Paganism

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Phoenix Within
Guru

Re: Paganism

Post by Phoenix Within »

FunkyBunch wrote:The majority of that authors points contradict the accepted history. Some his facts are accurate but his conclusions and some of his facts are false.

Reminds me of a quote I once read. "After hearing two eye-witness accounts of an accident, it really makes you wonder about history".
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

"The FEAR of the TRIUNE GOD is the beginning of wisdom!!"
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

I'm anti religion I could care less what superstitions people want to belive,
I was making conversation.

But there was a program on this exact topic on the History channel.
http://www.history.com/encyclopedia.do?articleId=206369
Constantine allowed Christianity to exist along side Roman Paganism in Rome.

My views on religion closely mirror those of the Zietgeist movie.
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com

So there is no hell at the center of the earth just like there is no heaven out in the universe .
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

See now you're starting to make sense. But he was not Pope, he did however keep the emperor's head of the Pagan religions until his death. Further he was baptized by the Pope who was alive during his reign as emperor.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

How could there have been a pope before there was a Roman Catholic church?

FunkyBunch wrote:See now you're starting to make sense. But he was not Pope, he did however keep the emperor's head of the Pagan religions until his death. Further he was baptized by the Pope who was alive during his reign as emperor.
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

The Edict of Thessalonica, also known as Cunctos populos, was delivered on 27 February 380 by Theodosius I, Gratian e Valentinian II in order that all their subjects should profess the faith of the bishops of Rome and Alexandria. This made the Nicene Christianity the official state religion of the Roman Empire.

IMPPP. GR(ATI)IANUS, VAL(ENTINI)ANUS ET THE(O)D(OSIUS) AAA. EDICTUM AD POPULUM VRB(IS) CONSTANTINOP(OLITANAE).

Cunctos populos, quos clementiae nostrae regit temperamentum, in tali volumus religione versari, quam divinum Petrum apostolum tradidisse Romanis religio usque ad nuc ab ipso insinuata declarat quamque pontificem Damasum sequi claret et Petrum Aleksandriae episcopum virum apostolicae sanctitatis, hoc est, ut secundum apostolicam disciplinam evangelicamque doctrinam patris et filii et spiritus sancti unam deitatem sub parili maiestate et sub pia trinitate credamus. Hanc legem sequentes Christianorum catholicorum nomen iubemus amplecti, reliquos vero dementes vesanosque iudicantes haeretici dogmatis infamiam sustinere ‘nec conciliabula eorum ecclesiarum nomen accipere’, divina primum vindicta, post etiam motus nostri, quem ex caelesti arbitro sumpserimus, ultione plectendos.

DAT. III Kal. Mar. THESSAL(ONICAE) GR(ATI)ANO A. V ET THEOD(OSIO) A. I CONSS.

EMPERORS GRATIAN, VALENTINIAN AND THEODOSIUS AUGUSTI. EDICT TO THE PEOPLE OF CONSTANTINOPLE.
It is our desire that all the various nations which are subject to our Clemency and Moderation, should continue to profess that religion which was delivered to the Romans by the divine Apostle Peter, as it has been preserved by faithful tradition, and which is now professed by the Pontiff Damasus and by Peter, Bishop of Alexandria, a man of apostolic holiness. According to the apostolic teaching and the doctrine of the Gospel, let us believe in the one deity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, in equal majesty and in a holy Trinity. We authorize the followers of this law to assume the title of Catholic Christians; but as for the others, since, in our judgment they are foolish madmen, we decree that they shall be branded with the ignominious name of heretics, and shall not presume to give to their conventicles the name of churches. They will suffer in the first place the chastisement of the divine condemnation and in the second the punishment of our authority which in accordance with the will of Heaven we shall decide to inflict.
GIVEN IN THESSALONICA ON THE THIRD DAY FROM THE CALENDS OF MARCH, DURING THE FIFTH CONSULATE OF GRATIAN AUGUSTUS AND FIRST OF THEODOSIUS AUGUSTUS
—Codex Theodosianus, xvi.1.2

Anyway, the adjective "catholic" applied to the Christian church, was already used by the first time by Ignatius of Antioch in the year 117 A.D.:

"The word Catholic (katholikos from katholou -- throughout the whole, i.e., universal) occurs in the Greek classics, e.g., in Aristotle and Polybius, and was freely used by the earlier Christian writers in what we may call its primitive and non-ecclesiastical sense. Thus we meet such phrases as the "the catholic resurrection" (Justin Martyr), "the catholic goodness of God" (Tertullian), "the four catholic winds" (Irenaeus), where we should now speak of "the general resurrection", "the absolute or universal goodness of God", "the four principal winds", etc...

