Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
zzontar
Guru

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Post by zzontar »

youjustcomplain wrote:
Completely false. You honestly believe they exist and I don't believe they do. I have never said I know they don't exist. Those words tasted bad, please don't put them in my mouth.

Saying that implying that there is God and the Devil is garbage is a statement, not a belief.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

youjustcomplain wrote:You made the metaphor that implies that both god and the devil exist. I challenged your metaphor because it was garbage.

zzontar wrote:Saying that implying that there is God and the Devil is garbage is a statement, not a belief.

And? I'm waiting for you to make a point of some sort. Did I claim that god or the devil are not real? I said your metaphor was garbage. I don't know how to make it more clear. I don't believe in your god or your devil. Look at that, a statement that is also a belief. Crazy huh?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

youjustcomplain wrote:And? I'm waiting for you to make a point of some sort. Did I claim that god or the devil are not real? I said your metaphor was garbage. I don't know how to make it more clear. I don't believe in your god or your devil. Look at that, a statement that is also a belief. Crazy huh?

So you think my metaphor is garbage? Sorry, but whether it's disease, war, or natural disasters, you'll often hear people asking how could God make this happen. Perhaps you could give me examples of how people are blaming the devil for bad things, you know... maybe an "act of Satan?" I'm sure you can come up with lots to prove how this is "garbage."
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

For me this is all a further indication that a metaphorical approach to the God question is what was intended from the beginning. God and the Devil are personifications of good and evil, like "Mother Nature" or the "Spirit of Christmas". It's when you start that think that these "people" are real (in the sense of individual consciousnesses) that things get complicated.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Gixxer wrote:Watch this everyone as believers will either deflect or avoid answering a simple direct question.

The simple and direct question is.

Why did god let Hitler exist, murder millions?

Ding. Ding. ding.
This is exactly what they do. Well stated, Gixxer.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nomaster wrote:Ding. Ding. ding.

The simple answer is free will. Hitler had a choice to choose good, but he chose Darwinist idea of "Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life" instead.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Gixxer wrote:
Watch this everyone as believers will either deflect or avoid answering a simple direct question.

The simple and direct question is.

Why did god let Hitler exist, murder millions?

Ding. Ding. ding.

I had a theory on the previous page, Glacier has one here... well stated?
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Glacier wrote:The simple answer is free will. Hitler had a choice to choose good, but he chose Darwinist idea of "Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life" instead.

Oh please. Darwin did NOT apply this principle to human life or human "race". He wrote about birds. So, if Hitler had chosen Darwinist ideas, he would have be working with birds, not humans. The man made some really crappy decisions and might have misapplied some of darwins concepts, but you're making it sound like Darwin was racist or even that he identified humans as having different races, which he didn't. I will say that I didn't get through the entire origin of the species, though I've tried, several times, to do so. Maybe he gets to the humans and their race later in the book.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Nomaster wrote:Ding. Ding. ding.

Well, I don't know that this is all that much of a question for a believer to answer. I mean, they must have already answered why their god allows satan and hell to exist before they need to explain why god allowed anyone who does horrible things to exist.

Fact is, many theists not only believe that satan is real and has a very special place for some of us, but they seem all too willing to want others to burn in that special place. Which is to say, not only do they think it's real, but the actively want humans to burn there for eternity. Sounds like a pretty horrible thing to wish upon one another.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

youjustcomplain wrote:Oh please. Darwin did NOT apply this principle to human life or human "race". He wrote about birds. So, if Hitler had chosen Darwinist ideas, he would have be working with birds, not humans. The man made some really crappy decisions and might have misapplied some of darwins concepts, but you're making it sound like Darwin was racist or even that he identified humans as having different races, which he didn't. I will say that I didn't get through the entire origin of the species, though I've tried, several times, to do so. Maybe he gets to the humans and their race later in the book.

Huh? I quoted the book subtitle. Hitler is the one who took Darwin's concepts and applied them to humans.

If you want to know about Darwin's view on the superiority of some human races over others you have to read his other book, "The Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex."

At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilised races of man will almost certainly exterminate, and replace, the savage races throughout the world.
~ Charles Darwin
Last edited by Glacier on Sep 27th, 2016, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

youjustcomplain wrote:
Well, I don't know that this is all that much of a question for a believer to answer. I mean, they must have already answered why their god allows satan and hell to exist before they need to explain why god allowed anyone who does horrible things to exist.

Fact is, many theists not only believe that satan is real and has a very special place for some of us, but they seem all too willing to want others to burn in that special place. Which is to say, not only do they think it's real, but the actively want humans to burn there for eternity. Sounds like a pretty horrible thing to wish upon one another.

As to your first paragraph, there is no answer a person could give you that would satisfy you, so why ask?

As to your second paragraph, you make it sound as if atheists never wish any bad on anyone.... highly doubtful.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If you believe that "God" created the Universe and everything in it then don't you think he might be a bit busy to worry about 1 person?

After all there are billions of Suns and Planets which would mean Quadratrillionbillions of living things out there.

Besides I have it on good authority that she is partial towards the Quorgs of Zxigog in the seventh quadrant and thinks we were a mistake. She will let us destroy ourselves and start fresh.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:If you believe that "God" created the Universe and everything in it then don't you think he might be a bit busy to worry about 1 person?

After all there are billions of Suns and Planets which would mean Quadratrillionbillions of living things out there.

Besides I have it on good authority that she is partial towards the Quorgs of Zxigog in the seventh quadrant and thinks we were a mistake. She will let us destroy ourselves and start fresh.

:up: :laugh:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

NINTENDO.jpg
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Fact is, many theists not only believe that satan is real and has a very special place for some of us, but they seem all too willing to want others to burn in that special place. Which is to say, not only do they think it's real, but the actively want humans to burn there for eternity. Sounds like a pretty horrible thing to wish upon one another.[/quote]

But if something is of use, sociologically speaking, it will persist.
Group rules, group thought, dietary laws, etc probably had a use in the BCE era.
Now we live in a more advances, scientific era and we know why fires burn, or volcanoes erupt, storm clouds develop, or microbes kill us etc, etc.
Religion is therefore less useful to more and more of us Godless types.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”