Human / Religious origins

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Human / Religious origins

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on May 27th, 2016, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post without the insults.
is winter over
Fledgling

Post by is winter over »

averagejoe wrote:Looks like a monkey to me?

Please send the weekend educating yourself.

http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

is winter over wrote:Please send the weekend educating yourself.

You can't expect anyone to believe that The Smithsonian, National Geographic, anthropologists, paleontologists, genealogists, archeologists , governments and educational institutions know as much as the bible.
I mean really...it's a book - written by various men almost 2,000 years ago from tales passed down from one man to the next - years, even centuries after the events supposedly took place. What more proof do you need ??? :132:
annexi
Board Meister

Re: Christianity

Post by annexi »

Hmmm wrote:If one were to study the flow of religions and teachings, it will become very clear which is the true religion. I'm being vague because its such a deep subject and one post cannot come to close to talking about it. Museums, archeology and ancient history hold the key. Human civilizations do in fact have a starting point. I will give the beginning point. Babylon.

Babylon is a city in modern day Iraq right? It's written history from 1750 BCE. Why is it so special except if viewed through the lens of Christianity? Does Hinduism have anything to say about Babylon? Buddhism? Islam? (well possibly since it's so closely related to Christianity). The truth will more likely be found by comparative studies than study from one perspective.

Personally I can't believe the idea of 'one true religion' because religion comes from the mind of man, which we all know to be fallible. I suspect truth can be found in all religions, as can fallacies. I recently read a book saying that we must learn inclusive thinking ie. at the level of human race rather than exclusive thinking ie. at the level of religion, if we are to find peace.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

averagejoe wrote:Looks like a monkey to me?

is winter over wrote:Please send the weekend educating yourself.

Thank you! :D

And please spend the weekend educating yourself too! :130:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/bible/gen ... is_en.html
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Farmmaa wrote:You can't expect anyone to believe that The Smithsonian, National Geographic, anthropologists, paleontologists, genealogists, archeologists , governments and educational institutions know as much as the bible.
I mean really...it's a book - written by various men almost 2,000 years ago from tales passed down from one man to the next - years, even centuries after the events supposedly took place. What more proof do you need ??? :132:

Maybe you should read the Bible, it might just educate you too...Best selling book ever!

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... n-fiction/
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Do these mysterious stones mark the site of the Garden of Eden?

For the old Kurdish shepherd, it was just another burning hot day in the rolling plains of eastern Turkey. Following his flock over the arid hillsides, he passed the single mulberry tree, which the locals regarded as 'sacred'. The bells on his sheep tinkled in the stillness. Then he spotted something. Crouching down, he brushed away the dust, and exposed a strange, large, oblong stone.
The man looked left and right: there were similar stone rectangles, peeping from the sands. Calling his dog to heel, the shepherd resolved to inform someone of his finds when he got back to the village. Maybe the stones were important.
They certainly were important. The solitary Kurdish man, on that summer's day in 1994, had made the greatest archaeological discovery in 50 years. Others would say he'd made the greatest archaeological discovery ever: a site that has revolutionised the way we look at human history, the origin of religion - and perhaps even the truth behind the Garden of Eden.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z49v373jIF

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

"And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed" (Genesis 2:8). Then the majestic words become quite specific: "And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads. The name of the first is Pison: that is it which compasseth the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold; And the gold of that land is good: there is bdellium and the onyx stone. And the name of the second river is Gihon: the same is it that compasseth the whole land of Ethiopia. And the name of the third river is Hiddekel [Tigris]: that is it which goeth toward the east of Assyria. And the fourth river is Euphrates" (Genesis 2:10-14).

annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

averagejoe wrote:Image

Do these mysterious stones mark the site of the Garden of Eden?

For the old Kurdish shepherd, it was just another burning hot day in the rolling plains of eastern Turkey. Following his flock over the arid hillsides, he passed the single mulberry tree, which the locals regarded as 'sacred'. The bells on his sheep tinkled in the stillness. Then he spotted something. Crouching down, he brushed away the dust, and exposed a strange, large, oblong stone.
The man looked left and right: there were similar stone rectangles, peeping from the sands. Calling his dog to heel, the shepherd resolved to inform someone of his finds when he got back to the village. Maybe the stones were important.
They certainly were important. The solitary Kurdish man, on that summer's day in 1994, had made the greatest archaeological discovery in 50 years. Others would say he'd made the greatest archaeological discovery ever: a site that has revolutionised the way we look at human history, the origin of religion - and perhaps even the truth behind the Garden of Eden.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z49v373jIF

Do you think this is evidence of the supremacy of Christian belief over other belief systems?
is winter over
Fledgling

Post by is winter over »

averagejoe wrote:
And please spend the weekend educating yourself too! :130:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/bible/gen ... is_en.html

Thank you but I have several bibles in my home, my favorite is the Brick bible (your Grand kids will /would love it) . My wife was a Christian and thought it would be a good idea for the family to actually read the bible, so our family did ( MacArthur Study Bible). So why should I believe the supernatural claims in the bible?
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

annexi wrote: Do you think this is evidence of the supremacy of Christian belief over other belief systems?

First Commandment...

1) You shall have no other gods before Me.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

is winter over wrote: So why should I believe the supernatural claims in the bible?

My question to you is, Why not? Jesus rose people from the dead and other miracles and ended up with creating the Western Christian Civilization and spread Christianity around the world! Not bad!

is winter over
Fledgling

Post by is winter over »

averagejoe wrote:My question to you is, Why not? Jesus rose people from the dead and other miracles and ended up with creating the Western Christian Civilization and spread Christianity around the world! Not bad!

Why not? Because this is a claim from a book, why should I believe it? How do you know this to be true that people rose from the dead, other then stories simply written in a book?
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

averagejoe wrote:
First Commandment...

1) You shall have no other gods before Me.

Islam and Judaism also embrace this as fact, don't they?
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

averagejoe wrote:My question to you is, Why not? Jesus rose people from the dead and other miracles and ended up with creating the Western Christian Civilization and spread Christianity around the world! Not bad!

is winter over wrote:Why not? Because this is a claim from a book, why should I believe it? How do you know this to be true that people rose from the dead, other then stories simply written in a book?

Well I'm really glad you asked....Lets look a Lazarus.

The Death of Lazarus

John 11

1 Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. 2 (This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair.) 3 So the sisters sent word to Jesus, “Lord, the one you love is sick.”

4 When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.” 5 Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. 6 So when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days, 7 and then he said to his disciples, “Let us go back to Judea.”

11 After he had said this, he went on to tell them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.”

12 His disciples replied, “Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better.”

13 Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.

14 So then he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead, 15 and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.”

Jesus Comforts the Sisters of Lazarus

17 On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days. 18 Now Bethany was less than two miles from Jerusalem, 19 and many Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them in the loss of their brother. 20 When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home.

21 “Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.”

23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”

24 Martha answered, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

27 “Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

[b]Jesus Raises Lazarus From the Dead

38 Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. 39 “Take away the stone,” he said.

“But, Lord,” said Martha, the sister of the dead man, “by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days.”

40 Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?”

41 So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42 I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”

43 When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” 44 The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face.
Last edited by averagejoe on May 27th, 2016, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”