The Left Hand Path

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
TriforceofPower

The Left Hand Path

Post by TriforceofPower »

What is the general opinion of left hand path religions on this board? LaVeyan Satanism, Luciferianism, etc. I haven't seen many posts regarding this topic, so I figured I'd see if anybody here knew much about any left hand path theology or followed/participated in any.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: The Left Hand Path

Post by Glacier »

Never heard of it. Please explain.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Interesting topic. I've never heard the term "Left Hand Path" before so took some time to research it a bit. Throughout history the left hand side of the body has a carried negative aspect, considered by many religions to be "the Devil's playground" so to speak. This is interesting in that the right hand side of the brain, which controls the left hand side of our body, is also the root of emotion, creativity and intuition among other more undisciplined aspects of our behavior where the left side of the brain (right side of the body) is home to the more logical, facts-and-figures sort of stuff.

There's no doubt in my mind, well the left side of it anyways, that logic and reason can often keep us out of trouble by keeping over-indulgence in our more hedonistic urges in check, but that without some surrender to those urges life becomes bland and unrewarding.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Lefties are much more likely to be creative than right-handers, although I must admit the righties were very creative in creating the evil lefty witch theory.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

zzontar wrote:...although I must admit the righties were very creative in creating the evil lefty witch theory.

Perfectly logical strategy to keep all those pesky free-thinkers in check. :)
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Think of it as a two headed coin that the human mind has invented to deal with their fears ad give reason to life. To all believers one side of the coin is the "right" side and the other side is the one that is "left".

Since most people believe that they have chosen the right side, there are not many left to travel the left hand path.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Whereas the idea that the left hand path is inherently "evil" might be more than a little inaccurate. For me life is about balance, there's no wisdom in denying who we are, the challenge is to live a full life that doesn't step on any toes along the way. The left hand path, if I'm interpreting it properly, holds rewards of its own but is prone to excess if not tempered with a degree of moderation.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Perhaps believing in only the right path or the left path both get your Yin and Yang out of balance ??
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Donald G wrote:Perhaps believing in only the right path or the left path both get your Yin and Yang out of balance ??

Or something like that. Life in general is contradictory. It is beautiful and messy, violent and peaceful. People who think the point is to always be good are off balance. It is not possible. We are stuck in a duality paradigm. Trying to be one way or the other will cause serious neurosis or pathology. To find any sort of inner peace one must embrace every aspect of their personality, to love every aspect of themselves; the good the bad and the ugly. I think much of the violence and chaos can be chalked up to self hatred, which many religions tend to cause by promoting a rejection of one's dark side. Balance and moderation in all things is the way to freedom.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

cliffy1 wrote: People who think the point is to always be good are off balance.

If that's the way it is, I prefer an unbalanced world. Reading about all the twisted people and events happening in the world doesn't give me a sense of balance anymore than eating crap half the time makes me feel I have a balanced diet.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

zzontar wrote:If that's the way it is, I prefer an unbalanced world. Reading about all the twisted people and events happening in the world doesn't give me a sense of balance anymore than eating crap half the time makes me feel I have a balanced diet.

It doesn't mean you act out your dark side. It means you acknowledge it. It is part of you. If you come from a place of love, then acting out your darker side doesn't usually occur. But we all have thoughts and feelings that we consider "evil or negative". I'm talking about loosing the stigma surrounding those thoughts so they don't haunt us; don't build up and cause neurotic behaviour.
Also, what we, in our society, consider morally wrong is not necessarily wrong in other societies. What it all comes down to is judgement, something that we are not supposed to indulge in if you believe in the bible or most other religions. That includes judging yourself.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

1. Left Hand Path in the West

Book Cover“Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path.”

"The Satanic Bible" by Anton LaVey (1969)
Book Of Lucifer 3:paragraph 3
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Most evilest women in history...Helena Blavatsky...one of reasons Western Christian civilization is in trouble.

2. How the Terminology Entered the West

The beginnings of the usage of the term in the West is unclear, but some theories are that it entered Western thought via either Helena Blavatsky and the Theosophists or via the Tatar Invasions.

2.1. Helena Blavatsky and the Theosophists

Madame Blavatsky and the Theosophists brought many Hindu, Buddhist and Indian mores to the West, massively influencing Western occultism, magical thought, New Age religion and exposing the West to many 'new' religious ideas.

“The origin of the term Left-Hand Path can be traced back to the form of Indian religion called Tantra, where a distinction between various traditions is expressed in the terms Vamamarga [the left wat] and Dakshinamarga [right]. [...] The popularisation of the terms can probably be attributed to Helena Petrovna Blavatsky of the Theosophical Society, who used them in her work The Secret Doctrine [1888].”
Kennet Granholm
In "Contemporary Religious Satanism" by Jesper Aagaard Petersen (2009)2
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

This is whats taking hold of America....thanks to all those who push liberalism....you get what you push without thinking.

Satanism bigger than you think...

A religion that is known to sacrifice children and other horrible things.

Satanist leads prayer at Pensacola council meeting

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Another ridiculous myth that originated in the minds of those who do not accept scientific reality.

The "left" hand path has never been the "right" path to very many people..

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”