfirmed version of history ?? Wars took place. Raids took place. Ideologies differed markedly.

Is there some written history that identifies who did what to who and who abstained from debauchery ??

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”