Renovating an Ensuite

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
LolaB

Re: Renovating an Ensuite

Post by LolaB »

Looking for a house in Kelowna gives me a pretty good idea how many people attempt to renovate their houses but screw up everything. There are way too many absolutely awful installations in many homes starting from floor, through kitchen/bathroom cabinets, lights .... you name it.
If you are watching too many shows on HGTV and think you can do it but have no idea where to start or are clueless about the basic skills than you should not proceed on your own.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I think part of the issue is that no one knows how to do things for themselves anymore. I mean, how many people can tell a Robertson from a Phillips - and know what I am talking about?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

pepsilover wrote:I am wanting to get my ensuite renovated to include new sink, new toilet, new floor, painting walls etc., and new counter (or just countertop as I already have good cabinets but may go for a new cabinet if price is right).

So my question is what do I do first? Floor? Painting? Or the other three? (toilet, sink and counter)? I've already bought the sink I want which will pretty much fit existing counter but am open to putting new counter in.

Which is the best order in which to do these things?

I just had mine done. Same stuff. In this order:

1) Remove everything you're taking out (flooring, counter, toilet, etc.).
2) Remove light switch covers, etc. and then paint.
3) Install new flooring before you install new toilet. That way you can cut your tile right up to toilet hole. (Please don't tell you're putting in another type of flooring.)
4) Install new toilet with new Kant Leak wax seal.
5) Install new countertop, sink, backsplash, etc.
6) Put everything back. and silicone where needed.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Don't forget to add a 50% contingency cost. If you don't need it all for unforeseen expenses, buy beer. Even helpful friends cost something.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein

Return to “Creative Endeavours”