Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Queen K »

Check yer PM Slootman. :D
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Any tips on keeping slugs away from lettuce? I think last year they ate as much as I did... :-X
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Grow lettuce in great big containers? I let some lettuce to seed and have it coming up all over the place. That way we spread the lettuce love abit. I rarely just have it in a row anymore.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Is there anything I could plant past a fence that wouldnt be eaten by animals or birds?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm trying to imagine how you mean "past a fence" like a planting a long a fence in a backally? Or in an area that is technically the responsibility of the City of Kelowna? :135:
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

There's a field out back, city easement or something. Coyotes and nothin from where I sit. I could plant stuff, I just don't want it to get eaten.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You could probably throw in some sort of nut trees if you're not worried about shade. Long term investment, but nuts are expensive by the pound. Is it a dry area? For myself, I'd have to give it lots more thought.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Yeah dry for sure. I could run water to it if needed.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Lady tehMa, Bman, pbear: any ideas here, I got nothing.
Last edited by Queen K on Jan 22nd, 2017, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

slootman wrote:Is there anything I could plant past a fence that wouldnt be eaten by animals or birds?

Hawthorne, Lilac, Wisteria, Holly......?
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Trees, definitely. Are you looking for visual interest? Are you looking to get some kind of food out of it for yourself?

Trees, look into the neighbourwoods program - you can buy one tree for cheap https://www.kelowna.ca/parks-recreation/urban-trees-wildlife/neighbourwoods The next one is in March. I got an oak from them a few years ago, healthy (slow growing though) tree.

I love getting stuff the provides food - like the tayberry canes I got off QK last year.

One thing you could do is do the wildflower seed mix. You would have to water, but having a field of glorious blooms would be worth it. QK used to do something like that in a field before the field became a development. Plus, you'd make the hummingbirds, butterflies and bees happy.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It was the best thing ever to do. I suspect Slootman is looking for a food source that the deer won't eat, but he has clarify that himself.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

My raised beds are in a hot SW facing garden near a rock wall. I have discovered that I need to provide some shade for the lettuce, either by having tall plants in front or a shade cloth on a trellis. My radish crop is the first one in the early spring. After that the soil is too hot and they taste horrible.
Peas and beans do well. Tomatoes thrive. Beets and carrots, herbs, etc all grow well.
Have fun!
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Yes, I'm looking to plant food. I already have tons of plants and flowers that keep the birds and bees busy. I have spots that will be fenced off - there's another area not fenced that I could plant more, I'm just greedy and don't want to share with wildlife.

Peas and beans sound interesting. Maybe carrots too.

Anything I should try to start indoors?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm downtown and I share with wildlife whether I like it or not. [icon_lol2.gif] I wake up and find my tulips have been sampled, the petunias, the pea tops.

What would like hot dry conditions, repel wildlife, or at least not attract them? You've got a tall order there Slootman.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”