Creationism = Science Illiteracy

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Nomaster
Board Meister

Creationism = Science Illiteracy

Post by Nomaster »

Why are there still creationists in this day and age?

Nomaster
Board Meister

Re: Creationism = Science Illiteracy

Post by Nomaster »

From earlier this year.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... arwin-day/

98% of scientists connected to the American Association for the Advancement of Science say they believe humans evolved over time.
The general population in the U.S? Only 66% believe in evolution.
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

You clearly underestimate the capability of religious communities to brain wash.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The Bible, when viewed as a collection of metaphoric parables meant to convey a moral message, can inspire a great deal of productive thought. When viewed as a literally accurate history of actual events, it promotes belief without critical thought.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

add to that the flat earth imbeciles
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

1/3 of the population in the U.S. Would disagree with the statement " nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution." Yet they have no other explanation beyond...magic man in sky.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Nomaster wrote:The general population in the U.S? Only 66% believe in evolution.

And the rest believe in Trump...enough said! lol
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Nomaster wrote:" nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."

So, just because we haven't figured something out yet, the default position is intelligent design ? That's quite a leap. We don't fully understand human consciousness yet either, but we still think. Why is it that "I don't know" is such a difficult concept for so many ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

With the popularity of home schooling this deliberate ignorance may actually get worse.
Christian-based materials dominate a growing home-school education market that encompasses more than 1.5 million students in the U.S. And for most home-school parents, a Bible-based version of the Earth's creation is exactly what they want. Federal statistics from 2007 show 83 percent of home-schooling parents want to give their children "religious or moral instruction."

"The majority of home-schoolers self-identify as evangelical Christians," said Ian Slatter, a spokesman for the Home School Legal Defense Association. "Most home-schoolers will definitely have a sort of creationist component to their home-school program."

Those who don't, however, often feel isolated and frustrated from trying to find a textbook that fits their beliefs.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/35740950/ns/u ... ss-darwin/
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Science doesn't say "I don't know." Science says "let's figure this out."

http://www.livescience.com/21490-what-i ... hesis.html
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Thanks, Poindexter.

My sister home schooled her two kids. (No, not in a religious household. Just for a better quality more kid-approach to "lighting a fire, not filling a bucket" kind of learning.)

Anyway, in order to fill the social aspect of learning her two home-schooled kids did participate in home schoolers sports days or science fairs, etc.
The 'science' fairs were quite interesting. Filled with 'Biblical Science.' BS for short. [icon_lol2.gif]
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Great subject . The problem is no one as a leader willing to stand up and say hey your lil god doesnt exsist except in your mind .
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

This sort of thread title and content is why many theists really can't stand us atheists.

As for what science "says"... I've heard many scientists who lead their field say that they don't know, but as you know, that isn't where they stop and invoke something unexplainable.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

youjustcomplain wrote:This sort of thread title and content is why many theists really can't stand us atheists.

As for what science "says"... I've heard many scientists who lead their field say that they don't know, but as you know, that isn't where they stop and invoke something unexplainable.

It wasn't that long ago that scientists thought the Earth was flat, even though there was no proof to back it up.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

zzontar wrote:It wasn't that long ago that scientists thought the Earth was flat, even though there was no proof to back it up.

Should we abandon science because their theory, at the time, turned out to be wrong?

Beauty of Science is that when a theory is proved wrong, scientists get excited, examine new evidence then come to a new hypothesis which they test and have tested by their peers until it becomes the latest theory. This happens all the time. This is why many of us believe what scientists tell us. If the current model fails a test, a new model is created.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”