Christianity

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4847
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Christianity

Post by Gixxer »

A few questions to Christian believers.

1. What made you choose Christianity?

2. Did your parents pick Christianity for you as a young child?

3. Why is Christianity the only religion to believe, and all other religions are wrong?
Last edited by Gixxer on May 9th, 2016, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Team Jesus

Post by cliffy1 »

Jesus wasn't such a bad dude (if he actually existed). He taught some pretty good stuff. His supposed followers, however, not so much. Most Christians I have met follow the nonsense Paul taught, which is in conflict with the teachings of Jesus, thus I call most of them Paulianists (which sounds like a nice double entendre). I find it interesting that those on here are adamant that they are demanding nothing of you while demanding your respect.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
ferri
Forum Administrator
Posts: 55133
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 3:21 pm

Re: Team Jesus

Post by ferri »

before we go any farther with this i suggest you read what Team Jo said in her scripture:

Jo wrote:An old saying has it that you should never discuss religion or politics in polite company. There's a reason for the sentiment: things get hot in a hurry.

Two things I see happening in the religious threads: 1) one-liner childish schoolyard taunts that are pointless and disruptive, and 2) certain members who seem to have an insta-mantra that they whip out and use in every single thread.

I want the threads to be clear of the above. Religious issues need to be discussed in reasonable debate-like style. Make your point, don't make it an attack, and stop with the nonsensical one-liners (the latter will be deleted without comment).

To all: You hold the solution in hand: the Report Button. Use the feature judiciously, but do use it.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
LoveLife2
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Jul 5th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Re: Christianity

Post by LoveLife2 »

Hi Gixxer.

Not sure why Ferri posted their concerns about your topic.

What you're asking seems quite reasonable to me.

1) I tried many other things, but Christianity was the only thing that truly satisfied me and worked.

2) My Mom became a Christian when I was 15, and yes, she wanted all of us to becomes Christians. But I rebelled against God for 5 years before submitting to Jesus.

3) Christianity is the only true religion from our Creator. All other religions are manmade.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4847
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Christianity

Post by Gixxer »

LoveLife2 wrote:Hi Gixxer.

Not sure why Ferri posted their concerns about your topic.

What you're asking seems quite reasonable to me.

1) I tried many other things, but Christianity was the only thing that truly satisfied me and worked.

2) My Mom became a Christian when I was 15, and yes, she wanted all of us to becomes Christians. But I rebelled against God for 5 years before submitting to Jesus.

3) Christianity is the only true religion from our Creator. All other religions are manmade.


Thank you for your open and honest response.

When you said other things, what other things did you try, or did you try other religions before choosing christanity?

How long have you been practicing Christianity??

Do you feel your life would be worse if you didnt believe in a creator?

Would you believe christanity is the right religion if you were born in a country like India, Thailand, or Afghanistan?
Last edited by Gixxer on May 22nd, 2016, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Christianity

Post by cliffy1 »

LoveLife2 wrote:1) I tried many other things, but Christianity was the only thing that truly satisfied me and worked.

2) My Mom became a Christian when I was 15, and yes, she wanted all of us to becomes Christians. But I rebelled against God for 5 years before submitting to Jesus.

3) Christianity is the only true religion from our Creator. All other religions are manmade.

How do you reconcile the fact that for tens of thousands of years, people all over the globe, who had never heard of the god of Abraham, had a deep connection to their creator? Humans have been around for a whole lot longer than Christianity and Christianity came out of the Jewish religion. I fail to see how you can say it is the only true religion when it is a relative new comer to the scene. If god was truly a loving and compassionate god, would it not have given its word to all people, in all geographic locations through all historical time frames? If not, then it can't be a loving creator.

I have met hundreds of people who profess different faiths. All have gone through the process of denial, seeking and finding a truth that resonates with them. They all seemed to come to their truth through the same processes but seem to have arrived at different places. I find it very difficult to imaging that they were all misguided and you were not. Perhaps the answer is something else. Perhaps each found, and this applies equally to atheists, a truth that is tailor made to their personal needs.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Christianity

Post by Farmmaa »

LoveLife2 wrote:
3) Christianity is the only true religion from our Creator. All other religions are manmade.


This statement is one of the things that I will just never be able to understand.
How can any believer possibly claim that their religion is the only true religion and all others that came before or after are simply man made ?
How can all religions make the exact same claim ?
Which form of Christianity is the one true religion ?
Christianity is Judaism with one main character added to the mix...up until 2,000 years ago, the origins of the religions are shared, therefore, did god not create Judaism ? After all, Jesus himself was a Jew. So did he follow and teach a false, man made religion for 30 years ?

How is it that god allowed mankind to follow false religions for tens of thousands of years before Christianity came along ?
Why did god present himself as Allah and tell Muslims that their religion was the one true religion ?

In a world in which billions of people all claim to know that their religion is the one true religion, how can you justify your statement ?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4847
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Christianity

Post by Gixxer »

Well this got derailed fast.

My intent of starting this thread was to get an insight into those that have chosen Christianity as their god, and religion.
User avatar
Frisk
Guru
Posts: 9097
Joined: Apr 24th, 2011, 9:32 am

Re: Christianity

Post by Frisk »

Gixxer wrote:Well this got derailed fast.


