Human / Religious origins

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Christianity

Post by Hmmm »

If one were to study the flow of religions and teachings, it will become very clear which is the true religion. I'm being vague because its such a deep subject and one post cannot come to close to talking about it. Museums, archeology and ancient history hold the key. Human civilizations do in fact have a starting point. I will give the beginning point. Babylon.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Hmmm wrote:If one were to study the flow of religions and teachings, it will become very clear which is the true religion. I'm being vague because its such a deep subject and one post cannot come to close to talking about it. Museums, archeology and ancient history hold the key. Human civilizations do in fact have a starting point. I will give the beginning point. Babylon.

And, which of the more than 45,000 different denominations of that one religion happens to be the one true church ?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Nice. I'm not giving you the koles notes. Seek and you will find grasshopper. Btw the 10's of thousands of years is the myth. There is no reliabl, without a doubt proof at all, that mankind has been around that long. Everything dating back that long ago is a subject of great debate and speculation.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Hmmm wrote:Nice. I'm not giving you the koles notes. Seek and you will find grasshopper. Btw the 10's of thousands of years is the myth. There is no reliabl, without a doubt proof at all, that mankind has been around that long. Everything dating back that long ago is a subject of great debate and speculation.

You're right, there is no point at all in trying to converse with someone who dispels anything that is not contained in the bible.

I will continue to learn from science, historical evidence, anthropology, paleontology, physical evidence, archeology, DNA studies...instead of a 2,000 year old book.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Hmmm wrote:Nice. I'm not giving you the koles notes. Seek and you will find grasshopper. Btw the 10's of thousands of years is the myth. There is no reliabl, without a doubt proof at all, that mankind has been around that long. Everything dating back that long ago is a subject of great debate and speculation.

Ummm! Yes there is proof. Humans have been around for tens of thousands of years. The bible is not anywhere near a reliable source of science or history. And as far as as middle eastern history, religion started with the Sumerians and Egyptians, not Babylon. China was civilized long before the middle east. There were civilizations in the Americas before the middle east. And there are civilizations that are now under water that existed during the last ice age.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Hmmm wrote:If one were to study the flow of religions and teachings, it will become very clear which is the true religion. I'm being vague because its such a deep subject and one post cannot come to close to talking about it. Museums, archeology and ancient history hold the key. Human civilizations do in fact have a starting point. I will give the beginning point. Babylon.

I'm sorry but where in here does it say I get all my info from the bible? IT DOESNT
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

It s only a subject of debate among Christian fringe groups who believe the world is only 4 - 6 thousand years old. That silliness has been debunked to the satisfaction of just about everybody else on the planet.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

cliffy1 wrote:It s only a subject of debate among Christian fringe groups who believe the world is only 4 - 6 thousand years old. That silliness has been debunked to the satisfaction of just about everybody else on the planet.

I also NEVER SAID the world is that old. Man, you guys read into stuff. [Removed] There a huge difference with how old the world is and how old civilizations are. Now go back and reread what I just wrote, stop, think and then comment. Sorry to be like that, but everything I say, you turn around and assume what I mean. I actually mean what I wrote and I'm not hinting, so no need to try and think about what I really mean.
Last edited by Frisk on May 22nd, 2016, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Provoking comment removed
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Hmmm wrote:I also NEVER SAID the world is that old. Man, you guys read into stuff. [Removed] There a huge difference with how old the world is and how old civilizations are. Now go back and reread what I just wrote, stop, think and then comment. Sorry to be like that, but everything I say, you turn around and assume what I mean. I actually mean what I wrote and I'm not hinting, so no need to try and think about what I really mean.

No, you are intentionally being vague and leaving it open to interpretation. I've done over 50 years of study on religions, history, archaeology and many other subjects, and there is no debate about the age of humans and civilizations. Why don't you just tell us what you are hiding and let us see if you know what you are hinting that you know.
Frisk
Guru

Human / Religious origins

Post by Frisk »

New thread for those discussing this topic in the Christianity thread. I'll move those posts over to here.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Human / Religious origins

Post by Farmmaa »

Not only is there undeniable evidence of humans and civilizations tens of thousands of years ago, there is proof of mass ceremonial burials sites from 13,000 BCE....which would indicate that those civilizations were already practicing organized rituals for their deceased.

There is also proof of organized religion 10,000 years ago, with the discovery of Gobekli Tepe - so far the oldest human made place of worship that has been unearthed. It is dated to at least 9130 BCE.

Kid of puts a kink in your theory of Babylon being the origin of human civilization.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Hmmm

Care to explain Gobekli Tepe?
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Gixxer wrote:Hmmm

Care to explain Gobekli Tepe?

http://gobeklitepe.info/

Welcome to the presentation of the The World’s First Temple, Gobeklitepe … a pre-historic site, about 15 km away from the city of Sanliurfa, Southeastern Turkiye. What makes Gobeklitepe unique in its class is the date it was built, which is roughly twelve thousand years ago, circa 10,000 BC.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gobekli-tepe-the-worlds-first-temple-83613665/?no-ist

Predating Stonehenge by 6,000 years, Turkey's stunning Gobekli Tepe upends the conventional view of the rise of civilization
Last edited by cliffy1 on May 23rd, 2016, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

cliffy1 wrote:
Welcome to the presentation of the The World’s First Temple, Gobeklitepe … a pre-historic site, about 15 km away from the city of Sanliurfa, Southeastern Turkiye. What makes Gobeklitepe unique in its class is the date it was built, which is roughly twelve thousand years ago, circa 10,000 BC.

I really wanted Hmmm's response.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Gixxer wrote:I really wanted Hmmm's response.

I'm not a mind reader. Now he/she has something concrete to respond to.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”