Religion and society

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Frisk
Guru

Religion and society

Post by Frisk »

I've been thinking about this question all day. Do we / did we need religion to build a moral society?
cliffy1
Übergod

Re: Religion and society

Post by cliffy1 »

Frisk wrote:I've been thinking about this question all day. Do we / did we need religion to build a moral society?

No. But those who thought they would like to control the growing populations that resulted from the advent of agriculture thought it was a good idea. We are born with an innate sense of right and wrong and morality is not about right and wrong, it is about judgement and punishment for not obeying orders handed down from above. Those clever little controlling rascals added the divine part to give it added punch and to justify their abuses.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

exactly it was at first just people having faith in something and ended up as a tool for control .
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:exactly it was at first just people having faith in something and ended up as a tool for control .

Religion is a product of civilization. Tribal societies, hunter gatherers, didn't have religion. Mainly, they had great respect for all life.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Frisk wrote:I've been thinking about this question all day. Do we / did we need religion to build a moral society?

No the world would be a better place if there was so no such thing as religion, and Instead have a global moral/ethics code.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

No, morality is a product of the memetic evolution of tribal living. It was a part of us long before we invented religion.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

Great question.
First the 'do we' need part... I think that today religion as a whole prevents full morality of society.

Did we once need religion to build moral society? Maybe. There are some good things in the religions I know eg. Christian kindness to others or Buddhist mindfulness. Even in my understanding of Islam, there are rules built in to mitigate the evils that existed in that time. So likely overall I'd say religion hasn't been a bad thing & it has improved the lot of humanity.

The interesting part of your question to me is how to build a moral society today. I read a book suggesting 'legislated morality'. Can a moral society be legislated? The book said the key to such an endeavour is a minimal number of rules. The more rules there are, the further we would be straying from what is true and good.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Morals are born of empathy, trustworthiness, compassion...all human characteristics.
Religion not necessary

13232893_1360000507349359_9082606676258135277_n.jpg
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Mark Twain.jpg

Smart man. His book "letters From Earth" was an amazing read. It started me questioning everything. Allan Watts pointed to a trail that I ended up starting down. That trail has had many twists and turn, some detours and derailments, but it is the only path that I could have followed. Everybody needs to find their own path; the one less traveled. In the end, it doesn't matter how you got home, it only matters that you did. Following someone else's path will get you nowhere.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Moral acceptance with religions
Attachments
morals2.JPG
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

pdf.jpg
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Farmmaa wrote:Morals are born of empathy, trustworthiness, compassion...all human characteristics.
Religion not necessary

13232893_1360000507349359_9082606676258135277_n.jpg

Yes, America is such a peaceful country...

http://www.informationclearinghouse.inf ... e41086.htm

since the United States was founded in 1776, she has been at war during 214 out of her 235 calendar years of existence. In other words, there were only 21 calendar years in which the U.S. did not wage any wars.

To put this in perspective:

* Pick any year since 1776 and there is about a 91% chance that America was involved in some war during that calendar year.

* No U.S. president truly qualifies as a peacetime president. Instead, all U.S. presidents can technically be considered “war presidents.”

* The U.S. has never gone a decade without war.

* The only time the U.S. went five years without war (1935-40) was during the isolationist period of the Great Depression.

... but hey, if the official looking map says they're peaceful, it must be.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the map adresses domestic violence .
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

zzontar wrote:Yes, America is such a peaceful country...

... but hey, if the official looking map says they're peaceful, it must be.

I might be wrong but I don't believe the U.S.A. was painted in red.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”