We Invented Jesus Christ

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: We Invented Jesus Christ

Post by averagejoe »

Necro wrote:I hope National Geographic passes the whole

National Geographic can even get there maps correct....This map is from a NG magazine which I have. What's wrong with this map? Can you figure it out?

Last edited by averagejoe on Oct 18th, 2016, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Necro wrote:The problem Joe is your continued misrepresentation of facts, one might even believe you're doing it on purpose..

Facts about what, LOL your the one saying Christ never existed! [icon_lol2.gif]

You haven't given any evidence except a National Geographic story referencing monty python? [icon_lol2.gif]

Give some ancient evidence.....
Last edited by ferri on Oct 18th, 2016, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

averagejoe wrote:
You haven't given any evidence except a National Geographic story referencing monty python?

Your Ad Hominem attacks against Tom Bissell are all too typical of creationist deflection tactics.

If you have a problem with Simon Worrall's report "These 12 Men Shaped Christianity—But Were They Real?" http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016 ... gbooktalk/ then you can contact him directly here------> http://simonworrallauthor.com/?page_id=14

I'm sure he is looking forward to your revisions.
Did you know 1 of 3 Biden voters are as dumb as the other 2? #LetsGoBrandon!
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Necro wrote: Your Ad Hominem attacks against Tom Bissell are all too typical of creationist deflection tactics.

If you have a problem with Simon Worrall's report "These 12 Men Shaped Christianity—But Were They Real?" then you can contact him directly here------> http://simonworrallauthor.com/?page_id=14 [/b]

I'm sure he is looking forward to your revisions.

I'd rather debate him personally......be more fun. He wouldn't have skeptic or debunking websites to get his dis-information and direction from.

LOL...all too typical of evolutionists deflection tactics. Typical leftist telling half truths.... :1422:

youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

I see evidence for the existence of Jesus. But evidence doesn't mean proof.

To a child, there is evidence of the tooth fairy. They put their tooth under their pillow and the next morning, there is a coin when the tooth once was. To a childs mind, this is proof and they are convinced. To a child a bit older, this is dubious as proof and they begin to become skeptics. Eventually, the kid grows up and throws off any delusions that the tooth fairy is real and explores how else the fact of what happened in the past could be explained. Long before that kid becomes an adult, he/she becomes aware that it was mom or dad all along, and though he/she might long for the magical experience they once felt towards the tooth fairy, they do know it's a trick meant to put them at ease when they were a scared child with a tooth hurting, and wiggling in their mouth.

Do Atheists need proof or evidence that Jesus wasn't real? I'm not so sure. I think the claims of existence lay with the believers. My default position regarding Jesus is that he may have existed as a human born of woman who most definitely was not a virgin. But this is my default position because we all know that virgins don't have babies. We also know these people don't walk on water.

Did Jesus exist? maybe. Did he do everything that Christianity teaches ? There is no reason to believe any of it is true.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

youjustcomplain wrote:I see evidence for the existence of Jesus. But evidence doesn't mean proof.

Did Jesus exist? maybe. Did he do everything that Christianity teaches ? There is no reason to believe any of it is true.

Really....your joking right? :135:

Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Hinduism is one of the oldest known organized religions. Some ancient written texts go back to 1500 BCE.
There are hundreds of millions of adherents. Hindus believe in millions of gods.

Having existed for so long and having so many believers -the myths of the gods must be true.

* Just applying Christian 'logic.'
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Well, that has convinced me that 'miracles' exist.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Nomaster wrote:Hinduism is one of the oldest known organized religions. Some ancient written texts go back to 1500 BCE.
There are hundreds of millions of adherents. Hindus believe in millions of gods.

Having existed for so long and having so many believers -the myths of the gods must be true.

Last time I looked this thread is about "We invented Jesus Christ:..... :up:

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Here is a video for you to study on Jesus the Redeemer...

Where Jesus Walked

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Birth Place of the Christ...

BETHLEHEM, the Grotto of the Nativity (where JESUS CHRIST was born), rare views

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

The Magi or Wisemen from the the Parthian Empire. Sworn enemies of the Roman Empire.

THE WISE MEN COME VISITING

The birth of Jesus Christ caused the world's greatest empire to move exactly according to God's plan and the masses to be electrified by the event. It also caused a group of wise men who were from the East, known as the Magi, to plan and embark on a 1,000+ mile perilous journey in order to pay homage to the One who is the true King of Kings and true Lord of Lords.

Who are the wise men?

The Magi were high-level Parthian priests and very influential members of one of Parthia's two assemblies which elected the empire's monarchs and helped rule the empire. Parthia as an empire began in 247 B.C. and rivaled of the Roman Empire at the time of Christ.

http://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/who- ... jesus.html

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Hostile Non-Biblical Pagan Accounts

There are a number of ancient classical accounts of Jesus from pagan, non-Christian sources. These accounts are generally hostile to Christianity; some ancient authors denied the miraculous nature of Jesus and the events surrounding His life:

Thallus (52AD)
Thallus is perhaps the earliest secular writer to mention Jesus and he is so ancient his writings don’t even exist anymore. But Julius Africanus, writing around 221AD does quote Thallus who previously tried to explain away the darkness occurring at Jesus’ crucifixion:

“On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness; and the rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun.” (Julius Africanus, Chronography, 18:1)

If only more of Thallus’ record could be found, we might find more confirmation of Jesus’ crucifixion. But there are some things we can conclude from this account: Jesus lived, He was crucified, and there was an earthquake and darkness at the point of His crucifixion.

Tacitus (56-120AD)
Cornelius Tacitus was known for his analysis and examination of historical documents and is among the most trusted of ancient historians. He was a senator under Emperor Vespasian and was also proconsul of Asia. In his “Annals’ of 116AD, he describes Emperor Nero’s response to the great fire in Rome and Nero’s claim that the Christians were to blame:

“Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular.”

In this account, Tacitus confirms several historical elements of the Biblical narrative: Jesus lived in Judea, was crucified under Pontius Pilate, and had followers who were persecuted for their faith in Christ.

Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Oh, I forgot the Special Christian Exceptionalism.

Jesus is a unique saviour character. Nothing else like him in the entirety of human myths.

Yeah, right.
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus

One of the many gods prior to Jebus who was born of a God and a mortal woman, lived, died and was resurrected by his father (a celestial God)

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”