These types of threads usually do that. Please start a new thread if you'd like to discuss human / religious origins.
User avatar
ferri
Forum Administrator
Posts: 55133
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 3:21 pm

Re: Christianity

Post by ferri »

*okay, i've cleaned up this thread by request of the original poster, please stay on topic. thanks! :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
LoveLife2
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Jul 5th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Re: Christianity

Post by LoveLife2 »

Gixxer, well, I was exposed to Xianity when I was 15, and I became a Xian when I was 20. My Mom was a Catholic, but not a Xian, and my Dad was a backsliden Catholic who became an atheist. So I had those influences, neither of which answered my questions or gave me any satisfaction in life.

I also tried partying, booze, drugs, sex, science, Satanism. I looked at Judaism, Buddhism, etc., but they didn't have Jesus, Who was of major interest to me, so I had to really look at Xianity.
-
I've been a Xian for 34 years.
-
Yes, my life would be worse without a belief in our Creator.
-
Yes, Xianity is the right religion for any human being, because it is the one true religion. There are many Xians in India, Thailand and Afghanistan. I have friends who have been missionaries to those places, and/or have lived there.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4847
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Christianity

Post by Gixxer »

LoveLife2 wrote:Gixxer, well, I was exposed to Xianity when I was 15, and I became a Xian when I was 20. My Mom was a Catholic, but not a Xian, and my Dad was a backsliden Catholic who became an atheist. So I had those influences, neither of which answered my questions or gave me any satisfaction in life.

I also tried partying, booze, drugs, sex, science, Satanism. I looked at Judaism, Buddhism, etc., but they didn't have Jesus, Who was of major interest to me, so I had to really look at Xianity.
-
I've been a Xian for 34 years.
-
Yes, my life would be worse without a belief in our Creator.
-
Yes, Xianity is the right religion for any human being, because it is the one true religion. There are many Xians in India, Thailand and Afghanistan. I have friends who have been missionaries to those places, and/or have lived there.


Partying, booze, drugs, and sex. Would it be a fair to assume that you found god by hitting rock bottom, and it was part of your sobriety?
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Christianity

Post by Farmmaa »

LoveLife2 wrote:-
Yes, Xianity is the right religion for any human being, because it is the one true religion. There are many Xians in India, Thailand and Afghanistan. I have friends who have been missionaries to those places, and/or have lived there.


You keep saying this as though it is some sort of proven fact....but exactly what facts can you back that statement up with ?
What makes your religion any more credible or true than any others ?
What makes one branch of Christianity any more true than the 40,000+ other branches ?

BTW - Most die hard Christians take offense to those who take the Christ out of words like Christian and Christmas and replace them with an X.
LoveLife2
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Jul 5th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Re: Christianity

Post by LoveLife2 »

Gixxer wrote:[quote="Partying, booze, drugs, and sex. Would it be a fair to assume that you found god by hitting rock bottom, and it was part of your sobriety?


Hi Gixxer, I was aware of God since I was a child, but not aware of the significance of Jesus.

I went through a lot of ups and downs til I was 20, all the while questioning God.

The only way I got sober and rational, was by submitting to Jesus.

Finding God was a process.
User avatar
sobrohusfat
Guru
Posts: 5843
Joined: Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:42 am

Re: Christianity

Post by sobrohusfat »

Gixxer wrote:A few questions to Christian believers.

1. What made you choose Christianity?

What Jesus proposes as the way for us to live (dying to self (huh?)- loving our enemy (what?)- forgiving those who seriously wrong us (how's that?)...etc) are all nice ideas but make no sense in the face of reality in this seething sh*t-hole of a world full of every conceivable evil. Most of what he expects from us is illogical and really goes against every fibre of our "human nature". So, his words are to be dismissed as sweet notions but impossible foolishness ...or he is actually who he says he is and there is much more to this existence than what we see and experience around us. One day I chose to believe in more.

2. Did your parents pick Christianity for you as a young child?

No - dad was into native stuff (but wasn't around) and mom was into every kind of New-Age feel-good thing that she could dabble in. I always saw myself as a decent sort of human being and therefore had nothing but contempt for religious people. i saw them as either weak fools or manipulative hypocrites - and the twisted history of religions sickened me - but after meeting a number of individuals that didn't fit the stereotype i had established in my mind (these were solid people that i came to respect - in no way religious flakes) and after hearing some of the bizarre and amazing stories of how God/Jesus had been actively involved in their life, something didn't add-up. So, after 30 successful years of fun and debauchery I decided to take a look for myself, set aside my ingrained prejudices and opened a bible to where it started talking about this Jesus.

3. Why is Christianity the only religion to believe, and all other religions are wrong?

religion? meh - Lots of different things/beliefs/social networks can make you feel good/better - but to discover what this whole show is really all about, to not only believe in His existence but to experience His presence - what a world altering rush.

It's been quite an adventure since i chose to humble myself and "trust in The Lord without leaning on my own understanding" but this has in no way made life easier - on the contrary so, word of warning - this is not for the frail - you will face having to struggle through serious battles like never before.

...cause it's the real deal - He is the Messiah - the "True Light of the world" and the darkness in this world hates every bit of it.


Last edited by sobrohusfat on May 23rd, 2016, 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”