Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:That pretty well describes every religious leader... who uses people beliefs for personal gains be monetary or ego (definitely TV ones).

fluffy wrote:I won't dispute that, but then those people could hardly be considered truly religious, could they? It would be like saying that a crooked cop represents the law. It's a scam.

Large amount of believers tend to place their brain on a shelf when it comes to following. It's sad to see or hear how gullible people can be.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

GordonH wrote:Large amount of believers tend to place their brain on a shelf when it comes to following. It's sad to see or hear how gullible people can be.

I don't think believers hold any monopoly on gullibility, although there may be something in religions that promote love and compassion that makes their followers more susceptible. Does that make them worthy of blame as opposed to those who perpetrate the con ? I suppose there is some shortcoming in being too trusting, but then again, how many non-believers are going to vote for Trump?
Last edited by fluffy on Sep 24th, 2016, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Gixxer wrote:Watch this everyone as believers will either deflect or avoid answering a simple direct question.

The simple and direct question is.

Why did god let Hitler exist, murder millions?

I'd say so that future populations would learn from it and hopefully become wiser, and it's the bodies that were murdered, not the souls. The good souls would allegedly go to heaven which is supposed to be the best place to be, so what's the problem exactly?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Large amount of believers tend to place their brain on a shelf when it comes to following. It's sad to see or hear how gullible people can be.

fluffy wrote:I don't think believers hold any monopoly on gullibility, although there may be something in religions that promote love and compassion that makes their followers more susceptible. Does that make them worthy of blame as opposed to those who perpetrate the con ?

Of course not, snake oil salespeople continue come & go.... in religion.... politics... in life.

If something sounds to good to be true, most likely it's not.
This little saying has worked well for myself
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

zzontar wrote:I'd say so that future populations would learn from it and hopefully become wiser, and it's the bodies that were murdered, not the souls.

Possible but a little thin. The question of just why God allows so much pain and anguish to exist is a legitimate one. The lack of answers for this and many other similar questions could account for a significant portion of the exodus from traditional religions. People are finding it increasingly difficult to believe in a loving God who appears insensitive to human suffering. Much easier to believe that it's a human failing since so many of humanity's faults are so painfully obvious.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

GordonH wrote:If something sounds to good to be true, most likely it's not.
This little saying has worked well for myself

A little healthy skepticism goes a long way.
is winter over
Fledgling

Post by is winter over »

fluffy wrote:
You'd have to ask someone who believes in a god that takes an active interest in our lives. I'm not that person. But I stand by my comments about those who come here to ridicule rather than discuss.

My simple and direct question was "Why would the concepts of good and evil be different for theists than they are for atheists?"

I think its different as theist actually see good and evil as something, that there is a objective good and evil. Theists see good and evil related to morality and that god is the standard for good, and I guess those things that are not god would be evil.

Myself I see good and bad(evil) as labels or concepts that describe those things that we see as having a perceived benefit or detriment to ourselves and/or society. I see the label good and bad (evil) at a lower level as being subjective.
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

You generalize too much.
I am... the law!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

is winter over wrote:I think its different as theist actually see good and evil as something, that there is a objective good and evil. Theists see good and evil related to morality and that god is the standard for good, and I guess those things that are not god would be evil.

Myself I see good and bad(evil) as labels or concepts that describe those things that we see as having a perceived benefit or detriment to ourselves and/or society. I see the label good and bad (evil) at a lower level as being subjective.

I'm not getting you. What is good or evil for anyone is pretty much the same for theists and atheists alike. There is no double standard, if one is trying to lead a "good" life the rules are pretty much the same.
Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

Seeking a hypothetical answer to a hypothetical question in order to assert ones position of belief or non-belief seems ridiculous, to me anyways.

I also believe it takes from the unimaginable suffering the victims of the Holocaust were subjected to, all to justify what, my position on religion is better than your position on religion?

:smt045
Did you know 1 of 3 Biden voters are as dumb as the other 2? #LetsGoBrandon!
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

zzontar wrote:It's odd how the devil seems to evade all blame. It's like having a super good neighbour on one side and a super bad one on the other and every time something is stolen from your yard, people blame the good neighbour.

Right. Except, you're just that crazy guy living on an otherwise deserted island in the middle of the ocean. You have no neighbors, but keep thanking one and blaming the other.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

youjustcomplain wrote:
Right. Except, you're just that crazy guy living on an otherwise deserted island in the middle of the ocean. You have no neighbors, but keep thanking one and blaming the other.

Ah, another "I know you are but what am I" response... you must be cranky because you have school tomorrow.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

zzontar wrote:Ah, another "I know you are but what am I" response... you must be cranky because you have school tomorrow.

Now that is a childish response. I replied to your metaphor. Calling you a crazy guy was part of the metaphor I used, not meant to be a personal attack. Not sure how you may have taken it that way.

You made the metaphor that implies that both god and the devil exist. I challenged your metaphor because it was garbage.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

youjustcomplain wrote:
Now that is a childish response. I replied to your metaphor. Calling you a crazy guy was part of the metaphor I used, not meant to be a personal attack. Not sure how you may have taken it that way.

You made the metaphor that implies that both god and the devil exist. I challenged your metaphor because it was garbage.

I can honestly say I believe they both exist, you say you know they don't. Quite the claim.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

zzontar wrote:I can honestly say I believe they both exist, you say you know they don't. Quite the claim.

Completely false. You honestly believe they exist and I don't believe they do. I have never said I know they don't exist. Those words tasted bad, please don't put them in my mouth.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”