Whales in captivity

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
smoky500
Fledgling

Whales in captivity

Post by smoky500 »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#182017

The Vancouver humane society is calling for an end to having whales in captivity and on public display. Kind of hypocritical of them to say :

However, Fricker said in an interview that he believes the amount of research conducted by the aquarium doesn't justify keeping the animals in captivity, and that there is no evidence having animals on display improves the public's knowledge about wildlife.

then: "They should focus on what they're really good at which is rescue, rehabilitation and release," he said.

How do they think they got the knowledge to care for these animals in the first place?

Secondly, how many people have been inspired to become marine biologists after having visited an aquarium and seen these animals in person?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Whales in captivity

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I don't think keeping whales essentially in an enclosure the size of a bathtub (compared to their wild habitat), is teaching us anything productive about them. They can make some great film documentaries to educate the public about their migration, eating, reproductive lives, etc. Watching a whale swim around and around in a small pool and do a few tricks is not teaching the public much about actual wild whales.
I am also not thrilled with too many tourists watching whales in the wild, if it interferes with their feeding or migration, raising of young etc. The number of marine biologists is more limited by the funding for research programs rather than the number of people interested in doing the work.
There are so many alternatives now for sharing with the public how real whales live in the wild, the aquarium-pool approach is not the best, and as far as I am concerned borders on cruelty for the animals.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Why does absolutely everything have to be about us? How about we leave the whales and dolphins alone, in the ocean where they belong? Sure, let's help rehabilitate in extreme circumstances but not keep them on display for any purpose. Animals who cannot survive in the wild should be kept in sea pens, not in cells for our personal use and entertainment.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

The "entertainment" factor serves 2 purposes. It draws humans in, who pay money, that subsidizes other rescue missions that do return the injured wildlife back to nature and the entertainment are designed to promote a healthy level of activity, both physically and mentally. (It keeps them from becoming lethargic and pleasantly motivated). The same principles are used in long-term care for the elderly. (Just without the audience and the pay).
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

A healthy whale in its prime has absolutely nothing in common with an elderly person in a nursing home, as far as requirement for exercise, mental stimulation, or the adequacy of being "cared for " by humans. These are wild animals, which normally migrate thousands of miles in a year and through no fault of their own humans have given them some Disney characteristics because they seem "cute". Do you think humans would find this acceptable to basically be put in prison for life with no life compared to what they would have had if they were living in the wild. I can't imagine a more miserable experience for these majestic creatures. Humans mess up their natural habitat and then "save" them to put them in a worse yet habitat. it's disgusting.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Weird how both whiles died suddenly. Either a freak coincidence or maybe they they were poisoned by animal rights activists that are bitter over the fact the Vancouver aquarium isn't getting shut down completely.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

I don't know. How many of the aquarium whales were caught for the sole purpose of entertainment? How many of the other animals are there because they were injured, nursed back to health, were young when they came in and not suitable for release due to their ability to be able to survive on their own?
A young Orca that is either abandoned or becomes entangled in an old net and left to die, is rescued, nursed, and hand fed by humans, can not survive on it's own if released back into the wild. To do so, would guarantee it's slow and certain death.

No More Wild Whale Capture
Shortly after this, our understanding of wild populations of killer whales changed radically. It was believed that thousands of killer whales lived off the shores of British Columbia, but a census taken in the early seventies showed populations were alarming low at around 300. This realization led to the banning of capturing wild whales for display in aquaria.

https://www.vanaqua.org/act/research/ce ... -cetaceans

Protecting Animals
Our mission at the Vancouver Aquarium is to conserve aquatic life through display and interpretation, education, research and direct action. As growth and progress continue to consume our natural resources more quickly than they can replenish, more species will face extinction. The Vancouver Aquarium is tackling global conservation issues with a focus on encouraging Canadians to take an active role to help our natural world stay healthy and abundant.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

w84u2 wrote:I don't know. How many of the aquarium whales were caught for the sole purpose of entertainment?

Aurora was the last remaining captured cetacean.

w84u2 wrote:How many of the other animals are there because they were injured, nursed back to health, were young when they came in and not suitable for release due to their ability to be able to survive on their own?

The aquarium currently has one orca and one dolphin. Both are rescues. The dolphin has had her pectoral fins amputated due to damage from being trapped in a net. The orca has been pronounced as non-releasable by the DFO as he was stranded at an early age and would be unable to survive in the wild.

There is one porpoise currently. She is a rescue and has also been deemed as non-releasable.

There are six otters. They are also rescues.

There's also a variety of seals - again, rescues.

Releasing any of these animals to the wild will seal their fate as food or fodder for the healthy inhabitants of our coastal waters.

As you've pointed out, the aquarium is very clear that they no longer capture healthy cetaceans from the wild. They do not put on huge shows as you might expect from Sea World or the like. It is very much a display of conservation effort and a focus on education.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Social Concerns”