The combination "the Catholic Church" (he katholike ekklesia) is found for the first time in the letter of St. Ignatius to the Smyrnaeans, written about the year 110. The words run:

"Wheresoever the bishop shall appear, there let the people be, even as where Jesus may be, there is the universal [katholike] Church." [1].
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

steelrules wrote:How could there have been a pope before there was a Roman Catholic church?

FunkyBunch wrote:See now you're starting to make sense. But he was not Pope, he did however keep the emperor's head of the Pagan religions until his death. Further he was baptized by the Pope who was alive during his reign as emperor.

Catholics consider the Catholic Church to have been founded by Jesus Christ, its spiritual head. Catholic doctrine asserts that it is the continuation of the Church that was founded at the Confession of Peter. It interprets the Confession of Peter as Christ's designation of Apostle Peter and his successors in Rome to be the temporal head of his Church. Thus, it asserts that the Bishop of Rome has the sole legitimate claim to Petrine authority and the primacy due to the Roman Pontiff.[3][4][5][6] The Catholic Church claims legitimacy of its bishops and priests via the doctrine of apostolic succession and authority of the Pope via the unbroken line of popes, successors to Simon Peter.[7]

The authority of the Apostle Peter and his successors is thus viewed as a continuous history from Jesus Christ.[8][9][10] The institution of the papacy as it exists today developed through the centuries. Church tradition records that Peter became the first leader of Christians in the Imperial capital of Rome. The Apostles and many Christians traveled to northern Africa, Asia Minor, Arabia, Greece, and Rome to found the first Christian communities. Christianity spread quickly through the Roman Empire, and by the second century there were many established bishoprics within the Empire including Northern Africa, France, Italy, Syria, and Asia Minor, and twenty bishoprics outside the empire, mainly in Armenia.[11] Irenaeus (d. 202) defended the apostolic tradition.[12]

In 313, the struggles of the Early Church were lessened by the legalisation of Christianity by the Emperor Constantine I. In 380, Christianity became the state religion of the Roman Empire by the decree of the Emperor, which would persist until the fall of the Western Empire, and later, with the Eastern Roman Empire, until the Fall of Constantinople. During this time (the period of the Seven Ecumenical Councils) there were considered five primary sees according to Eusebius: Rome, Constantinople, Antioch, Jerusalem and Alexandria, see also Pentarchy.

The Catholic Church, was not the Roman Catholic church until many years after the death of Constantine, the man who legalized it. And that did not change who the Pope was. All it did was decree that the Catholic church already in existence, was the official religion of the Roman Empire.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

I'll give you some of that but many scholars belive Constantine was first pope, Christanity existed but not the Roman Catholic Church.
Further when Christianity was leagalized Constantine had to try to merge the pagans and the christians in to the empire in other words make them get along.

But now back to the originaly topic that drew me to the conversation,
In the attempt to make them get along Constantine presided over the council of Nicaea at wich time the 25th of December was made the official date of Christs berth to coincide with the Pagan solstice celabrations hence he was also a good politician.

FunkyBunch wrote:
steelrules wrote:How could there have been a pope before there was a Roman Catholic church?

Catholics consider the Catholic Church to have been founded by Jesus Christ, its spiritual head. Catholic doctrine asserts that it is the continuation of the Church that was founded at the Confession of Peter. It interprets the Confession of Peter as Christ's designation of Apostle Peter and his successors in Rome to be the temporal head of his Church. Thus, it asserts that the Bishop of Rome has the sole legitimate claim to Petrine authority and the primacy due to the Roman Pontiff.[3][4][5][6] The Catholic Church claims legitimacy of its bishops and priests via the doctrine of apostolic succession and authority of the Pope via the unbroken line of popes, successors to Simon Peter.[7]

