2016 Fire Season

trapp
Übergod

2016 Fire Season

Post by trapp »

As we wind down the 2016 season here in the Okanagan I would class this as a "non event" year in comparison to the last 10 years at least. Lets hope it is a ten year "trend" starting. There were definitely some frightening moments for many on the interface with fires on their doorstep and evacuations. Most fires were only burning rank 2 with some rank 3 and cooling to rank 1 at night giving ideal opportunity for initial attack crews to get quick control.

Although we have cooler an moister conditions campfire regulations still apply. Fires no larger than 1/2 meter by 1/2 meter, 8 liters of water or a shovel at the campfire site. Water is far better than a shovel. Do not leave your campfires unattended and extinguish completely before leaving. Also a reminder that the wood you burn must not be longer than 1/2 meter. A good idea is to get a small ( 10 liter of larger ) pail and paint "campfire water" on it in red and have it by your fire at all times.

Have a great fall everyone. If you see this old trapper on the Aberdeen or the 201 stop and say hello. My Fire Warden are usually on my truck till the season ends.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: 2016 Fire Season

Post by Bunnyhop »

I got the impression that Forestry hit fires hard and fast this year especially. For the most part, fires didn't have a chance to go anywhere, the skimmers were ON IT.

I think they did a good job, and I appreciate their efforts. Its hard, dirty work to fight fires. Kudos to them all.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Start of a trend? Fires have been dropping since 2002 (when online records began), and even further back, since 1666 or whenever they first started recording fires.

fires2002-2016.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

Bunnyhop wrote:I got the impression that Forestry hit fires hard and fast this year especially. For the most part, fires didn't have a chance to go anywhere, the skimmers were ON IT.

I think they did a good job, and I appreciate their efforts. Its hard, dirty work to fight fires. Kudos to them all.

It was pretty bad at the beginning of the season up north by Fort St John. I don't want to jinx anything and say we are out of the woods for this year but I can't really see the hot dry temp in the next few weeks. I think fall is here.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Since the big fire hit Fort St. John, they've had over 500 mm of precipitation. The snow is starting now. Both Whistler and Old Crow, Yukon have been hit. Fire season is over, especially in the north where Fall comes that much earlier.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Wildfire 3

Post by Wildfire 3 »

A famine season for myself, not a single op this year. A subdued fire season is a good thing, though...last couple years were a little bit hairy :smt045
Deployed - Destroyed - Enjoyed
Oliver 2015
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

The danger rating is still clinging on in some of the valley bottoms. Haven't had that big day-long soaking of rain yet.
Attachments
Danger rating September 10th.png
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It looks like only Merritt is extreme on that map. Check out Alberta though...

fdr.jpg
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

And this was Alberta's danger rating yesterday. Rained yesterday & the danger rating is extreme today (was windy). That's how it works in Southern Alberta this time of year, the grass is at the end of its growth cycle & prairie fires are common. It's a natural part of the ecosystem.
Attachments
Danger rating September 9th.png

Return to “Fire Watch 2016”