Human / Religious origins

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: Human / Religious origins

Post by averagejoe »

Farmmaa wrote: And....Kelowna does not have a Mormon Temple.

Ok....

http://www.profilecanada.com/companydet ... Kelowna_BC

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Address: 696 Glenmore Rd, Kelowna, BC
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

averagejoe wrote:
Ok....

http://www.profilecanada.com/companydet ... Kelowna_BC

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Address: 696 Glenmore Rd, Kelowna, BC

It's a church. It's not a temple.
There is a huge difference between the two in the LDS religion.

Kelowna does not have a Mormon Temple.
The closest temple is in Vancouver.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Farmmaa wrote:It's a church. It's not a temple.
There is a huge difference between the two in the LDS religion.

Kelowna does not have a Mormon Temple.
The closest temple is in Vancouver.

In the LDS Church, temples are not only a House of the Lord, but are also where members of the church make covenants and perform sacred ordinances such as baptism for the dead, washing and anointing (or "initiatory" ordinances), the endowment, and eternal marriage sealings.

The Kirtland Temple, owned and maintained by the Community of Christ, was the first temple of the Latter Day Saint movement and the only temple completed in the lifetime of Joseph Smith
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

So, after all the postings made in the last 24 hours and the best argument has be reduced to whether it is a church or a temple?
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Couple of nice Mormon missionaries....

looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Why would I hope and pray for more than that as rebuttal?
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

cliffy1 wrote:In this early flowering of civilization, many religious myths abounded, seeking to explain what was then unexplainable. From this context comes the oldest complete literary work we have, the age of which we are certain, dating back at least 7,000 years. The Epic of Gilgamesh is a lengthy narrative of heroic mythology that incorporates many of the religious myths of Mesopotamia, and it is the earliest complete literary work that has survived.

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm

Funny how I just came across this article.....This is what an archaeological site looks like.

How do you come up 7,000 years cliffy? This says 4,700 years ago? Again here you go with no evidence as usual...

All I got say is that you should keep all your sources you quote and back up your miss leading statements. You have never been right yet. I hope your followers know that?

A picture shows the archaeological site of Uruk, which is renowned for its walls that were first built 4,700 years ago by the Sumerian King Gilgamesh

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/origina ... z4ABpH9O7C

Here cliffy is your Epic of Gilamesh...happy reading. :smt045

http://www.algardenia.com/maqalat/18923 ... 41-34.html

looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

So what? It's a dig of some walls. What relevance does that have to do with the last 3 pages of comments? Way to change the subject......again.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I don't think anyone has made any points about anything in about 10 pages. Not sure what's so scandalous about the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Bible having the same story. I've read a lot of books that borrowed stories from previous books. Original sources are always best, but secondary sources are great too.
Last edited by Glacier on May 30th, 2016, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

looking4one wrote:So what? It's a dig of some walls. What relevance does that have to do with the last 3 pages of comments? Way to change the subject......again.

Little tired about talking about monkeys....and how magically they turned into people.

Not one site has been posted of an actual archeological site with pits, cities, caves, full of these ancient mystic monkey/people you speak of....

Oh, oh their hunters and gathers...maybe go look for bones around some berry bushes?

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Glacier wrote:I think anyone has made any points about anything in about 10 pages. Not sure what's so scandalous about the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Bible having the same story. I've read a lot of books that borrowed stories from previous books. Original sources are always best, but secondary sources are great too.

Would this God that is in The Epic of Gilgamesh possibly be the God of Adam and Eve?

looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

I think anyone has made any points about anything in about 10 pages. Not sure what's so scandalous about the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Bible having the same story. I've read a lot of books that borrowed stories from previous books. Original sources are always best, but secondary sources are great too.

Stories DO get better with the number of times they are told. I'll give you that one. I am anxiously awaiting the newest and next publication. I hear Harlequin is coming out with the Canadian edition. Something about a Newfie and giving him a fish and then selling him the boat, motor, and all the right fishing gear to feed himself for life chapter is a real cliffhanger.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

looking4one wrote: Stories DO get better with the number of times they are told. I'll give you that one. I am anxiously awaiting the newest and next publication. I hear Harlequin is coming out with the Canadian edition. Something about a Newfie and giving him a fish and then selling him the boat, motor, and all the right fishing gear to feed himself for life chapter is a real cliffhanger.

Oh now your being silly again! :1422:

looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Last edited by looking4one on May 30th, 2016, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

averagejoe wrote:
In the LDS Church, temples are not only a House of the Lord, but are also where members of the church make covenants and perform sacred ordinances such as baptism for the dead, washing and anointing (or "initiatory" ordinances), the endowment, and eternal marriage sealings.

The Kirtland Temple, owned and maintained by the Community of Christ, was the first temple of the Latter Day Saint movement and the only temple completed in the lifetime of Joseph Smith

So...you screw up and get it wrong, I correct you and give you the right answer...and this is all you have to say ?
You were wrong...there is NO TEMPLE in Kelowna. There is only ONE in all of BC, seven in Canada.
I am aware of what the temples are used for thanks...it is you that didn't know the difference.

They do not hold church services in their temples, in fact, they are not open on Sundays.

But, yeah, post more photos of missionaries because that helps prove your point for sure.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”