We are all born Atheists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Nomaster
Board Meister
Posts: 457
Joined: Aug 4th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Nomaster »

That's an interesting assertion. Mind proving it with facts?


Nope? Didn't think so.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 39865
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Glacier »

You do realize that your meme is an opinion, not a factual statement, right?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nomaster
Board Meister
Posts: 457
Joined: Aug 4th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Nomaster »

Nomaster wrote:I wonder how many babies born in Cairo this yr will follow Amun?

I wonder how many babies born in Athens this yr will worship Athena?

I wonder how many babies born in Oslo this yr will worship Odin and Thor?

I wonder how many babies born in Mexico City this year will be raised Catholic vs. Aztec?]


Care to comment? No, I didn't think so.
Nomaster
Board Meister
Posts: 457
Joined: Aug 4th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Nomaster »

http://www.indexmundi.com/mexico/religions.html

Gosh, I wonder why Mexico is so predominantly Christian? Why are their so few Indigenous people following indigenous religions?

Could it be centuries of indoctrination, you think?
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
Posts: 6277
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Poindexter »

OREZ wrote:
I agree that religion is often guilty of exploiting this curiosity, I just don't believe that it's evolved.

But if it were evolved, would that indicate to you that we're all born atheists, as the OP asserts, or not?


It depends if you consider being born with a propensity for spirituality but having no preconceived notion as to what that means can be defined as atheist. As far as I'm concerned the term Apostate defines my stance more accurately. I was born an atheist, taught Catholicism, rejected it but still have a sense of spirituality and connection to the universe.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Nomaster
Board Meister
Posts: 457
Joined: Aug 4th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Nomaster »

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html
Best countries to live in? The countries that are the most secular.
Most stable? The least religious.

The most equality in the sexes. The least religious.

Highest United Nations Human Development Index? The Least religious.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 39865
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Glacier »

Nomaster wrote:Care to comment? No, I didn't think so.

I'm not sure what your point is. That cultures, politics, science, and religions change over time? Are you asking for a history lesson on how Egypt changed from worshiping Isis to worshiping the god of ISIS?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nomaster
Board Meister
Posts: 457
Joined: Aug 4th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Nomaster »

Try explaining why you, presumably, never worship Thor or Zeus or Shango or any other culture's main diety.
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
Posts: 6277
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Poindexter »

Nomaster wrote:http://www.indexmundi.com/mexico/religions.html

Gosh, I wonder why Mexico is so predominantly Christian? Why are their so few Indigenous people following indigenous religions?

Could it be centuries of indoctrination, you think?


Could also be because their indigenous religion practiced the sacrificing of virgins and children.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
OREZ
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by OREZ »

Nomaster wrote:That's an interesting assertion. Mind proving it with facts?

Nope? Didn't think so.


I didn't make an assertion I said "maybe." You made the assertion, "we are all born atheists"

The truth is I don't know if we're born atheists or not and there is no way of knowing what, if anything we believed as infants. I thought the question was interesting enough to bother commenting and asking a couple of questions, not make assertions or state anything as if it were fact because we discuss and debate opinions, not facts. You cannot prove your claims to be fact any more than I can but you seem testy about being questioned or contradicted on it for some reason.

Just because you don't like religious organizations (I'm not a fan either) does not make your statement true.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 39865
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Glacier »

Nomaster wrote:Try explaining why you, presumably, never worship Thor or Zeus or Shango or any other culture's main diety.

Actually, I did. But after listening to a wide variation of viewpoints, I've change my beliefs that don't match that which I was born into. I've also come to realize that different religions across the world are seeking the same Creator. The main reason they take such divergent paths is that humans get involved -- you know, that creature made up largely of greedy selfish brats, and they often corrupt the basic truths to fit their own agendas. One of the pernicious agendas I've come across is the idea that there is no god; man is God. I'm not painting all atheists with the same brush here, but a large number of them tend to be extremely arrogant, which is why they feel the need to go out of their way to slam every other belief system without any interest whatsoever in actually listening to why people believe what they do.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nomaster
Board Meister
Posts: 457
Joined: Aug 4th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Nomaster »

Presumably you are following one of the more recent religions
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _movements

Not the faith of these people 11 Thousand years ago. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/g ... -83613665/

Just an observation. You probably have read about the faiths you have heard about, or the ones who contacted you in literature or in person.

So, we are all indoctrinated based on our personal circumstances, family, age we are born into, the culture of our time and pure chance.

Sounds like A Plan to me by an all-knowing universal entity.
Nomaster
Board Meister
Posts: 457
Joined: Aug 4th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Nomaster »

Image

Personally I'd pick the faith with the prettiest temples or gardens.

Seems just as logical.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 39865
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Glacier »

All but the most rigid thinkers change their opinions over time. Anyone who will rigidly stick with the beliefs and opinions they had at birth, and refuses to consider changing them over time for fear of getting "indoctrinated" is probably the one that's mostly likely to be the most wrong, and the last to accept truth when the evidence is beyond overwhelming. That's why you'd prefer a religion with good looks over a religion with good arguments.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 54853
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Bsuds »

Nomaster wrote:Personally I'd pick the faith with the prettiest temples or gardens.

Seems just as logical.


Those are the ones who want the most money from you!
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”