The authority of the Apostle Peter and his successors is thus viewed as a continuous history from Jesus Christ.[8][9][10] The institution of the papacy as it exists today developed through the centuries. Church tradition records that Peter became the first leader of Christians in the Imperial capital of Rome. The Apostles and many Christians traveled to northern Africa, Asia Minor, Arabia, Greece, and Rome to found the first Christian communities. Christianity spread quickly through the Roman Empire, and by the second century there were many established bishoprics within the Empire including Northern Africa, France, Italy, Syria, and Asia Minor, and twenty bishoprics outside the empire, mainly in Armenia.[11] Irenaeus (d. 202) defended the apostolic tradition.[12]

In 313, the struggles of the Early Church were lessened by the legalisation of Christianity by the Emperor Constantine I. In 380, Christianity became the state religion of the Roman Empire by the decree of the Emperor, which would persist until the fall of the Western Empire, and later, with the Eastern Roman Empire, until the Fall of Constantinople. During this time (the period of the Seven Ecumenical Councils) there were considered five primary sees according to Eusebius: Rome, Constantinople, Antioch, Jerusalem and Alexandria, see also Pentarchy.

The Catholic Church, was not the Roman Catholic church until many years after the death of Constantine, the man who legalized it. And that did not change who the Pope was. All it did was decree that the Catholic church already in existence, was the official religion of the Roman Empire.
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Traci

Post by Traci »

Queen K wrote:I guess I was hoping to see some pix, not identifying anyone, or be sensationalist, just to get a reading of the atmosphere surrounding what would be a pagan ritual, and I don't mean something artificial or staged, but a real portrayal of the scene. Ah well....

I have one from our local shaman done in Nov 2014 at the Unitarian if you like. We did a bones and stones ceremony and then the blood washing of the bones and hands and thus the bones and stones were placed in the local community cairn . if you google Kelowna Pagan Association it will be all there for you!
Traci

Post by Traci »

Here is a video of us in 2014 for Samhain Oct 31 - Nov 4th give or take when we can all connect. This was done at the unitarian church on Cawston Ave https://www.facebook.com/tsavel/videos/ ... 450540535/

sorry I am not good at this computer link thang! Lets try this one https://www.facebook.com/tsavel/videos/ ... 212520535/
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

A pagan is anyone who reveres the Earth and all Life. All the indigenous peoples of the world were pagans by definition.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Traci

Post by Traci »

For our KPA Kelowna Pagan Association we host a Pagan Pride Project Day and right now under the term PAGAN is
Wicca
Witchcraft
Shaman
Druid
Asatru
Blood Sorcery
Heathen

These are the groups that practice in the Vernon Kelowna Penticton area. Anyone of the Board of Directors would be happy to give you information that we have on any misconception of what people think we are and practice.

http://www.paganpride.org/where/canada/ ... ia-kelwona we are hosting a meet and greet Pagan Pride Day September 24th 10 am in Ben Lee park in RUTLAND off Houghton Rd its a free event and open ritual with workshops to follow and information booth.

We are having a Lughnasadh - Feast and Dance for those who may want to come out . https://www.facebook.com/events/276159962742045/
Traci

Post by Traci »

We are wondering if there is there a community that may not know about the Kelowna Pagan Association.

I understand that this thread is about the ideals and topics of such however some of us take those documented topics and put them into daily life practice. If there are solitary or covens, groves or outskirts that are interested in meeting with others for:

8 Sabbats Samhain - Imbolc - Beltane - Lughnasadh as well as the cross quarter days

Rites of Passage - We have Clergy being set up in the Kelowna General Hospital (being worked out at the moment)

Pagan Pride Project - ANNUALLY

If you are new or looking to find a real time face to face connection we are here, we are available.

I am not one for advertising and promoting, those who seek shall find. We are reaching out to the Greater Kelowna Community in hopes others are out there and want to take part in an actual thriving community.

KPA = an association dedicated to providing a central source for networking, awareness, and facilitating Kelowna Pagan Pride Project. http://www.paganpride.org/where/canada/ ... ia-kelwona

Website for community members to find information about ongoing activities and to find like minded individuals.
Check - FB page. https://www.facebook.com/KelownaPaganAs ... =bookmarks Communication with public on pagan related issues. Hence why I am trying to engage on this forum with like minded Kelowna, Vernon and Penticton Pagans.

Kelowna Pagan Pride Project - Last meeting the board voted that we would also as originally proposed at association creation that members continue to try to be leaders in the community with hosting events such as pagans pub night but that as an association we do not host events. We facilitate and Support
Traci

Post by Traci »

Join us for the Lugh Games & Feast!!!!!
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

What's for supper? When and where? Red or white wine?
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”