We are all born Atheists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Nomaster
Board Meister

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Nomaster »

OREZ wrote: Why do you care if all you have is a lack of belief?

MY response was- Because religion isn't harmless. It harms people and societies. It has harmed people in its history of holy wars, land grabs, approval of slavery, human rights abuses, sexual abuse cover ups, witch hunts, subjection of women and children, other religions, etc, etc. All so they can continue to exist for their true purpose.

Money and power on earth.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 8th, 2016, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed.
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

The religious response is "shush, I'm enjoying the candles and incense and music here. Begone, you pesky Atheists."
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Whether we want to believe religion is beneficial is moot to this thread, fact is the human brain has evolved a natural curiosity to seek understanding of our place in the world and to explain what at the time may be explainable. Evolutionary speaking it has been a huge advantage, an organized and single minded group of humans is far more likely to pass along it genes and grow in numbers than small tribal bands or individuals.

The way I look at is that spirituality is a result of this evolved curiosity and religions exploit this curiosity.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Nomaster wrote:The religious response is "shush, I'm enjoying the candles and incense and music here. Begone, you pesky Atheists."

How does a silly comment like that support your view?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Poindexter wrote:The way I look at is that spirituality is a result of this evolved curiosity and religions exploit this curiosity.

I agree that religion is often guilty of exploiting this curiosity, I just don't believe that it's evolved.

But if it were evolved, would that indicate to you that we're all born atheists, as the OP asserts, or not?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

My 'silly' comment is truthful.
Remember this scandal?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/specia ... story.html

How did it go on and on for decades in multiple countries without the Vatican knowing about it? Answer: Well, they actually knew and so did police and judges. But we have to be deferential to them, don't we?

After all, they are popular, wealthy and powerful.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Are you now changing the topic of the thread?
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

I was responding to your comment. My comment wasn't 'silly.'
It's dead on accurate about the religious not wanting pesky people asking too many questions about the hierarchy or their evils they commit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The comment was silly because no one on Castanet, including Catholics, condone such actions, nor are they obvious to the sad fact that such actions never happen within religious institutions. That has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand, and seems to be more of an "oops, I'm losing that argument so how about this" kind of response. You know, the type of response you decry the Catholic church for doing when they were first confronted by the abuses.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

The comment is also silly because pointing out flaws in a particular religion does not = "we are all born atheists"

If a person has a particular subject to discuss, then discuss it. If it's just another thinly veiled opportunity to bash religion then call the thread, "Let's Bash Religion"

ETA. All you're really demonstrating is that you don't have a good argument to back up your original claim so you're wading into a more comfortable territory, finger pointing and bashing which really has nothing to do with the more interesting question of, are we in fact all born atheists?
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Back on topic.

A baby is born. What is his religion?
Probably whatever his parents believe.

If his parents are Jewish, he'll be circumcised and Bar Mitzvahed, he may continue to follow the religion of his family or he could be a 'secular Jew' as is often the case in N. America and Western Europe.

If he is born to non- religious parents, he'll possibly stay agnostic or a strong atheist.

If he's born to Muslim parents, he will be a Muslim the moment his father whispers his name in his ear three times and declares a prayer to the baby.

Case Closed.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nomaster wrote:Back on topic.

A baby is born. What is his religion?
Probably whatever his parents believe.

If his parents are Jewish, he'll be circumcised and Bar Mitzvahed, he may continue to follow the religion of his family or he could be a 'secular Jew' as is often the case in N. America and Western Europe.

If he is born to non- religious parents, he'll possibly stay agnostic or a strong atheist.

If he's born to Muslim parents, he will be a Muslim the moment his father whispers his name in his ear three times and declares a prayer to the baby.

Case Closed.

Well, you're pointing out the obvious here. No one in this thread has disputed any of that. In other news, you also inherit the politics of your parents (which in my case is a bit confusing since my parents are on opposite ends of the political spectrum).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Having no religion does not make one an atheist just like being born into a religious home does not automatically make a person a believer.

Having not been being raised by religious parents definitely does not always mean the person will not become a believer at some point, not even close.

Case closed? Please... that's a very simplistic view.
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

I wonder how many babies born in Cairo this yr will follow Amun?

I wonder how many babies born in Athens this yr will worship Athena?

I wonder how many babies born in Oslo this yr will worship Odin and Thor?

I wonder how many babies born in Mexico City this year will be raised Catholic vs. Aztec?

OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Oh, an internet meme. I guess that settles the argument. Dang.

Maybe we're all believers until someone starts telling us lies.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”