Deck Restoration Advice Needed

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
badkittynikki

Deck Restoration Advice Needed

Post by badkittynikki »

Hello everyone! I am hoping I can get some advice on dealing with my deck.

We stained it years ago with a solid colour from Behr that we got at Home Depot. It pretty much started peeling the next year so now it looks incredibly awful! I have been doing some googling and I have settled on the idea of painting it this time. Has anyone else painted a deck? Did you get more mileage out of the paint?

I also have a wooden gazebo built on one half of the deck that was never painted or stained. I would be painting that and the deck at the same time. I have another issue with the gazebo, the roof was never shingled so the wood boards are a bit warped. Do I need to get new wood boards before getting the roof shingled or can shingles be somewhat forgiving?

Thanks in advance :)
looking4one
Übergod

Re: Deck Restoration Advice Needed

Post by looking4one »

Putting shingles over warped wood will accentuate the warpage and make it look worse.

You should rent a pressure washer and wash your decks before putting any other coating down.
I do not recommend paint especially here in the Okanagan. Solid colour stain is better, but buy good stain. Sikkins is the best, but costly.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
badkittynikki

Post by badkittynikki »

Thanks, I was pretty sure I'll need to replace the wood on the roof unfortunately.

I'll look into Sikkens. I really don't want to be redoing this in 2 years or less. It's soooo much work!!
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

badkittynikki wrote:Thanks, I was pretty sure I'll need to replace the wood on the roof unfortunately.

I'll look into Sikkens. I really don't want to be redoing this in 2 years or less. It's soooo much work!!

Mara Lumber Home Hardware on Hwy 33 is the Sikkins dealer, ask for Dave or Donny, they are the experts on Sikkins.

The sheeting you need is OSB, its cheat and will do the job for your roof. You might be able to just sheet over top of the old stuff, get someone that knows to look at it if you are not sure. The roof would need to be inspected for rot.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I agree with the Sikkens advice. There was the place off Spall Rd that sold it too.
It's a good product and, if you choose to paint instead, you will be entering a nightmare of epic proportions.

Just my 2 cents as a non professional but someone who has used Sikkens for years.
You and 71 others Like this post
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The other place is Modern Paint & Floors but Mara has better pricing. Sikkens is a great product. It's used at Big White alot because it can handle the weather better than anything else on the market.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Yes, modern paint is the one off Spall.....thanks, it was driving me crazy!
Big white and on the lake are two harsh environments where it works well.
You and 71 others Like this post
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

My family has had great success with Sikkens products too. Yes, they're expensive but worth the money.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Don't paint it. We did that once on the deck of a house we used to live in, and we wound up having to redo it every single year because it always peeled off. Stain is definitely the better choice.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I ended up getting a Sikkens stain at Benjamin Moore on Springfield. I needed something to stain my garden boxes with and was told Sikkens made a low (something or other, can't remember now) stain that is eco-friendly. My daughter works with the wife of someone who works at BM, and she said they often had mis-tints so I went to check them out. They did have a mis-tint in the type of stain I needed, and I got it at a good deal (paint places usually discount mis-tints just to get rid of them). I even like the colour :biggrin:
I haven't failed until I quit.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

The problem with mis-tints is, that they generally only available in small amounts. It will take multiple gallons to paint a deck.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Lady tehMa wrote:I ended up getting a Sikkens stain at Benjamin Moore on Springfield. I needed something to stain my garden boxes with and was told Sikkens made a low (something or other, can't remember now) stain that is eco-friendly. My daughter works with the wife of someone who works at BM, and she said they often had mis-tints so I went to check them out. They did have a mis-tint in the type of stain I needed, and I got it at a good deal (paint places usually discount mis-tints just to get rid of them). I even like the colour :biggrin:

Are you thinking of Sansin stain? Benjamin Moore doesn't carry Sikkens.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Benny Moore stain is a close 2nd in quality to Sikkins. Both are great.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

JLives wrote:Are you thinking of Sansin stain? Benjamin Moore doesn't carry Sikkens.

I had to go dig out the tin, but you are totally right, it is Sansin. All these "S" names get confusing :138:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Stain allows wood to breathe.
Stain also contracts and expands more readily with the wood, as it is coating on more of a cellular level, rather than creating a surface layer.
Paint holds water when penetrated.
It doesn't take a lot to break the surface of paint.
An edge, scratch, pebble mark or regular wear can create an opening for water to get in, be held and cause more damage.
When water is held close to the wood with nowhere to go, it can lead to rot.

I'd have to advise anyone to use stain on decks, fences and railings wherever you can.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”